new member that im scared to be a part of

eworell
eworell Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i guess the question really is ... how did this happen to me??? im 37..
im scared...

Comments

• mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    There's no Answer
    No one can answer that question - cancer is a random thing that affects so many different people with different lifestyles, backgrounds and health profiles. It affects all ages - on young women here online is 29 - you are 37 - I'm 49 - and some of us are over 60. It is a life experience that we can either give in to or learn from. Reading the profiles and posts from the women who are cancer survivors on a longer-term basis, cancer changes you - but it can make you a stronger, more compassionate person - more appreciative of life and who you really are. But at the beginning, its just scary and keeps you awake at night.

Focus on the positive - It can be beat. You can do this. We are here to help you through. Read through the older posts. You will find information, understanding, and solace. Allow yourself to feel what you feel - but know that there is hope. There is treatment. There are friends to support you through it all.

Sending hugs, prayers and positive vibes your way -

A fellow-sister in the breast cancer fight,

Lori
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Of course you are scared...
    But you have come to a good place for support, comfort, advice and information. The ladies here know what it's like to face our fears, overcome them, and move forward even though it's possibly the hardest challenge we've ever had to face. We are here to help you. Do not be afraid to ask questions and to vent. None of us knows the answer to "Why me?", or how it happens to one woman but not another. Please keep us informed of your progress, we want to know how you're doing. Hugs and prayers. Gracie
  • eworell

There's no Answer
    No one can answer that question - cancer is a random thing that affects so many different people with different lifestyles, backgrounds and health profiles. It affects all ages - on young women here online is 29 - you are 37 - I'm 49 - and some of us are over 60. It is a life experience that we can either give in to or learn from. Reading the profiles and posts from the women who are cancer survivors on a longer-term basis, cancer changes you - but it can make you a stronger, more compassionate person - more appreciative of life and who you really are. But at the beginning, its just scary and keeps you awake at night.

Focus on the positive - It can be beat. You can do this. We are here to help you through. Read through the older posts. You will find information, understanding, and solace. Allow yourself to feel what you feel - but know that there is hope. There is treatment. There are friends to support you through it all.

Sending hugs, prayers and positive vibes your way -

A fellow-sister in the breast cancer fight,

Lori

everything helps...
    it amazes me how many people are affected by this...i had 1 surgery, and i have to get another, and then go to chemo in Jan. I think that is the scary part for me..I really have been quite positive.
    But its great to have some people to talk to about what im going thru. thank you
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi eworell
    You would be crazy not to be scared...we all are especially at the beginning. I truly thought in may that I was mentally losing it. I never thought I would see the day where cancer wasnt the first thing I thought about in the morning and the last thing at night. But I managed to make it thru bilateral mastectomy, chemo, and will start a clinical trial in dec and still have breast reconstruction to do. I have found that I have more peace of mind now because I trust that my oncologist has recommended the most aggressive treatments she can for me and found me a clinical trial to do as well.

Life is good eworell and you are stronger than you think you are. No one knows why we were dealt this hand, but we were and its up to us how we handle it.

Stay strong and remember... you have cancer, cancer does not have you.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • eworell
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi eworell
    You would be crazy not to be scared...we all are especially at the beginning. I truly thought in may that I was mentally losing it. I never thought I would see the day where cancer wasnt the first thing I thought about in the morning and the last thing at night. But I managed to make it thru bilateral mastectomy, chemo, and will start a clinical trial in dec and still have breast reconstruction to do. I have found that I have more peace of mind now because I trust that my oncologist has recommended the most aggressive treatments she can for me and found me a clinical trial to do as well.

Life is good eworell and you are stronger than you think you are. No one knows why we were dealt this hand, but we were and its up to us how we handle it.

Stay strong and remember... you have cancer, cancer does not have you.

Hugs
    Linda T

amazing
    Its so amazing to have so many wonderful people around... I do have to say I try not to think about this all the time... I try very hard to push that to the back of my head . I had a lumpectomy, and i have healed from that. now im dreading the rest of evrything. Chemo and radiation.
    Life is Good!!!! im alive and so are all the great people i have just spoke with on this site.

thank you !!!
    hugs
    Erica W
  • kimber10
    kimber10 Member Posts: 47
    eworell said:

amazing
    Its so amazing to have so many wonderful people around... I do have to say I try not to think about this all the time... I try very hard to push that to the back of my head . I had a lumpectomy, and i have healed from that. now im dreading the rest of evrything. Chemo and radiation.
    Life is Good!!!! im alive and so are all the great people i have just spoke with on this site.

thank you !!!
    hugs
    Erica W

Hi Erica,
    it is a scary

Hi Erica,
    it is a scary scary thing and it always amazes me the things that we can get through even when we are not sure we can I was diagnosed at 38 now at 40 after 2 lumpectomys and a bilat mastectomy in July I find that all is possible with support and a positive attitude.
    Reading the posts and comments on this site have helped me more than I can say.
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    eworell said:

amazing

thank you !!!
    hugs
    Erica W

We're at the same point in our treatment.
    Hi, Erica,

welcome to a wonderful group of caring people! I had a lumpectomy two weeks ago and will begin radiation treatment on Dec. 7, to be followed by chemotherapy.

I just wanted to tell you that you have a right to be scared! This is a scary thing to have happen to us! With the support of everyone here and in your real-world life, you WILL get through it. Keep reminding yourself of the thousands of women who have survived breast cancer for years and years--right after I announced my diagnosis to friends, I had people contacting me saying, "I'm a 20-year survivor, I'm a 12-year survivor, I'm a 28-year survivor . . ." All of those women have contributed to the knowledge they have to treat cancer nowadays.

It's amazing.

Yes, life is good, and you and I will both be enjoying it for a long time to come.

Hugs! Sandy
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    HI Erica, Everyone is
    HI Erica, Everyone is scared. This site is great, full of support,advice, and experience.
    Remember it is all about you and there is treatment.
    Positive vibes to you. Peace
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Erica. Welcome to this
    Hi, Erica. Welcome to this amazing group of people. I have had a lumpectomy, too and have completed my chemo as of October 15th. I am currently going through my radiation treatment. You can get through this. It's not always easy but it is in fact doable. We'll be here every step of the way and will help in any way we can. You can do it!!