Malfunctioning Machine

Aud
Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Ok, so maybe I have trust issues. Went to Philadelphia today (Sunday; they are closed Thursday and Friday, no treatment those days, since cancer takes a holiday too) for my 16th radiation treatment (rectal cancer) and all of us waiting were told that there was something wrong with the machine--bad motor--and it will be fixed tomorrow, Monday. So that will be 3 treatments this week, instead of 4 (typically 5). We were told that the treatment missed today will be added on later.

During my 1st treatment, I had noticed what felt like something banging against the table I was lying on. When I brought it up, they checked it out and said that the rotating part of the machine was hitting a metal clip that was on the underside of the table. The remedy was to shift the table mid-treatment to avoid contact with the machine and table. They said that they have to do this for other patients for other reasons and they're accustomed to doing it. My radiation oncologist assured me that treatment was not compromised.

So now, irrationally or otherwise, I worry that if all this is going to work out. (beating the Beast, that is.)

Of course, I took 3 Xeloda this morning for nothing. I suppose I can get a script for 3 pills for my last treatment.
Audrey

Comments

• 4law
    4law Member Posts: 110
    Malfunctioning Machine
    What hospital?
  • neon356
    neon356 Member Posts: 137 Member
    hi Audrey,
    It's

hi Audrey,
    It's good to have trust issues. It's part of having to be your own advocate when fighting the Beast. You were concerned, and you followed up by asking the right questions. I do agree with the Doc, though, in that I doubt that your treatment was compromised. It happens all the time that a treatment may have to be postponed for one reason or another. I'd be relieved that they wouldn't want to zap me with a broken machine instead of doing it anyway just to keep on schedule. I think we all get concerned when there's a delay.
    Carl
  • Aud
    4law said:

Malfunctioning Machine
    What hospital?

Pennsylvania Hospital,
    Pennsylvania Hospital, associated with HUP (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania). they have a good reputation.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Treatment
    I can understand your concern for treatment but like said previously, I do believe they do know what they are doing. It's easy to be so "uneasy" about hiccups in our routine. We always feel that this is going to be bad for treatment or we won't get enough treatment or we aren't on the right schedule for treatment. Well, there are a lot of things that can happen to delay treatment and listening and believing your doctor is their concern for your well being otherwise they wouldn't be doctors. Good luck with the upcoming treatment.

Kim
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299
    Aud said:

Pennsylvania Hospital,
    Pennsylvania Hospital, associated with HUP (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania). they have a good reputation.

PENNSYLVANIA IS A GOOD
    PENNSYLVANIA IS A GOOD HOSPITAL. ANY TEACHING HOSPITAL IS GOOD BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BUNCH OF DOCTORS LOOKING AT YOUR CASE AND NOT JUST ONE LIKE IN REGULAR HOSPITALS AND EVERYONE IS COMPARING NOTES.I GO TO LANKENAU IN PHILA FOR MY DOCTORS AND CHEMO AND PAOLI FOR ALL MY SCANS.
    MY DOCTOR SAYS THE STAFF OF THE CANCER CENTER HAS REGULAR MEETINGS AND MY NAME COMES UP ALL THE TIME.
    PHILADELPHIA MAGAZINE RATED PENN,LANKENAU,PAOLI, BRYN MHWR,KENNEDY.AND FOX CHASE IN THE TOP 10
    I FORGET THE OTHER 4
    GOD BLESS
    KATE
  • Aud

Treatment
    I can understand your concern for treatment but like said previously, I do believe they do know what they are doing. It's easy to be so "uneasy" about hiccups in our routine. We always feel that this is going to be bad for treatment or we won't get enough treatment or we aren't on the right schedule for treatment. Well, there are a lot of things that can happen to delay treatment and listening and believing your doctor is their concern for your well being otherwise they wouldn't be doctors. Good luck with the upcoming treatment.

Kim

thanks, Everyone.
    had

thanks, Everyone.
    had treatment today -- uneventful. they are actually offering treatment this thursday, Thanksgiving. of course, I made an appointment.
    Audrey