Options
Kat395
Kat395 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good Morning,
I am in need of information. I was just diagnoised with Breast Cancer November 19, 2009. My first step once to talk with family and friends. But now I don't know what I need to do next. I am feeling overwhelmed. Should I get a second opinion? I will be having a test done first (can't remember the name) to check my kidney function. From what I understand, if that test is good I will then have a Breast MRI the day before Thansgiving. I will then talk to the surgeon on December 2nd. I was also told that 4 weeks after my surgery I will start radiation.

Kat

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    normal feelings
    Feelings of fear and uncertainty are common for all of us who hear we have cancer. It sounds like your medical team is making good choices at this stage, but a second opinion would be good if it will give you peace of mind. There are a lot of hard decisions involved with cancer treatment. Unfortunately none of them offer a guaranteed outcome. Drs. are learning more all the time, but they are still learning. Cancer treatment is not like math...if you have 2 and get 2 more you will always have 4 apples every time, no matter what, whether you use apples, dogs, or icecream. That being said, You are the one who has to live with your decisions, so you have the final word. Be sure that you have enough information to help you feel confident that you are making the best decision you can. It is helpful to have a person with you to go to the Dr. and keep a notebook where you can write down questions when you are not in the presence of the Dr. There are too many questions to remember them all, and it is hard to absorb all the information you get while you are sitting in the office.

This site is a great place to come to hear the voice of experience and to share yours. Best wishes, seof
  • roseann
    roseann Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm so sorry Kat.
    Hi Kat,

I would wait until you have all the information from your tests to get a second opinion. I did not have a test for kidney function but that may have something to do with a potential treatment option unless you have a history of kidney issues. I had an MRI, CAT Scan, and Bone Scan before the surgeon made any recommendations. That took about a week. Unless there are obvious reasons for a mastectomy, the surgeons will wait until they get the results of all ordered tests to tell us what they recommend. The MRI will tell them if the cancer is isolated to one area or if there are other areas of concern in the breast. My surgeon said that I needed that MRI before she would recommend a lumpectomy or mastectomy. In my case, a partial mastectomy was recommended. That is where they take more tissue than a lumpectomy but my breast was not removed. I was back to work in 5 days. They also removed my sentinal node and 2 other nodes for biopsy. Cancer cells can leave the breast through the lymph system so if they are positive, chemo is recommended. My nodes were negative, so they ordered an OncoTypeDX test to see if chemo would help my long term prognosis. If you are node negative and Stage 1 or 2, I would ask for this test. I decided against chemo based on the results of that test. I had 33 radiation treatments which caused some irritation of the breast tissue but in my case it was not a horrible experience. Some suffer more serious burning but there are prescription cremes that help. I used over the counter aloe and did not have any blistering or what they call "breakdown". My cancer was estrogen receptive so I will take a drug for that for 5 years. I have been on it for 3 months and so far I have no obvious side effects but some have joint pain from these drugs.

Everyone's situation is different, but I wanted you to know that this is a one step at a time process. The fact that they did not mention chemo is a good sign. They told me all along that I might need chemo but they are only talking about radiation so far in your case. My guess is that they think your BC is very early.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving. My Mom used to say, "This too shall pass" and it will.

Hugs.

Roseann
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome, newbie. It does
    Welcome, newbie. It does sound that your dx was early in the disease. The more you learn about bc the more grateful you will be for the early diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy & rads--no chemo--and I am back to about 95% of my normal stamina. Toward the end of rads it was a little rough, but I got through it, since the end was in sight.

Good luck in your treatments & keep us posted. Hugs & prayers sent your way....
  • LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Dear Kat,
    Even though I'm

Dear Kat,

Even though I'm very sorry you have to be here, I'm glad you are. You will find that you can get support and answers from everyone. The one little piece of advice I have for you is if it's possible, take someone with you to your oncologist (and any other) appointments to be a second pair of eyes and ears. This is so overwhelming that sometimes you'll leave the office and think to yourself, "What?!" If you can't take some one, take paper and pencil to write down what the doctors are telling you. That way, if you don't remember, you can look at your notes. If you don't understand them, post them here and we'll try to help.

You can do this, Kat!

Peace,
    Linda
  • LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    LC815 said:

Dear Kat,
    Even though I'm

Dear Kat,

Even though I'm very sorry you have to be here, I'm glad you are. You will find that you can get support and answers from everyone. The one little piece of advice I have for you is if it's possible, take someone with you to your oncologist (and any other) appointments to be a second pair of eyes and ears. This is so overwhelming that sometimes you'll leave the office and think to yourself, "What?!" If you can't take some one, take paper and pencil to write down what the doctors are telling you. That way, if you don't remember, you can look at your notes. If you don't understand them, post them here and we'll try to help.

You can do this, Kat!

Peace,
    Linda

So, how silly am I? You
    So, how silly am I? You already got this great advice from Seof!! Sheesh, maybe I ought to read before I post. Sorry for the repeat.

Hugs,
    Linda
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kat
    Some women choose to get 2nd, 3rd, even 4th opinions, some don't. Personally, I felt comfortable with the first surgeon and oncologist I met with, both of whom had been recommended by other doctors whom I trust, so I didn't pursue any 2nd opinions.

I took a lot of sh** about that from some other breast cancer survivors (NOT on this board) who feel strongly that you should always get multiple opinions, but I feel equally strongly that every woman should just trust her gut about what's right for her.

I will suggest to you that I think it's important to meet with an oncologist, not just a surgeon, as early in the process as possible. Even though an oncologist can't definitively nail down a treatment plan until after surgery, he/she can talk with you about treatment options and possible other tests that may be helpful.

My surgeon and oncologist worked together before and after my surgery, and each brought a different perspective that I found really helpful for me.

Please come here often, and post any questions you may have -- these women and men are the best companions you could ever have for this journey you're starting.

Traci
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Kat
    Some women choose to get 2nd, 3rd, even 4th opinions, some don't. Personally, I felt comfortable with the first surgeon and oncologist I met with, both of whom had been recommended by other doctors whom I trust, so I didn't pursue any 2nd opinions.

I took a lot of sh** about that from some other breast cancer survivors (NOT on this board) who feel strongly that you should always get multiple opinions, but I feel equally strongly that every woman should just trust her gut about what's right for her.

I will suggest to you that I think it's important to meet with an oncologist, not just a surgeon, as early in the process as possible. Even though an oncologist can't definitively nail down a treatment plan until after surgery, he/she can talk with you about treatment options and possible other tests that may be helpful.

My surgeon and oncologist worked together before and after my surgery, and each brought a different perspective that I found really helpful for me.

Please come here often, and post any questions you may have -- these women and men are the best companions you could ever have for this journey you're starting.

Traci

Hi Kat
    Welcome but sorry for the reason you had to find us. You have already gotten some good advice from others here. When I was dxed I didn't know where to turn. My primary dr gave the name of a surgeon and a good friend told me about her experience at a breast cancer center. I went to the first surgeon fully loaded, notebook, questions and a very supportive husband. The surgeon examined my breasts, lymph node area, looked at my xrays, biopsy report, answered a few questions and then wanted to schedule me for a masectomy the following week, then chemo. When I asked him about the lymph nodes he said he'd deal with that when he was operating, and I might have to have a second surgery to remove the lymph nodes. The next day I went to a breast cancer surgeon for a second opinion. She was so thorough, ordered more tests, found that my lymph node area was swollen and ordered another biopsy, which showed cancer there too. She spent a good hour with us. The oncologists are in the same building, as well as chemo and rad area right there. It just made sense to go with her. After tests came back I found out that I was ER+, Her2-, had a fairly low score on the Oncotype test (indicating whether chemo would be beneficial or not). The oncologist put me on an estrogen inhibitor drug, my tumors are shrinking enough that I soon be able to have surgery, maybe a lumpectomy instead of a masectomy. I found a cancer center team that works together within a half-hour from my home. It makes it so much easier. If you feel confident that the surgeon is knowledgeable and well experienced and has a good team in place, answers your questions and makes you feel comfortable, that will help. I just saw the value of getting a second opinion because I felt rushed, uncomfortable with his breast cancer experience and he wasn't as thorough. Sorry this is so long. Keep us posted. Lots of hugs coming your way.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Hi Kat
    Welcome but sorry for the reason you had to find us. You have already gotten some good advice from others here. When I was dxed I didn't know where to turn. My primary dr gave the name of a surgeon and a good friend told me about her experience at a breast cancer center. I went to the first surgeon fully loaded, notebook, questions and a very supportive husband. The surgeon examined my breasts, lymph node area, looked at my xrays, biopsy report, answered a few questions and then wanted to schedule me for a masectomy the following week, then chemo. When I asked him about the lymph nodes he said he'd deal with that when he was operating, and I might have to have a second surgery to remove the lymph nodes. The next day I went to a breast cancer surgeon for a second opinion. She was so thorough, ordered more tests, found that my lymph node area was swollen and ordered another biopsy, which showed cancer there too. She spent a good hour with us. The oncologists are in the same building, as well as chemo and rad area right there. It just made sense to go with her. After tests came back I found out that I was ER+, Her2-, had a fairly low score on the Oncotype test (indicating whether chemo would be beneficial or not). The oncologist put me on an estrogen inhibitor drug, my tumors are shrinking enough that I soon be able to have surgery, maybe a lumpectomy instead of a masectomy. I found a cancer center team that works together within a half-hour from my home. It makes it so much easier. If you feel confident that the surgeon is knowledgeable and well experienced and has a good team in place, answers your questions and makes you feel comfortable, that will help. I just saw the value of getting a second opinion because I felt rushed, uncomfortable with his breast cancer experience and he wasn't as thorough. Sorry this is so long. Keep us posted. Lots of hugs coming your way.

Hi and welcome Kat. I had a
    Hi and welcome Kat. I had a lumpectomy, followed by rads. I am not on tamoxifen as I choose not to at this time. I wish you luck.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

Hi and welcome Kat. I had a
    Hi and welcome Kat. I had a lumpectomy, followed by rads. I am not on tamoxifen as I choose not to at this time. I wish you luck.

Welcome kat
    I was Dx last April. Yes, they have to do all the test's. It will seem as if you are always waiting for results. No, I take that back you will always be waiting for results. At some point though you will have all the information you need and you will learn to understand what they mean. It's a hard start. I found the CSN boards to be so helpful. I was scared like you ( still am ) all you have to do is ask and someone here will have an answer. It's sometimes hard to talk to family or friends about how we feel. It's not that they don't want to help us, its just sometimes they can't help. They don't really understand. Make a list of all your questions and bring them to your doctor visits. It also helps if you can have someone with you when you go for your doctor visits. You will not remember all that they tell you. The MRI does not hurt, its just uncomfortable. I wish you well, hang in there.