anyone have advice on port++++please

newbiefromcananda
newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my port put in yesterday at 12 noon they couldn't find the "big wein" so they had to call another dr in to put it in my jugular vein, I know alot of people on here had no trouble with their port but I am sooooo sore, I am bruised +++++no fever , I have swelling+++ because they had to do it 2 times,i have a scar in my nech which is also sore+++ I feel very heavy in that area ....any advice ??? not sure if I can put cold pak on there I am so tired already and I havent even startd chemo yet :(....Lisa

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    It sounds as if you are
    It sounds as if you are singing my song~ your quick, in and out insta-port ended up a lot like mine did! My neck was swollen to 3X its size, I have a scar on my neck, and a big dent where the port sat for 18 months! Yes, it was there for 18 months...my Dr wanted me to keep if FOREVER, "just in case" as it was such a B-witch to put in! It was a God-Send during chemo, and I don't regret having had it done~ I did do the ice packs, I hope you do too!! They helped me sooo much! By the end of the weekend I was just fine. I insisted after the 18 months to get the port out~ I am sure that is why there is a dent in my chest, but ya know, if that's the worst to happen to me, I'm ok with that!

For the record, I had that port put in in 2003~ it is almost 2010 with no recurrance. I am glad I didn't keep the port in~ what a bummer to have ones DR think I might need it again. GRRRR! but if, if, if, I need it again, I will simply request ( no make that demand!) a vascular surgeon!

Hugs, and put ice on that swollen throat!

Chen♥
  • newbiefromcananda
    chenheart said:

It sounds as if you are
    It sounds as if you are singing my song~ your quick, in and out insta-port ended up a lot like mine did! My neck was swollen to 3X its size, I have a scar on my neck, and a big dent where the port sat for 18 months! Yes, it was there for 18 months...my Dr wanted me to keep if FOREVER, "just in case" as it was such a B-witch to put in! It was a God-Send during chemo, and I don't regret having had it done~ I did do the ice packs, I hope you do too!! They helped me sooo much! By the end of the weekend I was just fine. I insisted after the 18 months to get the port out~ I am sure that is why there is a dent in my chest, but ya know, if that's the worst to happen to me, I'm ok with that!

For the record, I had that port put in in 2003~ it is almost 2010 with no recurrance. I am glad I didn't keep the port in~ what a bummer to have ones DR think I might need it again. GRRRR! but if, if, if, I need it again, I will simply request ( no make that demand!) a vascular surgeon!

Hugs, and put ice on that swollen throat!

Chen♥

hi chen I am unsure if I
    hi chen I am unsure if I have an infection or not?? it has only been 24 hours but re+++ and swollen so?I don't know what to do?
  • chenheart

hi chen I am unsure if I
    hi chen I am unsure if I have an infection or not?? it has only been 24 hours but re+++ and swollen so?I don't know what to do?

Well, the advice we give all
    Well, the advice we give all of our Kindred Spirits here is CALL YOUR DR! It doesn't matter what time it is, or if he is not there~ someone will be on call and can advise you.
    None of this is to be taken lightly~ err on the side of caution. I called the med center one Saturday at 3AM cuz I hadn't pooped in 5 days! The Drs are not irritated or embarrassed by our calls and questions to them~ even with socialized medicine! LOL ( I was raised in Germany, I too am a socialized medicine baby!)
    Call and get back to us~ if you do have an infection you will need meds, AND it can hinder your chemo schedule! Take care of this sweetie. No, I am not scaring you, just pushing you! Cuz you are now Family!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member

hi chen I am unsure if I

Keep taps on your body temp.
    Keep taps on your body temp. If it gets to 100.4 call your doctor; could be an infection brewing. This is the magic number I had to keep checking for. I kept ice on mine the first 2 days and it helped with the pain as well as the swelling. Did you get any pain meds? If so take them. And most important don't be afraid to call your doctor--that's what he's there for.

Keep us posted.
    Sher
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Lisa
    I had my port put in 2 months ago. It was very painful and took a full week to recover. Horrible scarring and bruising. I had a heavy feeling when taking a deep breath, like a spasm, I guess because something foreign in the neck area. But that went away after a week or so. I still don't touch the port area, just to pat around it to wash. It just feels gross. I don't like it, but it has to be. I hope yours does ok for you.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    laurissa said:

Hi Lisa
    I had my port put in 2 months ago. It was very painful and took a full week to recover. Horrible scarring and bruising. I had a heavy feeling when taking a deep breath, like a spasm, I guess because something foreign in the neck area. But that went away after a week or so. I still don't touch the port area, just to pat around it to wash. It just feels gross. I don't like it, but it has to be. I hope yours does ok for you.

you are prob sore and
    you are prob sore and swollen from the manipulations they did to try to get the port where they wanted it. esp if they attempted somewhere else soon. look for it being hot, having discharge, temp, increased redness and getting worse instead of better. and never hesitate to call. You never want to wish you had.
  • newbiefromcananda
    carkris said:

you are prob sore and
    you are prob sore and swollen from the manipulations they did to try to get the port where they wanted it. esp if they attempted somewhere else soon. look for it being hot, having discharge, temp, increased redness and getting worse instead of better. and never hesitate to call. You never want to wish you had.

Thank you everyone!!! my
    Thank you everyone!!! my temp was good all night and I kept a small ice pack on it and it looks so much better today so again thanks xxxxooooooo
  • chenheart

Thank you everyone!!! my
    Thank you everyone!!! my temp was good all night and I kept a small ice pack on it and it looks so much better today so again thanks xxxxooooooo

I am so happy that you do
    I am so happy that you do not have a temp and that you are feeling better! Glad you were able to keep an ice pack on it~ :-)

Hugs,
    C♥
  • spoonchek
    spoonchek Member Posts: 30
    chenheart said:

I am so happy that you do
    I am so happy that you do not have a temp and that you are feeling better! Glad you were able to keep an ice pack on it~ :-)

Hugs,
    C♥

Your Port long term
    I had my port put in Sept 2008 and its still a bit sore today. Take heart, you will heal and I wish you good oncology nurses that have a steady hand so when they access your port its with a minimum of fuss. Most of them are just fine at it, so don't worry. Your scar on your neck will eventually heal and things will calm down, I promise. My best to you in your chemo, I understand having had 16 rounds of chemo myself. My prayers to you.....and all of us.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Lisa
    Im glad your port site is better today. I would still watch it for increased redness, warmth swelling,drainage and inc pain or temp, all of which are signs of infection. I will say though that I have had mine for 6 months and am sooooooooooooo glad its there. Its really a godsend for someone like me who hates needles.

Hang in there

Linda T
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Lisa, I'm sorry you are
    Lisa, I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I too was very sore after having mine put in and again after it was removed. But it was as Claudia said, a Godsend during chemo. It will make your life much easier, you will see. I must say I never heard of having it in the juglar vein. Mine was below my collar bone. I hope you feel better very soon.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Eil4186 said:

Lisa, I'm sorry you are
    Lisa, I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I too was very sore after having mine put in and again after it was removed. But it was as Claudia said, a Godsend during chemo. It will make your life much easier, you will see. I must say I never heard of having it in the juglar vein. Mine was below my collar bone. I hope you feel better very soon.

Lisa
    Sorry to hear that you

Lisa
    Sorry to hear that you are having a rough go of it. Prayers that this will get better soon.
    Stef
    093008 Member Posts: 6
    fauxma said:

Lisa
    Sorry to hear that you

Lisa
    Sorry to hear that you are having a rough go of it. Prayers that this will get better soon.
    Stef

Lisa
    When I had mine put in

Lisa
    When I had mine put in I thought it was worse than the 2 lumpectomies I had just gone through. It does make chemo a lot easier. I have had it in for a year and am getting it out on Monday the 30th. That is when I will know that this chapter is closed. Good luck to you, hopefully the pain has lessened.
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    port
    I had my port put in on nov9,09 and have not had any problems with it.i just make sure that i dont put my bag on that are and the seatbelt has to be pulled down some if not it will make me have a lot of pain.I do find myself looking at it every day for some reason.I am happy that i have it because the morning i went to have it put it they had to stick me 10times to get an iv in and was talking about going for my neck for the iv that is when i said i am going home..lol and started to get off the table. They did find a vein in my arm for the iv good thing it didnt have to stay in long.My doctor was like this is why i want you to have a port.I guess i will learn to love it.start chemo on monday nov23,09
  • newbiefromcananda

port
    I had my port put in on nov9,09 and have not had any problems with it.i just make sure that i dont put my bag on that are and the seatbelt has to be pulled down some if not it will make me have a lot of pain.I do find myself looking at it every day for some reason.I am happy that i have it because the morning i went to have it put it they had to stick me 10times to get an iv in and was talking about going for my neck for the iv that is when i said i am going home..lol and started to get off the table. They did find a vein in my arm for the iv good thing it didnt have to stay in long.My doctor was like this is why i want you to have a port.I guess i will learn to love it.start chemo on monday nov23,09

Thanks everyone I feel
    Thanks everyone I feel better today, tightness still, went for a walk today (short one) still scared at the thought .....I feel that if I don't go to bed on Tues night maybe wed am won't come lol.......Lisa
  • terpsi
    terpsi Member Posts: 33
    port
    Hi Lisa,

Hope you are feeling a bit better. I had a port installed April 29 and immediately went for chemo. My procedure was smooth, but my neck was very sore for a few days. The neck is a sensitive area and does get and stay more sore than the other incision. I kept taking my temperature to monitor for possible infection, but all was fine. I have also had a PICC line (in 2004 after my original diagnosis), and this time with the PowerPort I am so glad I have it. After my first round with chemo I no longer have a decent vein, so the port is fantastic.

My doctor said I'll have a little break from chemo early next year, and my first question was whether I could keep the port inserted--I was relieved to learn I could keep it. So far I have had no problems with it, though, once in a while I feel it under my skin but just wriggle around a bit until the feeling goes away. My husband suggested they add LEDs to the design so the three little points light up through the skin; I like the idea.

Anyway, good luck with the port and with your chemo. Try to relax as much as you possibly can; it's one of the huge challenges of going through all of this. Anything you can do to help yourself relax and sleep well will help you; you need all the rest you can get. I meditate and do progressive relaxation or guided imagery, and when needed, I take Ativan/lorazepam. Mostly, be kind and gentle to yourself and allow yourself to rest as much as you need. It will help.

Hugs,
    donna peach