reconstruction after rads-any success stories?

spearce59
spearce59 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon next week to begin discussing reconstruction. Has anyone had a good outcome after radiation? It seems like there are only discussions about problems. I am undecided at this point as to what to do.
Thanks-

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi spearce59
    Did you have a mascetomy or lumpectomy? Give us just a little more info please and I'm sure someone can help you. I had a lumpectomy and one year after rads I had reconstruction/reduction. My surgery was a success. Lots of decisions to be made hope we can help.

Jadie<3
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Hi spearce
    I'm with Jadie, I had a partial Mastectomy, had reconstruction started in August of this year, about a year and a half after rads were finished. So far so good, not finished yet, but I did not have reduction. Had the free flap from the tummy to the breast, then an implant in the unaffected breast for symetry.
    =^..^=
  • spearce59
    Jadie said:

Hi spearce59
    Did you have a mascetomy or lumpectomy? Give us just a little more info please and I'm sure someone can help you. I had a lumpectomy and one year after rads I had reconstruction/reduction. My surgery was a success. Lots of decisions to be made hope we can help.

Jadie<3</p>

Thanks Jadie
    I had a mastectomy with axillary node dissection, left breast, in February. I finished radiation September 21. (I had chemo too, but that doesn't affect my decision about reconstruction.) It is a lot to think about and yet more decisions to make! There just seems to be so much that can go wrong-but I miss having cleavage and find the prosthesis uncomfortable. :-) I'm still pretty tired from the radiation and I'm kind of worried about having surgery and screwing up what little energy I have regained.
    Sue
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi
    My radiation onc wouldn't even talk to me about having reconstruction untill I was out of treatment (rads) for one year. So if your doctor is like mine you will have plenty of time to heal and regain your strength. Please consult with all your doctors before you make your final decision. I am well pleased with my surgery and glad that I did it. Sometimes we just have to do something for ourselves. I certainlly feel better about myself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted.

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I'm glad you posted this
    and I will continue to read the replies... I sure hope there are many more! I reluctantly decided to go for the mastectomy without immediate reconstruction. I could have had it with another surgeon but I wanted to go with a surgeon that was much more qualified as a breast cancer surgeon. He said he would not do the immediate reconstruction as he felt the it would be more detrimental to my recovery. He suggested I wait until after radiation, but like you, I'm very worried about the outcome after waiting so long. However, I have heard of many reconstructions being destroyed from radiation and having to go through it all over again. Perhaps the one good thing is that the reconstructive surgeon I had a consult with initially said I did not have enough tummy tissue to fill both breasts to go bigger. I have gained so much weight since my diagnosis that I should have PLENTY by the time I'm ready, lol.

I sure hope there are some replies by women who have had a success with this!
  • patti anne
    patti anne Member Posts: 101
    spearce59 said:

Thanks Jadie
    I had a mastectomy with axillary node dissection, left breast, in February. I finished radiation September 21. (I had chemo too, but that doesn't affect my decision about reconstruction.) It is a lot to think about and yet more decisions to make! There just seems to be so much that can go wrong-but I miss having cleavage and find the prosthesis uncomfortable. :-) I'm still pretty tired from the radiation and I'm kind of worried about having surgery and screwing up what little energy I have regained.
    Sue

same
    Sue,
    We have the same story. I had a mastectomy on the left side, chemo and then finished radiation July 31. I don't have a prosthetic and being lop-sided drives me crazy! Sometimes I think that sounds so superficial, but I can't help it. I meet with my surgeon in December and hope to meet with the plastic surgeon soon after. I'm pretty sure I want them to remove my right breast as well.

Looks like we're going through the same thing at the same time!
    Patti
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member

same
    Sue,
    We have the same story. I had a mastectomy on the left side, chemo and then finished radiation July 31. I don't have a prosthetic and being lop-sided drives me crazy! Sometimes I think that sounds so superficial, but I can't help it. I meet with my surgeon in December and hope to meet with the plastic surgeon soon after. I'm pretty sure I want them to remove my right breast as well.

Looks like we're going through the same thing at the same time!
    Patti

Hi Patti
    Don't worry about thinking you are being superficial because of being lopsided. There are so many of us here that have the same issues. If it bothers you, get it fixed. No worries about looking vain. We all are women who have gone through the slaying of the beast, through chemo, rads, etc. and have looked quite different from our "normal" selves while doing it. Bravely, and with our heads held high. Whatever you, Sue and all the others in this situation decide, we are behind you 100%. Choose to do nothing, ditto (you might want to look at my expressions page, I wrote a little poem about "lopsided girls").
    My reconstruction is going well, and yes there are always little glitches along the way, but it will be worth it in the end.
    Good luck in all your decisions
    Cat
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    I haven't had reconstructive surgery yet, but the plan is to have it on December 16th. It will be 6 months from my last radiation treatment. My plastic surgeon wanted to wait at least three months. I'll be having a DIEP Free Flap surgery. My doctor told me that there was a 1% -3% chance that it won't be successful. This is mainly because the blood vessels, etc. that have to be connected don't work. I think the main thing is you have to be sure you have a qualified surgeon do your surgery.

As far as having the surgery, I think you have to do what is right for you. I agree with the idea that we owe it to ourselves to do something good for ourselves, after all, we've been through H--- getting rid of the beast. I'll keep you posted as to the success of my surgery. Connie
  • karen0423
    karen0423 Member Posts: 67
    Hi- I was dx in 2002 Stage
    Hi- I was dx in 2002 Stage III and had a mastectomy, they wouldn't do immediate reconstruction and I waited 7 years. I had DIEP reconstruction in Jan 2009, I have had 3 surgeries since and couldn't be happier with the outcome. It is truly amazing what they can do. I see my surgeon again in a few weeks and will decide if anything else should be done. It isn't an easy surgery and I did have some problems but I would do it all over again!! Wishing you the best. Karen
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    karen0423 said:

Hi- I was dx in 2002 Stage
    Hi- I was dx in 2002 Stage III and had a mastectomy, they wouldn't do immediate reconstruction and I waited 7 years. I had DIEP reconstruction in Jan 2009, I have had 3 surgeries since and couldn't be happier with the outcome. It is truly amazing what they can do. I see my surgeon again in a few weeks and will decide if anything else should be done. It isn't an easy surgery and I did have some problems but I would do it all over again!! Wishing you the best. Karen

Im a Recon girl~
    and I will try and be brief! Diagnosed with dcis in 06 lumpectomy (left side) followed by radiation, 1 year later (07) had right side reduced to match (rads shrinks things!).Then one year (08) later had a re~occurrence in the left breast so had a mastectomy (left breast)cosmetic surgeon wanted to do a latissimus flap, I was too scared, so had an expander put in to try and stretch the chest muscle (it wouldn't stretch far, so was unsuccessful) So had the lat flap done Oct 08, and just this past june had a saline implant put in. Lots of space between surgeries to let my body heal. I look amazingly balanced and even. I had no problems or issues after surgery~ healing beautifully. It was a long, slow road, but I was in control~and my surgeon was very patient and gentle with me. Let me know if you have more questions, I will do my best to get back to you.
    Melanie
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Im a Recon girl~
    and I will try and be brief! Diagnosed with dcis in 06 lumpectomy (left side) followed by radiation, 1 year later (07) had right side reduced to match (rads shrinks things!).Then one year (08) later had a re~occurrence in the left breast so had a mastectomy (left breast)cosmetic surgeon wanted to do a latissimus flap, I was too scared, so had an expander put in to try and stretch the chest muscle (it wouldn't stretch far, so was unsuccessful) So had the lat flap done Oct 08, and just this past june had a saline implant put in. Lots of space between surgeries to let my body heal. I look amazingly balanced and even. I had no problems or issues after surgery~ healing beautifully. It was a long, slow road, but I was in control~and my surgeon was very patient and gentle with me. Let me know if you have more questions, I will do my best to get back to you.
    Melanie

You have to wait
    at least 6 months after radiation until your skin recovers and heals.
    I had DIEP Flap immediate reconstruction. if you have any question write to me.
    Good luck
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203

You have to wait
    at least 6 months after radiation until your skin recovers and heals.
    I had DIEP Flap immediate reconstruction. if you have any question write to me.
    Good luck

success
    I had bilat mast followed by radiation to the right breast only. I had the expanders put in at the time of the mast. Needing the radiation was a surprise but ended up being very doable. I was fully expanded before the radiation began and waited 7 months for the implants. My radiated side is definitely tighter than the left side. I had a second set of implants because the first ones ended up with quite a bit of rippling. I am small built so it can become more noticable. The second set was larger and the appearance is much better. I don't think nipple reconstruction is in the cards as again the radiated side feels much tighter. The surgeon thinks he could make it work but I'm not that set on it. Actually I'm looking forward to letting this poor body be left alone for a while. I think the biggest thing to remember is this is reconstruction no enhancement.

dawn
  • spearce59
    Thank you!
    I really appreciate all of your comments and sharing your stories. I'm looking forward to seeing the plastic surgeon on Wednesday, and I'll share what he says. I'm encouraged about moving forward when the time is right. Sue
  • spearce59
    contrail said:

I haven't had reconstructive surgery yet, but the plan is to have it on December 16th. It will be 6 months from my last radiation treatment. My plastic surgeon wanted to wait at least three months. I'll be having a DIEP Free Flap surgery. My doctor told me that there was a 1% -3% chance that it won't be successful. This is mainly because the blood vessels, etc. that have to be connected don't work. I think the main thing is you have to be sure you have a qualified surgeon do your surgery.

As far as having the surgery, I think you have to do what is right for you. I agree with the idea that we owe it to ourselves to do something good for ourselves, after all, we've been through H--- getting rid of the beast. I'll keep you posted as to the success of my surgery. Connie

Please let me know how it goes-
    I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. 1%-3% chance is something I can live with. I'm living with a lot of other percentages too. LOL
  • Work in Progress Reconstruction after Radiation
    I am a 5 yr survivor of DCIS; treated with two lumpectomies and 35 radiation treatments; no chemo.
    The decision for a second lumpectomy to "spare" my breast was a difficult one. I didn't want to undergo radiation. When I asked if a mastectomy would be better and not require radiation the surgeon said sparing the breast was less traumatic.....he was right....at the time. Five years later with a deformed and painful breast and largely mismatched healthy breast...I sought advice from a plastic surgeon. He recommended a mastectomy to obtain a clean slate to transfer tissue from my back (latissimus flap) to begin building a breast free of radiated tissue that does not reconstruct as readily as unaffected tissue. It really depends on the size of the completed breast needed. I need to match the healthy breast which is a size C....the treated breast had ended up size A. During the mastectomy/lat flap surgery a tissue expander was also placed to enable the breast to expand to accept placement of an implant to match the healthy breast. After some weight gain and gravity effects of being 54....the healthy breast will receive a "lift" during the second surgery in three weeks to exchange the expander for the permanent implant. My advice is to seek out a plastic surgeon recommended by local hospitals that have a Breast Cancer Center...ask to speak to a nurse advocate. They see the reconstruction surgeries first hand and know who is goo. Or call your local Cancer Society. I first consulted with the local plastic surgeon that was a "boob mill"; most of his cases were not reconstruction; but augmentation.....it takes special skill and compassion to put us cancer girls back together again. It is not an easy process; but I can say it has been worth it to restore self esteem.
    Also, know that even if your insurance has changed since your treatment; your current insurance company must cover the cost to reconstruct the affected breast and also treat the other side with whatever treatment will attain symmetry. I decided to go ahead with the reconstruction in part that I do not know what my options might be in the future....with the uncertainty of our health care system. Hope this helps!