Painful intercourse

093008 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am new to this discussion board thing, but I have an issue with painful intercourse. I finished my radiation and chemo last June. I am not able to take any hormones due to my tumor markers. I have tried over the counter KY, but that did not seem to work. Has anyone tried the product Sylk?? It is not cheap, but if it does work, it would be well worth it. Thanks ladies.

Comments

• LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    Have you discussed this with
    Have you discussed this with your oncologist or your gynecologist? You should definitely try other products, but it might be something that a doctor could help with.

Peace.
    Linda
    LC815 said:

Have you discussed this with
    Have you discussed this with your oncologist or your gynecologist? You should definitely try other products, but it might be something that a doctor could help with.

Peace.
    Linda

My oncologist's office has
    My oncologist's office has suggested a silicone based lubricant, but I can not seem to find any. I have asked several pharmacists, but they do not seem to know. My gynecologist has suggested the product Sylk, but it seems to be available only on line and it is not cheap. If it works, it is worth it, but I thought that I could maybe get some non biased opinions on this site.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I have not heard of that
    I have not heard of that product. Sorry. We did have a discussion about this issue awhile back. But no one mentioned that product that I remember.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I have not used Sylk, but it
    I have not used Sylk, but it sounds very intriguing~ I see that it is water-based, is from New Zealand, has a PH balance almost identical to that of a woman's intimate areas, and is made from Kiwi extract! It is non staining, has no reaction adverse reaction to latex, and is fragrance free as well. I would say, if vaginal dryness/painful intercourse is what you are experiencing, and you can afford the product, it seems worth a try!

We had a long discussion on this very topic some months ago, and the responses were varied. It is not uncommon to have dryness from our meds~ and I hope you find a solution to your problem. If you do indeed try the Sylk, let us know if it works for you. Many of our sisters may be needing that advice.

Some tried Replense vaginal lubricant; have you looked for that product?

Good luck to you!
    Chen♥
    chenheart said:

I have not used Sylk, but it
    I have not used Sylk, but it sounds very intriguing~ I see that it is water-based, is from New Zealand, has a PH balance almost identical to that of a woman's intimate areas, and is made from Kiwi extract! It is non staining, has no reaction adverse reaction to latex, and is fragrance free as well. I would say, if vaginal dryness/painful intercourse is what you are experiencing, and you can afford the product, it seems worth a try!

We had a long discussion on this very topic some months ago, and the responses were varied. It is not uncommon to have dryness from our meds~ and I hope you find a solution to your problem. If you do indeed try the Sylk, let us know if it works for you. Many of our sisters may be needing that advice.

Some tried Replense vaginal lubricant; have you looked for that product?

Good luck to you!
    Chen♥

Someone else suggested
    Someone else suggested Replense earlier today. Do I think that Target will be on my shopping tour tomorrow. If that does not work, I will try Sylk and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for your input.
  • tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44
    093008 said:

Someone else suggested
    Someone else suggested Replense earlier today. Do I think that Target will be on my shopping tour tomorrow. If that does not work, I will try Sylk and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Oh Oh (raising hand
    Oh Oh (raising hand frantically like a 1st grader who knows an answer)! The gyne I see specializes in midlife health, and when I saw her this week I asked your same question. Surprisingly, she said the best lubricant is very inexpensive: plain old olive oil! Then she made a joke about virgin & extra virgin olive oil. But it will stain your sheets so she recommends putting a towel down on your bed first. If you don't want to deal with that, her recommended list includes: Wet Platinum, Eros Women, Astroglide (I've used this and like it), Liquid Silk, Hydra-smooth, Moist, Kamasutra, and KY jelly (not the liquid). Hope this helps someone out there.
  • chenheart
    tigger99 said:

Oh Oh (raising hand
    Oh Oh (raising hand frantically like a 1st grader who knows an answer)! The gyne I see specializes in midlife health, and when I saw her this week I asked your same question. Surprisingly, she said the best lubricant is very inexpensive: plain old olive oil! Then she made a joke about virgin & extra virgin olive oil. But it will stain your sheets so she recommends putting a towel down on your bed first. If you don't want to deal with that, her recommended list includes: Wet Platinum, Eros Women, Astroglide (I've used this and like it), Liquid Silk, Hydra-smooth, Moist, Kamasutra, and KY jelly (not the liquid). Hope this helps someone out there.

You are one smart first
    You are one smart first grader, tigger! LOL Thanks for the info; I'm sure it will help many of the sisters here on the boards!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    tigger99 said:

Oh Oh (raising hand

Wow! "Like a virgin".......
    Touched for the very first time!

With my rectal cancer treatment, I had my pelvis radiated quite strongly, and ended up with MAJOR trouble....I found that it helped, as well as Replense, if I was stimulated first...seemed to get things relaxed....oh, and, I was (blush) on top, controlling the rhythm...

Hugs, Kathi
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    KathiM said:

With my rectal cancer treatment, I had my pelvis radiated quite strongly, and ended up with MAJOR trouble....I found that it helped, as well as Replense, if I was stimulated first...seemed to get things relaxed....oh, and, I was (blush) on top, controlling the rhythm...

Hugs, Kathi

Astroglide is what works for
    Astroglide is what works for me, hubby loves it
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

You Go Girl
    You go girl. Ride that trick pony. :)

Pat
    aztec45 said:

You Go Girl
    You go girl. Ride that trick pony. :)

Pat

Thank you ladies for all
    Thank you ladies for all your replies. I have purchased the replense. If this does not work, I will go on to another suggestion. Thanks again (my husband thanks you too!)
  • chenheart
    Bumping this up for j916

Bumping this up for j916
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    chenheart said:

Bumping this up for j916

Bumping this up for j916

bumping up

bumping up
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    carkris said:

bumping up

bumping up

bumping up

bumping up
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    carkris said:

bumping up

bumping up

Sylk
    My doctor suggested it and it worked very well, I was able to find it at Fasinations!
    A lil costly but worth it.
    Take care Karie