Profession of childhood cancer survivors

feather80
feather80 Member Posts: 11
edited July 2023 in Childhood Cancers #1
Hello,

I wonder whether having had cancer as a child, makes people want to be doctors, nurses, lab technicians or any other health profession.

I had leukemia as a child and am now working in a lab doing medical analysis. I chose that job because I wanted to learn more about leukemia (what it was exactly, how it was treated and what blood was made of).

Are there any others who chose a medical profession?
It would be interesting to know what profession all of you are doing (medical and non medical professions).

Thanks for the replies
Feather

Comments

• srisko
    srisko Member Posts: 33
    Hi There
    I had leukemia as child too and I want to work with pediatric cancer survivors to help them prepare for college. I plan on getting my Masters in Higher Education while hopefully working at ACS or another cancer charity.
  • CancerKillerKCG
    CancerKillerKCG Member Posts: 1 Member
    Music Therapist
    Hey I had cancer at 13 and always felt music really helped me through it. So I am planing on going to school to become a music therapist for children with cancer during and post treatment.
  • EmilyRTT
    EmilyRTT Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I was diagnosed with a
    Hi, I was diagnosed with a PNET/Ewing's sarcoma when I was 14. After finishing treatments, I knew there was no way I would be content with being an accountant, so I decided to become a radiation therapist (mainly because it didn't involve administering chemo). It's difficult sometimes, especially when dealing with palliative patients, but I love every minute of it!
    (I realize this topic is almost 2 years old, but I relatively new around here.)
  • LexSurvivor99
    LexSurvivor99 Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2020 #5
    Hey, 

Hey, 

I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma stage 4B when I was 17. I had always wanted to go into a medical type profession and had switched my mind so many times leading to it. I went into college wanting to be a pediatric oncology nurse and quickly found out chemo brain and other side effects impacted that. So I changed to social work and decided to dedicate my life to helping pediatric cancer survivors with the physical, mental, and emotional side effects that still remain. It is the best decision I have made in my life so far. Good luck in all your dreams and hard work.

• ccarr9231
    ccarr9231 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2020 #6
    Nursing

I was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma when I was 15. Being in the hospital so much helped me develop a level of comfort with those settings that I don't think I would have had otherwise. So, yes! I work as a Health Educator, and I'll be an RN next year. :)

• ccarr9231
    ccarr9231 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2020 #7

Hey, 

Hey, 

I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma stage 4B when I was 17. I had always wanted to go into a medical type profession and had switched my mind so many times leading to it. I went into college wanting to be a pediatric oncology nurse and quickly found out chemo brain and other side effects impacted that. So I changed to social work and decided to dedicate my life to helping pediatric cancer survivors with the physical, mental, and emotional side effects that still remain. It is the best decision I have made in my life so far. Good luck in all your dreams and hard work.

That's amazing. I considered

That's amazing. I considered social work for similar reasons, but ultimately landed on nursing. You have a perspective that is so valuable to your clientele. 

• Gustavus
    Gustavus Member Posts: 2 Member

Hi, i had leukemia and now i am a medical laboratory personnel.

• joanna_ram
    joanna_ram Member Posts: 2 *

Hi, I had leukemia when I was 3 years old, and I've always dreamed of becoming something in the hospital setting to give back, I always thought I was weird to think this way but I just realized I am not the only one.

• peglegthegreat
    peglegthegreat Member Posts: 3 *

Future pct here

for me going through cancer made me realize how interested I was in the medical world, so it definitely influenced my future career options. Right now I’m working on getting my pct in high school. I hope that in the future I can meet more cancer survivors who are now in the medical field.