Attitude !!! What do you Think?

Sunrae
Sunrae Member Posts: 808
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Several years ago I framed an article written by Charles Swindoll. Some of you may have already seen this. When I don't know what to do I always go back and read this and it makes sense to me. Hope you like it.

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important that the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past, we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one thing we have, and that is our attutude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our Attitudes."

Comments

• always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Awesome
    This is great advise. Worth posting and reading and re-reading.
  • Sunrae
    always said:

Awesome
    This is great advise. Worth posting and reading and re-reading.

I know there are times when
    I know there are times when we all flounder but I try to remember that I can control the way I react to events, people, etc. if I just remember this about my attitude. I try to choose to be positive about everything but I will admit there are times when I let go. Hopefully, not too many times.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Sunrae said:

I know there are times when
    I know there are times when we all flounder but I try to remember that I can control the way I react to events, people, etc. if I just remember this about my attitude. I try to choose to be positive about everything but I will admit there are times when I let go. Hopefully, not too many times.

I agree
    This post reminded me of something I read years ago. I clipped it from the newsletter where I found it, and go back to it from time to time as a reminder:

Sydney Harris of the Chicago Daily News writes of accompanying a friend one evening to buy a newspaper.
    The vendor was rude and cold as he made change, but Harris' friend remained polite and gave him a warm greeting.
    "A sullen fellow, isn't he?" Harris exclaimed.
    "Oh, he's that way every night," shrugged his friend.
    "Then why do you continue to be so nice to him" Harris asked?
    "Well, why not?" his friend responded. "Why should I let HIM decide how I'M going to act?"

Is it easy to stay positive when faced with negativity, frustration, and fear? Of course it isn't! Do we always act positive when we want to? I wish!

But when you do pull off the near-impossible and manage to stay positive in the face of the beast, how powerful is that!!!

Proud to have "attitude"!
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I LOVE it!
    Oh, this is sooo true! If only everyone in the world could read this and react on it... what a much better world this would be. One thing I have a very difficult time tolerating is a bad attitude!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Marlene_K said:

I LOVE it!
    Oh, this is sooo true! If only everyone in the world could read this and react on it... what a much better world this would be. One thing I have a very difficult time tolerating is a bad attitude!

That's terrific!
    The amazing thing is that many scientists believe that our attitude can help us heal. There is a great book, "The Biology of Belief" which is written by a scientist. It gives real evidence of how our brain (thoughts) control our biology. Very powerful. One of his findings was, that the brain overrides anything that is happening locally. You can find the book on Amazon if you are interested.

Thanks for sharing the quote.

Roseann
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Sunrae love your photo and
    Sunrae love your photo and the article on attitude. Yes it is our choice how we react to people, places and situatuions. I think I recall someone saying our "apptitude is measured by our attitude". Great post. Thank You.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I am often asked what I did.....
    when people find I battled thru 2 cancers, all within one year, one of which I was to die from within 6 months (it's 5 years later...did I miss an e-mail or something????). I tell them well, I had faith: In myself, in my treatment team, and in my higher power. And I never considered dying from this...

Hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Thanks so much for posting
    Thanks so much for posting that~ my personal mantra is: Be Stronger Than, Not Angry At. It has helped me through many things, especially cancer! I know that anger zaps strength, and I needed strength to fight this battle. I am of course not always successful, but I do try and be strong rather than angry. When people are mean, or rude, or non caring, or insulting~ instead of being angry I call on my inner strength to help me not to react foolishly in kind, but to walk away and be thankful that I am me! My family even calls me "Switzerland"~ not that I am neutral, but that I am the Peace-maker.

Thanks again for the nice reminder!
  • Sunrae
    chenheart said:

Thanks so much for posting
    Thanks so much for posting that~ my personal mantra is: Be Stronger Than, Not Angry At. It has helped me through many things, especially cancer! I know that anger zaps strength, and I needed strength to fight this battle. I am of course not always successful, but I do try and be strong rather than angry. When people are mean, or rude, or non caring, or insulting~ instead of being angry I call on my inner strength to help me not to react foolishly in kind, but to walk away and be thankful that I am me! My family even calls me "Switzerland"~ not that I am neutral, but that I am the Peace-maker.

Thanks again for the nice reminder!

Attitude is Good
    All of you my beautiful sisters have this wonderful attitude. We choose our attitude every day. Our attitude is "no matter what, we'll overcome this beast. Whatever it takes we'll do and there are plenty of us so watch out for my "SISTERS WITH ATTITUDE".