Messy question/problem

coloCan
coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
For the first time since my colostomy and use of bag I have diarrhea(just started FOLFOX witrh pump past Wed, going to cancer center later for Picc flushing/bandage replacement, will ask there too).Use two-piece ConvaTec system, usually I open clip at end to release solid pieces and keep bag relatively empty/clean. Now what do I do as sh** just runs to bottom of bag. Do I unclip and let run into toilet; wait til bag fills more and replace bag? How do you with bag deal with this mess? Don't know how long runs will continue (should I take Immodium?)During first round chemo (with radiation, while tumor still in me, had runs ALL the time) Please help with advice....Steve

Comments

• pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    A former poo-pouch
    Steve-
    I just had my ileostomy reversed but here's how handled my bag

I had a squirt bottle - one in my bathroom and one in my "to go bag" of ostomy supplies.
    Every time I had to empty the bag, which was often and I ahd diarreah as well, I'd put a piece of toilet paper in the bowl so I wouldn't get the "plopping" residual back at me, and then I'd use warm water quirt up the bag, swish it around and clean the bag out.

When i wasn't experienceing blow-outs and un-sticky bags, my bags would last about 4 days.

do you ahve the small bags that are meant for one-time use or the larger bags? If you want to call me on the phone, I can walk you thru it all.

Also, there is an Ostomy Association and message board that is as supportive as this board.
    just google united ostomy association.

good luck and seriously, call me if you want, I called someone in the beginning because i was sooo frustrated. I did eventually get all the right bags adn wafers that worked for me and it wasn't so bad.

Peggy
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    I would agree with
    I would agree with everything Peggy said :)
    toliet paper in bowl, squirt bottle, etc
    also
    depending on how often you are having to empty it and where you are?
    I would also recommend working with ostomy nurse to get a different kind of a bag, cause the leaking isn't good. I went from the 2-piece like you have to a one piece and was much happier. Easier to get on and off- no messing with emptying the bag, just take it off and dispose of it then put a clean one on. It did wonders for my mood! I think that insurance paid for 2-3 changing a day-
    Definitely you should be taking immodium!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Ileostomy
    Well I had an ileostomy so everything that went into my bag was mostly liquid so I know where you are coming from. Chemo will give you looser stools. I just would empty my pouch when I needed to, sometimes up to 9 times a day while on chemo but still 5-7 times normally a day. Try to get more bulk fiber in your diet. Try immodium but be careful too, don't take too much and then make yourself constipated. Good luck!

Kim
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Ileostomy
    Well I had an ileostomy so everything that went into my bag was mostly liquid so I know where you are coming from. Chemo will give you looser stools. I just would empty my pouch when I needed to, sometimes up to 9 times a day while on chemo but still 5-7 times normally a day. Try to get more bulk fiber in your diet. Try immodium but be careful too, don't take too much and then make yourself constipated. Good luck!

Kim

I
    Actually fold the end of my bag 3 times up, because folding it once just at the end, left some to leak to the tip for me, so I roll it up a few times, and just empty when needed, it doesn't get to the end like it used to when I folded it up once. And the suggestions here was also great, the ostomy site is a good one too!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    When
    When you get diarrhea I wouldn't let the bag get over half full before you empty it.Yes you should take some imodium,thats what I do.You should fold the bag at least 2 times,and when I empty it I lower it into the toilet,unfold it,then let it run out,then rinse,or replace the bag.I use the two piece colo- plast system.After awhile you will get the hang of it.The ostomy website is also a big help.good luck.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    karguy said:

When
    When you get diarrhea I wouldn't let the bag get over half full before you empty it.Yes you should take some imodium,thats what I do.You should fold the bag at least 2 times,and when I empty it I lower it into the toilet,unfold it,then let it run out,then rinse,or replace the bag.I use the two piece colo- plast system.After awhile you will get the hang of it.The ostomy website is also a big help.good luck.

Yes...
    I let it run out, but turn the bottom inside out, and wipe the top of it, before folding up again. I do this sitting at the side of the toilet, with the bag being over it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Shayenne said:

Yes...
    I let it run out, but turn the bottom inside out, and wipe the top of it, before folding up again. I do this sitting at the side of the toilet, with the bag being over it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

I use a 2 piece Hollister New Image bag...
    Its a disposable not a dumper/reuser. I could never get it real clean enough for my liking (although I never gave it a big chance) I have diarrhea pretty regular (because I eat what I like not what I need to) and I simply let it fill about 1/2 then dispose of....