Stitches Out Today

creampuff91344
creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, this is off topic, but they removed my stitches today from the bone spur surgery. What a relief, as they were in there tight, and really felt better once they were out. The ortho asked me how my pain had been and how would I rate it from 1 to 10...10 being the worst. I told him it had been about an 8.....he hit the ceiling. After explaining to me how important it is to stay on a schedule with pain meds, he made me promise to take them on a regular schedule, at least for the next couple of weeks. This afternoon, I feel better than I have felt in almost two weeks. Amazing what a difference "following instructions" will do for you. As much as I hate to take pain meds, I will not hesitate in the future to take them as prescribed.....what a noo-noo!

Also, Casey is still at home and is doing some better. His breathing episodes have slowed down, and he is gaining weight. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. His breathing stops while he is feeding, and the docs are perplexed as to what is causing this. I am feeling better about his condition, and just hope he continues to improve.

Sorry to take up space on this bc board with the trivial things in my life, but there are so many who PM me to get caught up. I will check in with the updates every couple of weeks. Thanks for listening. Hugs to all.

Judy

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Wasn't Casey a preemie? I
    Wasn't Casey a preemie? I remember when my best friend's daughter had her preemie that there were issues with breathing and feeding. It is like they forget to breath when they are feeding. She had to stop frequently and pat her gently on the back. Not just for burping but for breathing. Feedings were slow and took a lot of patience. She was a tiny baby. She is now 9 years old and you would never know she had any problems at birth. She is a small girl, but then so is her mom.
    Stef
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Hoping each day gets better
    Hoping each day gets better for Casey and you. It hurts us so much to see a little one having health issues. We adults can take care of ourselves, but those sweet little bambinos cannot without our help and worry.

Question: Why do we women not want to take the pain meds? My husband is constantly on me about that. I'm certainly not wonder woman or even spider woman if there is such a woman, but for some reason when I feel just a little better I stop the meds thinking all will be well, and of course it's not. Guess I dont want to become a pill addict. Looking at all the meds I started taking when this BC began, convinces me I will not be a pill addict. Cant wait to get rid of all it, but not until I absolutely do not need them. At my husbands coercing, I did try to stay on top of the pain meds after the 2 surgeries and it really helped. Masochist or long suffering?? Hope neither of the 2.

Happy your are feeling better. Be a good girl and Take those pills.

Hugs to you.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Glad things are going well.
    Glad things are going well. Glad you updated us.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    That's excellent news, Judy.
    That's excellent news, Judy. We'll continue to send positive thoughts and best wishes for both you and little Casey. Thanks for the update.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    MyTurnNow said:

That's excellent news, Judy.
    That's excellent news, Judy. We'll continue to send positive thoughts and best wishes for both you and little Casey. Thanks for the update.

Thank you all for your
    Thank you all for your concern. Yes Stef, Casey was a preemie, and the only time he stops breathing is when he is feeding. I will pass this along to Brittany, and she in turn will talk with the doctors. He seems to be getting better, so maybe he just has some further developing to do before he gets everything in place.

Natly, I think there are lots of people who have a phobia to pain meds. I have a particular aunt who thinks that you should take them for a couple of times, and then start to "wheen off" of them. That means the second day after surgery I should have started the wheening process. Anyway, I listen too much to others, and my doctor has said he is the boss here. I got up this morning, and the first thing that entered my mind was that I felt somewhat better, so I wasn't going to take a pain pill. My dear hubby quickly reminded me of the finger pointing I got yesterday from the Ortho, so I am taking them again today...no matter what. Maybe we canbreak this chain of thinking that pain meds are generally bad for us, and use them as they are supposed to be used....until the pain goes away. Thanks for your comment.

Again, thank you all for keeping up with me. The next milestone is to have my followup mammogram on December 15th, then I can relax for another six months. Hugs to all.

Judy
  • fauxma

Thank you all for your
    Thank you all for your concern. Yes Stef, Casey was a preemie, and the only time he stops breathing is when he is feeding. I will pass this along to Brittany, and she in turn will talk with the doctors. He seems to be getting better, so maybe he just has some further developing to do before he gets everything in place.

Natly, I think there are lots of people who have a phobia to pain meds. I have a particular aunt who thinks that you should take them for a couple of times, and then start to "wheen off" of them. That means the second day after surgery I should have started the wheening process. Anyway, I listen too much to others, and my doctor has said he is the boss here. I got up this morning, and the first thing that entered my mind was that I felt somewhat better, so I wasn't going to take a pain pill. My dear hubby quickly reminded me of the finger pointing I got yesterday from the Ortho, so I am taking them again today...no matter what. Maybe we canbreak this chain of thinking that pain meds are generally bad for us, and use them as they are supposed to be used....until the pain goes away. Thanks for your comment.

Again, thank you all for keeping up with me. The next milestone is to have my followup mammogram on December 15th, then I can relax for another six months. Hugs to all.

Judy

Judy,
    I am the same with

Judy,
    I am the same with pain meds. And the truth is that they are more effective if we use them before we are in extreme pain. Using them when the pain is just starting or for a while just the every so many hours apart is so much better.
    I know with Chaundra's baby it got better with time. It was just a slow procedure to feed her. She is an good eater now. The only thing that she has as a result of being a preemie is that she has to wear glasses. She loved them when she was littler but now talks about contacts. Mom told her she will have to wait until she is at least twelve and that they have to see if they are an option.
    I will continue to hold Casey in my prayers. Glad he is making some progress. Slow and steady is good. And prayers for a good result on 12/15. Early Christmas gifts are so nice. I go for my 3 month visit with the oncologist on Friday but it is routine and will be fine. February is my next mammo.
    Stef
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Off Topic?????
    Aside from the obvious, that being HOORAY that both you and Casey are doing better, and that you found out how important it is to follow orders(!) here's another "order" for you:
    Since joing this club, we are now Family~ nothing is trivial! Does our Mimi not ask what our weekend plans are? Do we not have an ornament and recipe exchange? A where is everyone from thread? Even a "what kind of dog does Tasha have" thread! That's what close sisters do~ we share the ups the downs, the scares, the joys, the mundane and the important. You were much more than cancer before you found us and this place, you are even more now that you have added a group of Kindred Spirits to your circle of friends.
    So, your order is not to apologize for being off topic, or thinking it doesn't somehow fit on these boards. It is all relevant!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    chenheart said:

Off Topic?????
    Aside from the obvious, that being HOORAY that both you and Casey are doing better, and that you found out how important it is to follow orders(!) here's another "order" for you:
    Since joing this club, we are now Family~ nothing is trivial! Does our Mimi not ask what our weekend plans are? Do we not have an ornament and recipe exchange? A where is everyone from thread? Even a "what kind of dog does Tasha have" thread! That's what close sisters do~ we share the ups the downs, the scares, the joys, the mundane and the important. You were much more than cancer before you found us and this place, you are even more now that you have added a group of Kindred Spirits to your circle of friends.
    So, your order is not to apologize for being off topic, or thinking it doesn't somehow fit on these boards. It is all relevant!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Agree with Chen. Nothing is
    Agree with Chen. Nothing is too trivial to bring here, whether its good news, bad news or just everyday things in our lives. Also glad to hear you are better and so is little Casey. Just wanted to add one thing on pain meds. I've had to be on them quite a bit in my life and what I found out is "you can't let the pain get ahead of you". Its so much harder to quell the pain if you let it go until you can't stand it. Then it takes so much longer for the meds to work. Hope this helps you Judy, to stay ahead of the pain.
  • fauxma
    Sunrae said:

Agree with Chen. Nothing is
    Agree with Chen. Nothing is too trivial to bring here, whether its good news, bad news or just everyday things in our lives. Also glad to hear you are better and so is little Casey. Just wanted to add one thing on pain meds. I've had to be on them quite a bit in my life and what I found out is "you can't let the pain get ahead of you". Its so much harder to quell the pain if you let it go until you can't stand it. Then it takes so much longer for the meds to work. Hope this helps you Judy, to stay ahead of the pain.

Chen,
    Now these lyrics are

Chen,
    Now these lyrics are running thru my head We are Family... And I am picturing, Gene Hackman in drag. LOL But you said it just right. We share all our news, questions, etc. Oh, gosh, now it's the Facts of Life theme.
    I love seeing all the pieces of my cyberbuds. It makes everyone so real and so beyond their cancers. I love the recipes (although I don't cook), the ornaments (even though I didn't do this), the dog identification, the weekend updates, well just all of it. I learn something new everyday. I even enjoy the fact that we occasionally squabble. We are truly a family. So as far as I am concerned sharing is caring. Trite but true.
    Love you all
    Stef
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    fauxma said:

Chen,
    Now these lyrics are

Chen,
    Now these lyrics are running thru my head We are Family... And I am picturing, Gene Hackman in drag. LOL But you said it just right. We share all our news, questions, etc. Oh, gosh, now it's the Facts of Life theme.
    I love seeing all the pieces of my cyberbuds. It makes everyone so real and so beyond their cancers. I love the recipes (although I don't cook), the ornaments (even though I didn't do this), the dog identification, the weekend updates, well just all of it. I learn something new everyday. I even enjoy the fact that we occasionally squabble. We are truly a family. So as far as I am concerned sharing is caring. Trite but true.
    Love you all
    Stef

Two thoughts
    One..my niece Lilly had very similar complications. I will get some details from my sister. Lilly is doing great now.
    Two..I may have to boycott all of Chens posts. While I agree completly with every word she makes me cry! Nothing but nothing seems trivial or wrong here. I feel more at home and comfortable with what everyone shares than I ever have anywhere.

My love and prayers are with you all.
    becky
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    always said:

Two thoughts
    One..my niece Lilly had very similar complications. I will get some details from my sister. Lilly is doing great now.
    Two..I may have to boycott all of Chens posts. While I agree completly with every word she makes me cry! Nothing but nothing seems trivial or wrong here. I feel more at home and comfortable with what everyone shares than I ever have anywhere.

My love and prayers are with you all.
    becky

LOL Now I see your "boycott"
    LOL Now I see your "boycott" post! You definately have the right to not read anything I write! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥