Just want to say hello

Options
chipoo
chipoo Member Posts: 32
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone, I have been getting to know everyone for the past few days just reading the discussion board. What a nice group of people. Thought I should introduce myself and say HI!

I was diagnosed with ductal invasive breast cancer in July. I had a double mastectomy with DIEP immediate reconstruction. That went very well. I just finished my first cycle of chemo. 5 more to go for that. That will be followed by 11 cycles of Herceptin and 6 weeks radiation. I am very interested in reading posts about how people are dealing with chemo. I have found this first cycle to be challenging.

I look forward to chatting with you all and thanks for your support!

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    HI Chipoo and welcome.
    HI Chipoo and welcome. Challenging it is for sure, but doable. I am glad you came to this site, I know I found it very helpful. I also have IDC and am currenty in chemo. I also have herceptin. Again welcome.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I too am new just
    Welcome! I too am new just diagnosed with triple negative IDC. Starting chemo within the week. This is a wonderful site. Lots of good info and just great emotional support.
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    Options

Welcome! I too am new just
    Welcome! I too am new just diagnosed with triple negative IDC. Starting chemo within the week. This is a wonderful site. Lots of good info and just great emotional support.

Hey!
    I had a different dx

Hey!
    I had a different dx than you but chemo was definitely very rough on me. I am amazed at the women who were able to work while going through it. I was way too sick. Be good to yourself!
    I haven't had reconstruction yet but decided when and if i do I want the DIEP procedure. I'm glad to know it went well for you!
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    Options
    elizarose said:

Hey!
    I had a different dx

Hey!
    I had a different dx than you but chemo was definitely very rough on me. I am amazed at the women who were able to work while going through it. I was way too sick. Be good to yourself!
    I haven't had reconstruction yet but decided when and if i do I want the DIEP procedure. I'm glad to know it went well for you!

welcome you are in good
    welcome you are in good hands here... glad to see you are on your way ...5 more to go then 4 then 3 ... thats wha everyone keeps telling me count hem down!!! talk to you soon ...Lisaxo
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Welcome
    Welcome to this site. You are in great company. Take it one day at a time. Make sure you let you Onc know about your side effects no matter how mild or severe. You don't have to endure chemo and any additional pain or discomfort.

Pat
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Hi chippo and welcome to
    Hi chippo and welcome to these boards. I'll be getting my 3rd round of chemo tomorrow. My white counts went down to 1.9 after my first chemo. After 2nd chemo had issues with nausea. I keep apple sauce, saltines, jello, watermelon and broth in the house for that 3rd and 4th day after chemo. I'm also trying to drink as much water as i can to flush out those toxins. I'm wondering if I had drank more water the last time, I may have avoided some of the nausea. I get a neulasta shot the day after chemo, and take a claritin day of the neulasta shot, and 2 or 3 days after, which has really helped because I havent had the pain the others have described. I also take a stool softener the day of chemo, the day after and then as needed due to terrible constipation. Hope this helps some. Keep posting you will find a wealth of knowledge and emotional support here.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi chipoo
    I was diagnosed in april and had bilateral mastectomy with expanders and just finished chemo about 4 wks ago. I am on herceptin until august and I think will be starting a clinical trial in december. My chemo was every 2 wks. The first 4 cycles I had adriamycin and cytoxan and averaged about 28 to 30 hours per week of work. The last 4 cycles was taxol/herceptin and I usually could work almost 40 hours per week doing home health nursing. The secret... get plenty of rest and yes EXERCISE. I honestly think that was what made the difference for me. It really helps the fatigue. My neighbor and I walk our dogs about 2 miles per night and she power walks. I started back to jogging about 3 weeks ago and have worked back up to about 1 1/2 miles which isnt much, but its a start.

Herceptin will not bother you at all. I dont know much about the radiation but lots of others have had it and will chime in.

Hang in there...this is really doable and you will make it thru

Hugs
    Linda T
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to welcome you,
    Just wanted to welcome you, Chipoo. I didn't have the same cocktail as you but I can tell you that it is all doable. Not a walk in the park but you'll get through it. Keep in touch with us and ask any questions and someone will come along with their experience to share. We're here for you. Take care.
  • Lymph23
    Lymph23 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi Chipoo
    Hi Chipoo I am lucky and finished my chemo had 12 sessions. Luckily the only effect I had was feeling tired. I must admit the further down the treatment the longer it took to recover. Drink plenty of water, also another thing I was told if I felt sick to try ginger, also eating pineapple and strawberries. It seems a lot to take on at first but soon your be saying number 4, 5 and six. Stay positive. Your get through it. Take care. Best wishes.
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Welcome chipoo
    I just wanted to say hi and welcome to this crappy club which has wonderful members. Sorry about your diagnosis. We will be here to help you through in any way that we can. Treatment is very challenging just be sure to keep your eyes on the light at the end of the tunnell. You will get through it all and come out a winner.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Jadie said:

Welcome chipoo
    I just wanted to say hi and welcome to this crappy club which has wonderful members. Sorry about your diagnosis. We will be here to help you through in any way that we can. Treatment is very challenging just be sure to keep your eyes on the light at the end of the tunnell. You will get through it all and come out a winner.

Welcome
    Hi Chippo! I didn't have chemo, but, I wanted to welcome you to the site. There are so many amazing bc survivors here that will help you.

Sue :)
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    late welcome
    But very heartfelt, yes, you have found the right sight for information, sharing, compassion, venting, etc. If your first chemo went fairly well, you should probably do OK through the rest. Dealing with chemo is continually changing and challenging. Let us know how it goes for you!
    =^..^=