chemo and H1N1 VACCINE

sheri22
sheri22 Member Posts: 273
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Does anyone have any opnions on getting this vaccine while doing chemo,
I have thought about it I have never gotten the flu shot befor but this one seems pretty serious, my blood counts are all good and I work in nursing home, so have been around a lot
of flus over the years but havent gotten it from work, this vaccine is so new to me
Yes I have talked to my oncologist about this. But he isnt getting the chemo. so any imput from anyone would be appreciated.
sorry if . this posted twice my computer needs some work
sheri22

Comments

• Janet3
    Janet3 Member Posts: 59
    H1N1
    My mom's onc recommended she NOT get the H1N1 vaccine. She just got round 8 of Folfox w/Avastin yesterday. She did receive a seasonal flue shot and a pneumovax. The onc also receommended that I (as my mom's caretaker) NOT get the H1N1 vaccine. That being said, I am a nurse at a military hospital and the policy of the hospital is that any and all high risk persons should get the H1N1 vaccine. Our policy includes chemo patients. We have administered it to several chemo patients and I have asked them to report back to me with any reactions, etc for work and personal reasons. Sorry this isn't very helpful.
    Janet
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Janet3 said:

H1N1
    My mom's onc recommended she NOT get the H1N1 vaccine. She just got round 8 of Folfox w/Avastin yesterday. She did receive a seasonal flue shot and a pneumovax. The onc also receommended that I (as my mom's caretaker) NOT get the H1N1 vaccine. That being said, I am a nurse at a military hospital and the policy of the hospital is that any and all high risk persons should get the H1N1 vaccine. Our policy includes chemo patients. We have administered it to several chemo patients and I have asked them to report back to me with any reactions, etc for work and personal reasons. Sorry this isn't very helpful.
    Janet

My onc
    Told me not to get it, and I wouldn't get it anyway, and don't let my kids get it, I just don't trust it enough, especially now, hearing alot of these kids in my kids classes, are getting the swine flu, and they got the shot, and still got it anyway.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • sheri22
    sheri22 Member Posts: 273
    info very helpful thanks again
    Janet and Donna

Thanks you were bothe helpful, Donna I am glad you
    said that about H1ni

I thought I was getting really bad chemo brain for awhile not trusting something this new. thanks for the info from bothe of you. It is good to know other people are thinking along same lines as I am on this vaccine

Hugs Sheri22
  • mikejones_53
    mikejones_53 Member Posts: 33
    Shayenne said:

My onc
    Told me not to get it, and I wouldn't get it anyway, and don't let my kids get it, I just don't trust it enough, especially now, hearing alot of these kids in my kids classes, are getting the swine flu, and they got the shot, and still got it anyway.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

If I understand correctly
    If I understand correctly the effects of the regular flu shot as well as h1n1 shot doesn't kick in for a month. My onc wants his patients to get it, but it's not too available here locally. He got enough for his staff and that was all as of 3 wks ago.
  • Shayenne
    sheri22 said:

info very helpful thanks again
    Janet and Donna

Thanks you were bothe helpful, Donna I am glad you
    said that about H1ni

I thought I was getting really bad chemo brain for awhile not trusting something this new. thanks for the info from bothe of you. It is good to know other people are thinking along same lines as I am on this vaccine

Hugs Sheri22

There
    are doctors who wont even get this shot, it hasn't even been tested properly, just rushed out on demand, my daughter was so funny, she's 14, and she told me to please not have her get it because she didn't want to wake up 10 years later looking like the creatures from "I Am Legend" after they were vaccinated with something LOL...

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Shayenne

If I understand correctly
    If I understand correctly the effects of the regular flu shot as well as h1n1 shot doesn't kick in for a month. My onc wants his patients to get it, but it's not too available here locally. He got enough for his staff and that was all as of 3 wks ago.

I didn't...
    ...think there was a time limit on it, but it's also been making some sick as well, so are the adults, and this was after the mist one, I'll just sit out of this one, I remember the pandemonium they had back in the 70's with this virus, and my mother didn't get it, or made me get it, and I'm still here, but I won't get it or make my kids get it either.

My onc isn't getting it, and she is telling her patients not too either. Seems she doesn't trust it either.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Shayenne said:

There
    are doctors who wont even get this shot, it hasn't even been tested properly, just rushed out on demand, my daughter was so funny, she's 14, and she told me to please not have her get it because she didn't want to wake up 10 years later looking like the creatures from "I Am Legend" after they were vaccinated with something LOL...

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Onc said no
    I asked our onc back in September about the H1N1 shot. He said no to both of us getting it. I did get a regular flu shot (first time) from my primary, she agreed with George's onc that we should not get the H1N1. At the time George was still in chemo. So that is 2 docs from 2 different facilities saying no, George's oncologist and my primary. As an aside, as it turns out, I don't fall into the parameters to get it anyway.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    not getting it, but onc ok'd it
    Hi Sherri,

I am not planning on getting the H1N1 vaccine- I'm kind of afraid of it, but of course, I'm also afraid of getting H1N1. I did get the regular flu vaccine, but am afraid of the "unknowns" about this vaccine. My onc told me to definitely not get the flumist vaccine, as it contains weakened live virus. He ok'd me getting the shot form of it though, as that has dead virus. I asked him the pros/cons- he said that it's been determined to be safe, but that we know from history that other vaccines in the past have been determined to be safe, only to find out later that it causes other problems that they didn't know about until they started seeing the problms after many had been vaccinated. So, not sure if I'm making a wise choice or not, but I've decided to not get the vaccine myself & I'm not having my children vaccinated for it either. I'm also quite concerned about the supposedly high levels of mercury contained in the vaccine.
    The swine flu has actually gone through the elementary school here, with several children in several classes being out of school for a couple of weeks due to it. Fortunately, my kids got through without getting it. I guess there could still be another outbreak there, but I've decided to stick to not getting them vaccinated. It has been determined that kids under 10 (or maybe 12?) need a booster vaccine a month after the first shot. Unfortunately, it's hard to get- my kids' pediatrician's office still has not been able to get the vaccine, although another nearby office does have it now.