second expander

1517 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey Ladies!
Guess I am feeling sorry for myself and I really am having a rough time tonight but I know someone out there may have gone through what I'm going through AGAIN!!
Had right side masectomy Feb. 2008 with expander -- had to be removed in April 2008 because of infection. Had another expander @ Latimuss Dorsi Flap in June 2009 which a small part of the flap did not "take" so have had a small open wound that was almost healed when I went to the Dr. on Monday. He scheduled me for Tues. afternoon surgery to close the remainder of the wound but after we got into surgery he realized that I had an infection AGAIN so he took out the expander and closed the wound and I spent until Fri. noon in the hospital with IV antibotics.. What in the world do I do now?? The Lat Flap feels like it is just hanging and is very uncomfortable. Guess I should talk more to the Dr. when I go back Thurs but am just discouraged tonight. If any of you have had this experience or one like it I would love to hear from you!!
Thanks, Sharon

Comments

• contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Problems with Expander
    I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble. I know infections are one of the main problems that can happen with Flap surgery. I hope the doctor will be able to give you some alternatives. This battle against the beast is difficult enough without all the side effects (this included). I had an expander put in when I had my mastectomy and will be having a DIEP Flap surgery in December. My plastic surgeon told me there is a 1%-3% chance that it will fail, but I think those are pretty good odds, so I'm anxious to have the surgery and get on with my life. My prayers are definitely with you and hopefully your doctor will have some answers. Keep us posted. Connie
    1517 Member Posts: 15
    contrail said:

Problems with Expander
    I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble. I know infections are one of the main problems that can happen with Flap surgery. I hope the doctor will be able to give you some alternatives. This battle against the beast is difficult enough without all the side effects (this included). I had an expander put in when I had my mastectomy and will be having a DIEP Flap surgery in December. My plastic surgeon told me there is a 1%-3% chance that it will fail, but I think those are pretty good odds, so I'm anxious to have the surgery and get on with my life. My prayers are definitely with you and hopefully your doctor will have some answers. Keep us posted. Connie

expander
    Thanks Connie!! sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Went to DR last week and infection is all clear. He gave me the option of another expander (this i'm not sure of) or an implant -- when all is healed again. Will have to really think hard on either one but know with the skin still hanging I'll have to do something. Hope all is well with. God Bless and thanks for answering. Sharon