Should my daughter demand a mamogram?

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My daughter is very high risk for BC.I have it,i lost a sister of it at 32.I have a sister that had it at 56,my mother had it.My daughter is 31yrs. old,her doctor will not order one till she is at least 35.I don,t want to stear her wrong but I would like for her to start having them.What do you think.Thanks for your imput.Love and Prayers(Pat).

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    I would demand one. If
    I would demand one. If nothing else just to have a base line for future reference.
  • Booberta
    Booberta Member Posts: 61

I would demand one. If
    I would demand one. If nothing else just to have a base line for future reference.

Pat
    Your daughter may want to reconsider her physician. If s/he has a clear understanding of the family history, it makes no sence that the doc would oppose an early mammogram. I would think that by documenting the family history, the doc could justify having at least a baseline mammo done.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope you are doing well.

Love and Peace
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    wow
    Sorry Pat for how closely this beast has attacked you. I do not know the protocol for this. But must agree. If the dr understands the history why not err on the side of caution and get a baseline reading? My best to you.

becky
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    always said:

wow
    Sorry Pat for how closely this beast has attacked you. I do not know the protocol for this. But must agree. If the dr understands the history why not err on the side of caution and get a baseline reading? My best to you.

becky

I would have her call her insurance carrier...
    I was told that my nieces were entitled to a mammo 10 years earlier than their relatives were when they were diagnosed. So if I were 40, my niece could have a mammo at 30. It really isn't up to her doctor, it is up to her and what her insurance carrier will allow. Again, I would start with her carrier to find out if it would be covered.

Roseann
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    I would demand one... esp
    I would demand one... esp because of your extensive family history...
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    e_hope said:

I would demand one... esp
    I would demand one... esp because of your extensive family history...

I would get a new doctor!

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    elizarose said:

I would get one as well.
    I would get one as well. Insurance may not cover it ... I had to pay out of pocket for my mammo's at 30 and 35 ... but she should get pne anyway.
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124

I would get one as well.
    I would get one as well. Insurance may not cover it ... I had to pay out of pocket for my mammo's at 30 and 35 ... but she should get pne anyway.

my dr. said my daughters
    my dr. said my daughters should get mammos 10 years earlier than the age I was diagnosed which would be 35. I was dx at 45.
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    elizarose said:

my dr. said my daughters
    my dr. said my daughters should get mammos 10 years earlier than the age I was diagnosed which would be 35. I was dx at 45.

10 years for my daughter too
    My onc and my daughters gyno both said she should have hers 10 years earlier than my age at diagnosis. My daughter is 24 and I am 42 so she has a few years to go.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Yes
    Pat,

I was told during my genetic counseling appointment that my daughter should start getting mammograms at age 31. Besides one of my grandmothers having a lumpectomy when she was 80 years old I am the only person in my family to have bc. I would think with you, your two sisters and mom having bc your daughter is at a much higher risk. Maybe she should ask to have a genetic evaluation done - they will probably insist she start having tests right away.

Good luck.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Wolfi said:

Yes
    Pat,

I was told during my genetic counseling appointment that my daughter should start getting mammograms at age 31. Besides one of my grandmothers having a lumpectomy when she was 80 years old I am the only person in my family to have bc. I would think with you, your two sisters and mom having bc your daughter is at a much higher risk. Maybe she should ask to have a genetic evaluation done - they will probably insist she start having tests right away.

Good luck.

Pat
    Pat,
    Your daughter needs one because research says to have one 10 years earlier than the diagnosed age of a family member.

She should demand one and if her provider doesn't then find another one or if she can self refer if her insurance company allows and if they don't she can pay for it herself.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I think the age is 30 if
    I think the age is 30 if family has bc. As for me, the bc was not detected in a mammo because of dense breasts. I think ultrasound should also be given with breasts like mine. That is how mine was found and the lumps were big enough to feel, they grew fast.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    laurissa said:

I think the age is 30 if
    I think the age is 30 if family has bc. As for me, the bc was not detected in a mammo because of dense breasts. I think ultrasound should also be given with breasts like mine. That is how mine was found and the lumps were big enough to feel, they grew fast.

I am wonderng about MRIs
    I am wonderng about MRIs too. have you had genetic counseling? maybe that puts her in adifferent category for risk.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    carkris said:

I am wonderng about MRIs
    I am wonderng about MRIs too. have you had genetic counseling? maybe that puts her in adifferent category for risk.

I ask about the MRI because
    I ask about the MRI because mine was not picked up on mammo because it was lobular. My sister gets MRI because of dense breasts. she has never had kids.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    change docs
    Your daughter is entitled to have a mammogram. See the recommendations for women with a higher risk at:
    http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/RecommendationsforWomenwithHigherRisk.html
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

change docs
    Your daughter is entitled to have a mammogram. See the recommendations for women with a higher risk at:
    http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/RecommendationsforWomenwithHigherRisk.html

PS
    In case you have trouble finding or viewing the link, the recommendation for a mammogram with strong family history is "every year starting at age 5-10 years prior to the youngest breast cancer case in the family."