Much needed advice

chickad52
chickad52 Member Posts: 497
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be having my left side mastectomy 1 week from today. I met with the plastic surgeon on Friday to see what my options where for reconstruction. I will be having my right breast mastectomy done for prophylactic on a later date. Because I will be having radiation after surgery, implants were not an option because of complications from the rads. My other option was to have 1 implant and 1 tram flap for reconstruction as I'm too thin for both breast. And the breast would not feel the same or be cemetrical. My 3rd option was to have Latissimus dorsi reconstruction done. This sounds painful to me!! I'm so confussed as to what to do!! I know that this is a personal decision, but I am hoping for some advice. Has anyone had the back muscle reconstuction done? My surgery is coming up fast and I'm so nervous!! Thank You for any advice! Hugs, Diane

Comments

• LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    Latissimus Dorsi Reconstruction
    Hi Diane,

I did have this done. My plastic surgeon said, "If my wife were going through this, I'd have her choose this option."

The surgery was extensive, and I was in the hospital for a couple of days. I came home with three drains. I had PT to make sure I could have full use of my arm. Two or three weeks after surgery, I was picking the kids up from school and thinking that if I didn't have so many doctors' appointments, I could have gone back to work.

The good thing was I had no pain from expanders. I came home with a breast. They first put an adjustable saline one in, so I could "try out" sizes. There was a port in which to put in saline and take it out. When we were happy with the size, they put silicone implants in both breasts so that I would be symmetrical.

There's no back pain whatsoever. You have ten muscles back there, and they take one. As my doctor said, "Unless you're an Olympic cross country skiier, you'll never miss it."

Make sure your doctors go over all of your options until YOU'RE comfortable!!

Peace.
    Linda
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    here's what I think
    I have had bilateral reconstruction with a free flap procedure taking tissue from the abdomen. I chose the free flap because: a)I did have plenty of tissue at the donor site, b)it preserved the muscle at the donor site c)implants are an easier surgery, but all have to be redone at some point in the future d)I had lived with expanders for a year and never felt "natural" with them.

For me the recovery of range of movement in the shoulders and arms was much faster with the reconstruction than with the original mastectomy.

Of course you are the only one who can decide in your case, but I think doing both sides by the same procedure would make it much easier to achieve symmetry. My understanding of the latissimus dorsi procedure is that it is no worse than any other attached flap procedure as far as pain and recovery are concerned.

I got a book on the ACS online bookstore called: The Breast Reconstruction Guidebook which I found to be very informative. In fact after I bought it, I went to the surgeon and he actually gave it to me in his patient information packet...confirmation that it is a good book.

Best whishes in making your decision.
    seof
  • chickad52
    Linda and Seof
    Thank You for your advice. It's so hard to make these decisions. I feel like my head is going to explode one of these days. I will be having another pet scan and bilateral ultra sound today so I'm nervous about that also. Hugs to you, Diane
  • LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    chickad52 said:

Linda and Seof
    Thank You for your advice. It's so hard to make these decisions. I feel like my head is going to explode one of these days. I will be having another pet scan and bilateral ultra sound today so I'm nervous about that also. Hugs to you, Diane

Do you have someone who can
    Do you have someone who can go with you to write things down for you? I am lucky to have my best friend as my primary care provider! She comes with me and then interprets afterward.

Sending good vibes on the results of your scans . . . hang in there!

Peace.
    Linda
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    It's a year and a half since
    It's a year and a half since bilateral surgery and I'm still on the fence about reconstruction, so I can't help you there, Diane. But I am curious - why are you having your surgeries at different times?
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    lynn1950 said:

It's a year and a half since bilateral surgery and I'm still on the fence about reconstruction, so I can't help you there, Diane. But I am curious - why are you having your surgeries at different times?

I had a lumpectomy Diane,
    I had a lumpectomy Diane, but, I wanted to wish you good luck. I hope that the bc survivors can help you with your questions.

HUGS!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

I had a lumpectomy Diane,
    I had a lumpectomy Diane, but, I wanted to wish you good luck. I hope that the bc survivors can help you with your questions.

HUGS!

Diane, you have some tough
    Diane, you have some tough decisions to make. Get all the info you can, ask questions if you're not comfortable about your decision. I might be having to make those decisions shortly when I find out more about my surgery. I read a lot on this board to find out what my sisters have done or are doing but you will have to make your own decision. Wishing you the best with whatever you decide and sending up a prayer for you.
  • chickad52
    lynn1950 said:

Lynn
    because I have to have radiation for 6 and 1/2 weeks. So when I have the right one done they will do the reconstruction at the same time.
  • chickad52
    LC815 said:

Do you have someone who can
    Do you have someone who can go with you to write things down for you? I am lucky to have my best friend as my primary care provider! She comes with me and then interprets afterward.

Sending good vibes on the results of your scans . . . hang in there!

Peace.
    Linda

Linda
    I do, my daughter who is a nurse goes with us to meet the doctors also. She is a blessing. She knows all the right questions to ask! Hugs, Diane