bra

abundant faith
abundant faith Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm the mom of a 24, 5 month pregnant daughter who had a mastectomy last week. Can you tell me what she can do about wearing a bra? I keep hearing about a $45 dollar bra and padding but don't know where to find one. Thanks!

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    WOW
    Wow, she has a lot to deal with right now. One place to get many cancer related things is the TLC catalog which you can order from the American Cancer Society website, or ask at your Drs. office, they may have one. The American Cancer Soceity in your local area may also be able to offer resources for you. You can find them on the website. Basically any soft, flexible bra that is comfortable for her should be OK. Stay away from underwires for now. Ask her Dr. or nurse too. Nurses specialize in keeping patients comfortable. I know there are some lengere makers that have some mastectomy supplies, but none come to mind at the moment.

You are a very supportive Mom, keep it up! seof
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    The hospital where she had
    The hospital where she had the surgery should be able to give you some leads on getting the bra she needs. In the waiting room of my doctor I found a catalog from the American Cancer Society with several different types of bras. Also, you might try looking online. I wish you & your daughter the best...
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Tux said:

The hospital where she had
    The hospital where she had the surgery should be able to give you some leads on getting the bra she needs. In the waiting room of my doctor I found a catalog from the American Cancer Society with several different types of bras. Also, you might try looking online. I wish you & your daughter the best...

Insurance?
    Does your daughter have insurance? If so, check with them to see if they will pay for her bras. I had a lumpectomy, but, our insurance paid almost everything for some new comfortable bras for me to use for awhile. I think there was only a limit as to how many I could get and I think it was 6 in a year. I only got a couple. Also, your oncologist or cancer center might know of a bra store that specializes in fitting women with breast cancer. Ask them. Good luck!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Jeanne D said:

Insurance?
    Does your daughter have insurance? If so, check with them to see if they will pay for her bras. I had a lumpectomy, but, our insurance paid almost everything for some new comfortable bras for me to use for awhile. I think there was only a limit as to how many I could get and I think it was 6 in a year. I only got a couple. Also, your oncologist or cancer center might know of a bra store that specializes in fitting women with breast cancer. Ask them. Good luck!

Love, Jeanne ♥

My cancer center had bras
    My cancer center had bras and they also had names of 2 specialty shops in town that had bras for women with bc. Just ask at your hospital. Wishing your daughter good luck.

Lex♥
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Check w/local ACS
    American Cancer Society. Many of them have wigs, bras, scarves etc. After I had my bilateral mastectomy and occasionally now I use the 3 for $10 Walmart sports bras as they were quite comfortable. I used the soft padded filler that I got from ACS. Lola
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Check w/local ACS
    American Cancer Society. Many of them have wigs, bras, scarves etc. After I had my bilateral mastectomy and occasionally now I use the 3 for $10 Walmart sports bras as they were quite comfortable. I used the soft padded filler that I got from ACS. Lola

Be sure and call or email
    Be sure and call or email the American Cancer Society and do as the others said, ask your oncologist. They should have info on this for you.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    the doctors office where she
    the doctors office where she had the mestectomy should beable to tell you and my insurence paids for 2 bras a year. good luck
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    ladybug22 said:

the doctors office where she
    the doctors office where she had the mestectomy should beable to tell you and my insurence paids for 2 bras a year. good luck

My insurance paid for any
    My insurance paid for any bras that I might need. Ask your hospital, cancer center or oncologist. They will guide you to where your daughter would need to go.