Stage 1 breast cancer

freedom719
freedom719 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone done a regional anaesthetic called paravertabral? Also a pain releiver calledtramadol? I've read that these are safer than general anaesthetic and morphine.

Comments

• LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    I haven't heard of these
    I haven't heard of these drugs, but I will tell you that I've had general anesthetic a bunch of times and morphine after my "big" surgery (mastectomy and reconstruction). I am no worse for wear from these.

Welcome to the discussion. What's your diagnosis? What will your surgery be? I had a lumpectomy under a local and it was no big deal. I was back at work the same day.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Safer Depends
    I had a nurse that was allergic to most if not all general anaesthetics and had to have major surgery of various sorts with locals and other kinds of stuff. I have also read of folks that did the whole thing(a mastectomy) with locals so they knew what was going on. However, if you are actually awake while this surgery is going on, be sure you can deal with all the medical procedures that are going to go on. The doctors can make sure that you aren't moving, but I'm thinking of how you might feel rather than how they might be able to do their work. I preferred not to have memories and it is a decision I really don't regret. If you have had problems with general anesthesia before, you may not have a choice. The only problems I had from general anesthesia and morophine were a temporary sore throat for a few hours (butterscotch candy and ice chips took care of it) and constipation (I recommend Phillips Milk of Magnesia anytime you take pain meds!). Again, if you have medical problems that make it impossible to take general anesthesia, you may have to do something else. Talk to an anethesiologist and I'm sure they can explain what would be best.

C. Abbott
  • LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    cabbott said:

Safer Depends
    I had a nurse that was allergic to most if not all general anaesthetics and had to have major surgery of various sorts with locals and other kinds of stuff. I have also read of folks that did the whole thing(a mastectomy) with locals so they knew what was going on. However, if you are actually awake while this surgery is going on, be sure you can deal with all the medical procedures that are going to go on. The doctors can make sure that you aren't moving, but I'm thinking of how you might feel rather than how they might be able to do their work. I preferred not to have memories and it is a decision I really don't regret. If you have had problems with general anesthesia before, you may not have a choice. The only problems I had from general anesthesia and morophine were a temporary sore throat for a few hours (butterscotch candy and ice chips took care of it) and constipation (I recommend Phillips Milk of Magnesia anytime you take pain meds!). Again, if you have medical problems that make it impossible to take general anesthesia, you may have to do something else. Talk to an anethesiologist and I'm sure they can explain what would be best.

C. Abbott

Emotions
    I am glad you reminded me of something C. Abbott. When I had my port taken out and my lumpectomy, there were a lot of things I'd rather not have witnessed. There was the smell and sound of cauterization, for example. I think that if I had had a valium and a local it might have been better, but it wasn't horrible. For the lumpectomy, my nurse was wonderful and very maternal. She held my hand and stroked my arm which helped mitigate the tension. I also talked with my surgeon the whole time, and that was good. When I had a biopsy, though, and had "twilight", another surgeon wasn't so engaged with me and it wasn't comforting. However, once it's over, it's over and if recovery is better then that's a good thing.