need a recipe 4 gravy...

Taina
Taina Member Posts: 166
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Thanksgiving is coming up....
I have never make gravy and want to do it this year...
please help....
thanks!!!

Comments

• Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I do it the 'traditional'
    I do it the 'traditional' way. Just take a little bit of the juice from the turkey (about a cup), whisk in some flour (about 1/2 cup) until it thickens, then add more juice to taste. You can also add in some chicken broth if necessary. I'll be watching for more suggestions, however. Also... does anyone have any great stuffing recipes? I'd love to try something new.

I'm just hoping I can 'taste' what I make. I haven't lost my taste buds yet, but have only just had my 2nd treatment. I understand it might still happen :(
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Gravy
    Hi Taina, I take the juice off of my turkey and put it in a skillet style frying pan (deeper pan) and bring it to a boil on the stove then I slowly add my mixture (use a plastic drinking glass and put like a half-three quarters of a cup of flour in it and add hot water to make a thick mix). I slowly add this to my boiling turkey broth while stirring with a whisk, once thick you can turn it down and let it simmer, add salt and pepper to taste. One more little "cheat" secret, I add a couple jars of turkey gravy to this because it has great flavor and I usually don't get enough juice off of the bird.
    Good Luck
    Kari
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    no recipe but
    I take the drippings from the pan I cooked the turkey in as well as scrape anything stuck to the bottom of the pan. I use cornstarch instead of flour. Easier to control lumps and if you get a bit too much in it doesn't taste like flour. The best way to do the cornstarch is start out with no more than 1/4 cup. Mix it with cold water and then drizzle it into the boiling drippings as you cook it you will be able to tell if you need to add more. I also dice up the giblets and put in my gravy.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646

no recipe but
    I take the drippings from the pan I cooked the turkey in as well as scrape anything stuck to the bottom of the pan. I use cornstarch instead of flour. Easier to control lumps and if you get a bit too much in it doesn't taste like flour. The best way to do the cornstarch is start out with no more than 1/4 cup. Mix it with cold water and then drizzle it into the boiling drippings as you cook it you will be able to tell if you need to add more. I also dice up the giblets and put in my gravy.

NO RECIPE
    i do the same as sweetvickid when i cook my giblets a use the water where i cooked the giblets with the dripping good luck
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    ladybug22 said:

NO RECIPE
    i do the same as sweetvickid when i cook my giblets a use the water where i cooked the giblets with the dripping good luck

Bisto
    Granules. Just add water. It does exactly what it says on the tin!..LOL
    First time I tried to make gravy it just wasn't happening, it looked like dishwater, so I added more Corn stuff...And More.... AND MORE! All of a sudden it started thickening up and within about 3 seconds I could life the pan off the oven by the spoon in it!...It carried on thickening whilst I was maniacally throwing water at it..No hope! It ended up like a grey 4inch thick rubber frizbee..... The dog wouldn't touch it after I bounced it around the kitchen... even the dustbinmen (garbage collectors) refused to take it, thinking it was nuclear waste!
    Never again..........Bisto Gravy Granules......every time.

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    tasha_111 said:

Bisto
    First time I tried to make gravy it just wasn't happening, it looked like dishwater, so I added more Corn stuff...And More.... AND MORE! All of a sudden it started thickening up and within about 3 seconds I could life the pan off the oven by the spoon in it!...It carried on thickening whilst I was maniacally throwing water at it..No hope! It ended up like a grey 4inch thick rubber frizbee..... The dog wouldn't touch it after I bounced it around the kitchen... even the dustbinmen (garbage collectors) refused to take it, thinking it was nuclear waste!

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I pretty much follow the
    I pretty much follow the above recipes, however, instead of water, i use milk. I makes is more like a thick country gravy, but everyone raves about it. I also add a tablespoon of butter, just to make it as fattening as i can.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    meena1 said:

I pretty much follow the
    I pretty much follow the above recipes, however, instead of water, i use milk. I makes is more like a thick country gravy, but everyone raves about it. I also add a tablespoon of butter, just to make it as fattening as i can.

The above recipes sound
    The above recipes sound rather traditional to me, and I am not known for sticking to tradition. I use the sack of "innards" (which include the neck, liver, gizzard, heart, etc) of the turkey, and boil that in water. When the gizzard is somewhat done, I remove the meats and then pull as much meat from the bone of the neck as I can, slice the gizzard, liver and heart, and return it to the water. To that I add one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup, one can of Cream of Chicken Soup, one small onion diced, one stick of celery diced, and one boiled egg, diced. Let this come to a boil, and cook until the celery is soft. Add salt and pepper. That makes a good gravy, without a lot of work. Enjoy. Hugs,
    Judy
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508

The above recipes sound
    The above recipes sound rather traditional to me, and I am not known for sticking to tradition. I use the sack of "innards" (which include the neck, liver, gizzard, heart, etc) of the turkey, and boil that in water. When the gizzard is somewhat done, I remove the meats and then pull as much meat from the bone of the neck as I can, slice the gizzard, liver and heart, and return it to the water. To that I add one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup, one can of Cream of Chicken Soup, one small onion diced, one stick of celery diced, and one boiled egg, diced. Let this come to a boil, and cook until the celery is soft. Add salt and pepper. That makes a good gravy, without a lot of work. Enjoy. Hugs,
    Judy

"Without a lot of work??"
    I'm tired just reading it! Sounds like you're quite the cook, Judy. It sounds wonderful! Can you set 4 extra plates? PLEASE?
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    tasha_111 said:

Bisto

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOL!!!
    I like your idea Tasha since I do not cook. But, if I did cook, I would take your advice. It would still be homemade since it was made at home, right? Pammy
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Mom's Perfect Gravy Recipe
    2 Tablespoons of flour
    1/4 Cup Water
    1 Cup Meat Broth

Stir flour into cold water and then slowly pour into meat broth. Heat to boiling over medium heat stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Total 1 cup of gravy.

C. Abbott

PS. The other way is go to the store, buy Campbell's gravy, open can, nuke, and serve. Total: about 1 cup.
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    THANK YOU ALL
    thanks a lot...
    i'm ready for my turkey now...
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    cabbott said:

Mom's Perfect Gravy Recipe
    2 Tablespoons of flour
    1/4 Cup Water
    1 Cup Meat Broth

Stir flour into cold water and then slowly pour into meat broth. Heat to boiling over medium heat stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Total 1 cup of gravy.

C. Abbott

PS. The other way is go to the store, buy Campbell's gravy, open can, nuke, and serve. Total: about 1 cup.

Mine is pretty much the
    Mine is pretty much the same, but I add a little Kitchen Bouquet. I love that stuff in a gravy!
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Taina said:

THANK YOU ALL
    thanks a lot...
    i'm ready for my turkey now...

no lumps
    Ok no pun intended here ladies.... I am not a good gravy maker but do have my perfect every time Thanksgiving gravy. When I roast the turkey I put lots of sliced shallots and onions in the bottom of the roaster. After the turkey is out and resting I scoop all those marvelous seasoned pieces and put them in a blender. Add a bit of chicken broth and perfect everytime!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    tasha_111 said:

Bisto

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tasha:
    You must have gotten your gravy recipe from me. Mine taste like flour. I just buy the jar of gravy and nuke it.