This is Amazing!

Jeanne D
Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Did anyone else see or read about this? Unbelievable, but wonderful, I think. Is it for real?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/nov/12/mastectomy-regrow-breasts-trial

Breast regrowth procedure trialled for mastectomy patients
Human trials to begin of surgical treatment that could allow women to regrow their breasts after a mastectomy

Buzz up!
Digg it (16)
James Meikle
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 12 November 2009 12.04 GMT
Article history

Mammogram scans for breast cancer. Photograph: Lester Lefkowitz/Getty

Scientists have developed a revolutionary surgical treatment that could allow women with cancer to regrow their breasts after a mastectomy.

Human trials for the procedure, which scientists hope could replace breast reconstructions and implants, will start within three to six months, it was revealed in Melbourne, Australia. It is likely to be three years before the technique is fully developed, researchers said.

The procedure involves inserting a biodegradable chamber into the woman's chest, contoured to match her natural breast shape and containing stem cells from her own fat tissue. These cells will divide and grow to recreate the permanent fat found in breasts.

Phillip Marzella, of the Bernard O'Brien Institute of Microsurgery, said in an interview with ABC radio: "We are starting what is called a prototype trial in the next three to six months – a proof of principle trial with about five to six women just to demonstrate that the body can regrow its own fat supply in the breast. Rather than have silicone implant or more complex surgery, we implant them with a device that we've developed."

The first trials would involve a non-biodegradable chamber, Marzella said. "What we are hoping to do in the next two years is develop a biodegradable chamber so that the fat can grow inside the chamber and then the chamber will vanish naturally."

Two approaches were involved, he said. "One is actually that nature abhors a vacuum so the chamber itself, because it is empty, it tends to be filled in by the body on itself. The second approach we have also developed is a gel-like substance that we can inject inside the chamber and that can also stimulate that growth.

"We will know within three to four months that you are actually getting fat and we are hoping to get a fully formed fat within six to eight months."

Preclinical tests in animals encouraged the researchers to be confident about starting human trials. Similar techniques had been tried for the bladder, but this was the first time a procedure had been developed for the breast, Marzella said.

"We are hoping to move on to other organs using the same principle – a chamber that protects and contains cells as they grow and they restore their normal function. So it is a pretty major leap for regenerative surgery and medicine."

Marzella said the procedure could replace breast reconstructions and implants within three years if it worked.

"We are hoping to be with a biodegradable prototype within 24 months, so at the end of these three years we will have to have another half a dozen patients. Certainly [it] doesn't relieve [patients] of the trauma of the cancer but it could be offering patients an alternative and some sort of relief from the diagnosis of breast cancer to know that they can regrow the breast."

He said the procedure had potential for cosmetic surgery, although he did not see it being used for such purposes in the near future.

"Certainly the same principle can be used for defects, so people that might have lost a piece of a face or the end of the nose, we are thinking we can use the same technology using a biodegradable scaffold that can then be filled with the patient's own tissue and cells," he said.

"In terms of the cosmetic use, we probably don't envisage this in the next five to 10 years, so I think in the first instance [it is] very much reconstructive therapies that would benefit from it."

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    saw it on the news tonite
    Jeanne, sounds great huh? was a much shorter version, but the same concept. So, hopefully in the future, this will be here too
    thanks for the heads up!
    =^..^=
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    cats_toy said:

Jeanne, sounds great huh? was a much shorter version, but the same concept. So, hopefully in the future, this will be here too
    thanks for the heads up!
    =^..^=

I saw it too and couldn't
    I saw it too and couldn't believe it. It would be great!

KYLEZ ♥
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!
    Yes that would be great!! hopefully in the future!!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    We really COULD take fat from our hips and put it on our boobs?
    COOL!!!!

Thanks for the article...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    KathiM said:

We really COULD take fat from our hips and put it on our boobs?
    COOL!!!!

Thanks for the article...

Hugs, Kathi

Welcome
    You are welcome Kathi! When I read this, I was actually stunned! This would be amazing!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    cats_toy said:

thanks for the heads up!
    =^..^=

Yes, I saw this on the news
    Yes, I saw this on the news and just about passed out. This will change bc forever!

Thanks Jeanne for posting this!

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Jeanne D said:

Welcome
    You are welcome Kathi! When I read this, I was actually stunned! This would be amazing!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Wouldn't this be great if
    Wouldn't this be great if they can do this? But, it sounds like they can. This will change women that have to have mastectomy's lives so much! Thanks for this article.

HUGS
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

Wouldn't this be great if
    Wouldn't this be great if they can do this? But, it sounds like they can. This will change women that have to have mastectomy's lives so much! Thanks for this article.

HUGS

I Read on the BBC News Health Page
    They have actually grown human breasts inside a chamber in a pig.........I wonder about swine flu...LOL

Hugs jxxxxxxxx
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    tasha_111 said:

I Read on the BBC News Health Page
    They have actually grown human breasts inside a chamber in a pig.........I wonder about swine flu...LOL

Hugs jxxxxxxxx

Thanks for this article
    Thanks for this article Jeanne. I did read about it on the internet and just couldn't believe it myself. It is about time that modern science did something to help women with bc.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    cats_toy said:

thanks for the heads up!
    =^..^=

This does sound great! Now,
    This does sound great! Now, if they would just find a cure, or, should I say release it to us. You know there had to be one out there.

Debby
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    cats_toy said:

thanks for the heads up!
    =^..^=

Yep, I saw it on the news
    Yep, I saw it on the news and was shocked. This will change women that have mastectomy's lives drastically, in a good way. Thanks for posting this.

Lex♥