should I shave my head the 3rd. time?

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I ask earlier your input about my hair starting to grow back .But it is about a half inch of stuble that is hurting my head.I put gel in it thinking it would make it lay down.But it still is sticking straight out.So it hurts to touch it.When I washed the gel out their was alot of lose hair in the sink.So I am wondering if I should shave it one more time.I am fI was finished with Chemo.I was surprised at the lose hair that came out.My last chemo was Oct.3rd.I was hoping my hair had a good start growing back.but by my head being sore and the lose hair if it is dead.Some of you that have been through this ,I would appriatte your thoughts.I did my first radiation treatment today.Love and prayers.(Pat).

Comments

• elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    I think you should do
    I think you should do whatever makes you feel best. My last chemo was July 2 so it's been a while for me. My hair grew back in a strange kind of way. the sides and back grew quickest, then the top and the very front was last. And it grew back almost like in layers? So I would have some hair all over my head that was 1 in long, some that was a half inch long and some new stubble. In fact, I think even now I still have stubble from new hair growing in. I have gotten it cut 3 or 4 times trying to let the top catch up with the sides and back ( I didn't want a mullet :-)).

Beth
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    elizarose said:

I think you should do
    I think you should do whatever makes you feel best. My last chemo was July 2 so it's been a while for me. My hair grew back in a strange kind of way. the sides and back grew quickest, then the top and the very front was last. And it grew back almost like in layers? So I would have some hair all over my head that was 1 in long, some that was a half inch long and some new stubble. In fact, I think even now I still have stubble from new hair growing in. I have gotten it cut 3 or 4 times trying to let the top catch up with the sides and back ( I didn't want a mullet :-)).

Beth

Mullet vs. mohawk
    I'm so glad you said this, Beth -- I have the exact same problem, only in reverse. The top is growing so much more quickly than the back and sides -- I look like I'm trying to grow a mohawk!

My girlfriend and I have the same hairdresser, and I'm going with her to her appointment tomorrow evening, to get a professional's opinion on how to make this whole regrowing experience look a little more normal. But like you, Pat, I'm seriously thinking that I may need to buzz everything again to try to even it out.

Traci
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    TraciInLA said:

Mullet vs. mohawk
    I'm so glad you said this, Beth -- I have the exact same problem, only in reverse. The top is growing so much more quickly than the back and sides -- I look like I'm trying to grow a mohawk!

My girlfriend and I have the same hairdresser, and I'm going with her to her appointment tomorrow evening, to get a professional's opinion on how to make this whole regrowing experience look a little more normal. But like you, Pat, I'm seriously thinking that I may need to buzz everything again to try to even it out.

Traci

Oh yeah, I remember when the
    Oh yeah, I remember when the top back was growing faster and I felt like it came up in a point... I had to trim it so it didn't look like a faux hawk :) Then it got really curly and the sides grew like crazy. Kind of a bozo the clown look...Ah memories :)
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    elizarose said:

Oh yeah, I remember when the
    Oh yeah, I remember when the top back was growing faster and I felt like it came up in a point... I had to trim it so it didn't look like a faux hawk :) Then it got really curly and the sides grew like crazy. Kind of a bozo the clown look...Ah memories :)

I would get the professional
    I would get the professional opinion, they prob know how to even out/cover/ in order to get you to a style .
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    carkris said:

I would get the professional
    I would get the professional opinion, they prob know how to even out/cover/ in order to get you to a style .

Ladies
    I shaved several times. It always was for the best. I did not want Chemo drugs to stay in my body. I believed that the first hair after Chemo were damaged. i know it did work for me, they grew better every time. Of course it is very personal decision.
    Pat you should do whatever makes you feel good.
    Hugs
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Pat, I, too, shaved my head
    Pat, I, too, shaved my head twice. The last time was shortly after my last chemo. I did it because my onc said the hair would all fall out anyway. Mine is very slow in growing back, barely anything there at this point. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. Good luck on rads, I'm doing my 6th one today.
  • ppurdin
    TraciInLA said:

Mullet vs. mohawk

Traci

shaving head.
    Hi Traci,if you would let us know what your hair dresser says.I haven,t shaved it again yet,but i am thinking I will have two.the hair coming in looks damaged.I don,t think it will look very good.I am thinking if I shave it one more time,maybe it will be ok.I hate to,its nice to think your hair is coming back.Take care.Love and Prayers(Pat).
  • ppurdin
    MyTurnNow said:

Pat, I, too, shaved my head
    Pat, I, too, shaved my head twice. The last time was shortly after my last chemo. I did it because my onc said the hair would all fall out anyway. Mine is very slow in growing back, barely anything there at this point. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. Good luck on rads, I'm doing my 6th one today.

Hi myturnNow.
    I just done my second one today.I have 31 to go.That sounds like alot.I think I will count weeks instead of days.I will probly shave my head again.Hopefully next time it will come in better.Keep in touch please.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • ppurdin
    Thanks everyone for your replys.
    I will let you know what i end up doing.I am thinking I will shave it again.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    Yep
    I say shave it. My last chemo was July 27, at that time I had little sprouts all over, then a week later the sprouts started falling out. I shaved my head again so that I didn't have little tufts of hair here and there. A few weeks later my head sprouted again, thickest (but not really thick)on top and little on the sides. Now I have about 3/4 inch on top and a half inch on sides. I stopped wearing hats about three weeks ago. Good luck with your hair. Scout