Lose your fingernails?

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ok...all ready prepped that I will lose my hair. Just read a blog that talked about losing your fingernails! Is there any other wierd things that I should know about before chemo next week?

Comments

• elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    One thing nobody told me was
    One thing nobody told me was that my when my hair started falling out, my hair would "hurt". It's really hard to explain, but lying on my pillow was painful. Once I had my head buzzed it quit hurting so much. I guess it's the hair follicle that hurts. I've talked to others who experienced this too.
    My nails didn't fall off but they got kind rough and bumpy looking and some started turning dark.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I won't let it!
    This was one of my concerns as I've heard that was a side effect. I brought it up to my oncologist and he said that there are many side effects listed with chemo and if only just one person had something like their nails fall off, it had to be listed as a side effect. He said not to get concerned about all the possibilities and just take one day at a time, especially because my side effects seem to be very minimal at the present time. Reading is good and very informative but at times it can be overwhelming. We have a 'wealth' of information at our fingertips because of the computer but sometimes it's best to draw the line at getting 'too much info'. I am banking on not losing my nails during chemo. I've lost my breast, my hair and my tan to cancer... ENOUGH already! :)
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Not yet
    14 days out from chemo #1 Elizarose is right. There is no way to explain the hair failing out deal.. My head was a little tender two days ago. Now it is weird! My hair is falling out even as I sit here. But tomorrow I shave it off to end this madness. My nails are doing great. Probably because like you I was real freaked out when I read a post about nails. I have been putting a vitamin e, sweet almond oil concoction I got from one of those Mall kiosks (a few years ago) where they pull you in to show you how great they can make your nails look. It is working like a dream.

Becky
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Losing your hair.
    When I heard I was going to lose my hair,I never imagined all my hair,and I mean all my hair came out.I am talking Private hair.So that was a shock for me.My finger nails are ok.I have noticed that my eye sight is much worse since Chemo.Good luck to you.(Pat).
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    always said:

Not yet
    14 days out from chemo #1 Elizarose is right. There is no way to explain the hair failing out deal.. My head was a little tender two days ago. Now it is weird! My hair is falling out even as I sit here. But tomorrow I shave it off to end this madness. My nails are doing great. Probably because like you I was real freaked out when I read a post about nails. I have been putting a vitamin e, sweet almond oil concoction I got from one of those Mall kiosks (a few years ago) where they pull you in to show you how great they can make your nails look. It is working like a dream.

Becky

After I started Taxol
    ...some of my fingernails got red marks on them - almost looked like they were bruised. That went away several weeks after I completed my chemo. Everyone responds differently and it will depend on what chemo you'll be on. My first round was A/C - every two weeks for 8 weeks - then the Taxol (which caused the red nail thing), every two weeks for 8 weeks. Hopefully your nails will be just fine.
    -Jenny
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    elizarose said:

One thing nobody told me was
    One thing nobody told me was that my when my hair started falling out, my hair would "hurt". It's really hard to explain, but lying on my pillow was painful. Once I had my head buzzed it quit hurting so much. I guess it's the hair follicle that hurts. I've talked to others who experienced this too.
    My nails didn't fall off but they got kind rough and bumpy looking and some started turning dark.

Nails falling out
    I also heard about this in a presentation given by a dermatologist who also was trained as a pharmacist, Dr. Joel E. Holloway, M.D., whose wife had cancer. He suggested using nail wax routinely to help protect the nails or to protect the fingers if the nails fall out. He also said that one can use Super Glue Gel (NOT the liquid form) to seal any painful areas that occur as a result of the nail loss. He figured out a lot of things to help his wife, so now I & others who live in my area are benefiting.

Sandy
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    ppurdin said:

Losing your hair.
    When I heard I was going to lose my hair,I never imagined all my hair,and I mean all my hair came out.I am talking Private hair.So that was a shock for me.My finger nails are ok.I have noticed that my eye sight is much worse since Chemo.Good luck to you.(Pat).

Nails
    I never lost my fingernails but did lose 1/2 a toenail.
    All nails had a black tinge to them.
    Now all is fine.

Margo
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I'm not having any problems
    I'm not having any problems with my nails and no mouth sores. Scalp did hurt during shedding process. My appetite has yet to go away-thats one thing I wish would go. If you have the neulasta shot, you will have bone aches, mostly legs. Good luck next week, it's not too bad getting through it.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Nails......
    I am three months out from Chemo.....and 2 weeks out from rads.....I was told and warned at the beginning about taking extra good care of my nails and toenails.....I had Taxotere/Cytoxan...I used Sally Hansen Triple strenghth....it's in a green bottle....used it faithfully.....my nails sort of "humped up" and turned dark at the base and had lines that move up as the nails grew....probably going to lose one toenail...some of my nails are sore, still, same with the two big toenails.

Good luck!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I didn't lose any nails.
    I didn't lose any nails. They turned a little dark but not much. The nurse or oncologist told me to put nail sealant on them to protect against infection. Ask your doctor or nurse.
  • KeriLee
    KeriLee Member Posts: 25
    nails
    I think it depends on the chemo drugs if you lose your nails, I did a clinical trial and lost all of my finger and toe nails. But they have all grown back, toe nails still a little brittle but I got a cream for them from the beauty supply that should help, it did with my finger nails. Now if I can just get my hugh dog to stay off my feet!
    Keri
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    KeriLee said:

nails
    I think it depends on the chemo drugs if you lose your nails, I did a clinical trial and lost all of my finger and toe nails. But they have all grown back, toe nails still a little brittle but I got a cream for them from the beauty supply that should help, it did with my finger nails. Now if I can just get my hugh dog to stay off my feet!
    Keri

Taxotare
    I lost all my finger and toe nails, you could clearly see the 3 ridges from the 3 taxotare treatments, they kind of feathered off then regrew.......Scary because I wasn't expecting it.
    Now I have a thousand problems with ingrowing toenails..........Yes, I know, I'm making you hungry!

Hugs jxxxxxxxxxx
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Taxotare
    I lost all my finger and toe nails, you could clearly see the 3 ridges from the 3 taxotare treatments, they kind of feathered off then regrew.......Scary because I wasn't expecting it.
    Now I have a thousand problems with ingrowing toenails..........Yes, I know, I'm making you hungry!

Hugs jxxxxxxxxxx

I thought that I had read
    I thought that I had read somewhere that with some chemo treatment you get ridges on them for each treatment. My sister got the ridges also. Sometimes I grab JJ's hand and foot and tell me I'm hungry for finger sandwiches with toe jam. He cracks up. Is that what you meant by making us hungry.

Stef
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    fauxma said:

I thought that I had read
    I thought that I had read somewhere that with some chemo treatment you get ridges on them for each treatment. My sister got the ridges also. Sometimes I grab JJ's hand and foot and tell me I'm hungry for finger sandwiches with toe jam. He cracks up. Is that what you meant by making us hungry.

Stef

I never lost a fingernail
    I never lost a fingernail but the nails on my big toes came loose and were realy sore...still are actually and I finished chemo in Sept.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

I never lost a fingernail
    I never lost a fingernail but the nails on my big toes came loose and were realy sore...still are actually and I finished chemo in Sept.

Hair falling out hurt for a
    Hair falling out hurt for a while even after I shaved my head. I am having my last chemo treatment next week. My nails turned white with ridges. Easy to peel and break. I use tea tree oil on them at night and always keep nail polish on. Seems to be working so far.
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    weird things while chemo
    hello...
    i had 4 tx's of chemo (taxotere & cytoxan).
    **hair started falling 10 days after my 1st chemo.
    it hurt a little at firts, like if you have a ponytail
    and take it out.
    **my face got so red and my head was hot.
    after my 2nd tx i took 2 benadril 1 hr prior to my next 2 treatments.
    **my nail turned yellow and black color after last treatment.
    **my eyebrow and eye lashes started falling after last treatment.
    **i couldn't sleep, not even with sleeping pills.
    **some smells made me sick.
    **weard taste drinking water.
    **couldn't drink coffee and diet coke due to caffeine, it made me sick.
    **i'm 44 y.o. no period after 2nd treatment and i'm still don't have my period.
    dr said i will probably get it back.
    **veins colapes...i don't have a port.

i'm currently doing radiation treatment, 5 more to go...

good luck...you can do it...time goes so fast...drink lots of water....
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    nobody has mentioned
    I see nobody has mentioned fake nails...I have had salon nails since 1998! and am not about to quit going there now!
    For the last year or so, I have been getting "pink and white" and I am going to continue to do so right thru chemo. No idea how it will turn out but I can let you know.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508

nobody has mentioned
    I see nobody has mentioned fake nails...I have had salon nails since 1998! and am not about to quit going there now!
    For the last year or so, I have been getting "pink and white" and I am going to continue to do so right thru chemo. No idea how it will turn out but I can let you know.

Fake nails
    I had my fake nails taken off. I had nail growth underneath. My tech put a very thin coat of fill on top and put just a clear top coat. They look neat & clean. I've heard that with the fake nails, you can get fungus underneath and not see it so it scared me to keep that going. It's only for a few months, so I'm thinking I can 'deal'.