Arimidex and Sleep

mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
A strange (but good) thing is happening to me. I've been on AI's for 17 months and had many problems with my joints, muscles, and insomnia. Then it happened. I read an article about arthritis and fibromyalgia which said that sleep, particularly REM sleep, was helpful for persons suffering with fibromyalgia. I don't have fibromyalgia, but I decided to use the sedatives that my oncologist prescribed for me, on a limited basis, to get my body back into the habit of falling asleep and staying asleep on its own. Long story short, I've started sleeping regularly and getting 6 - 8 hours of uninterputed sleep. Wonder of wonders, my joint pain and muscle aches have lessened, significantly. I can get out of a chair and no longer look like I'm 99 years old!!!! I thought I'd pass along my experience in the hopes that it might help someone else. It might be worth a phone call to your onc to see what he/she might recommend for you if you're having problems like I did. Hugs, Marilynn

Comments

• elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    How long did you have to
    How long did you have to take the sedatives. I've had trouble sleeping for a long time now.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    elizarose said:

How long did you have to
    How long did you have to take the sedatives. I've had trouble sleeping for a long time now.

I only stayed on them for
    I only stayed on them for about 8 or 9 days, and I changed my bedtime routine. Instead of listening to the radio when I got into bed each night, I avoided noise and light, then got some good books from the library. I also lowered the temeperature to 64 at night so the room is cool. I read for about 30 minutes each night. Then, I turn off the light, get comfortable and fall asleep. I also made sure that the LED displays on my telephone, clock radio and my TV receiver were turned away from me so that those lights didn't distract me. I hope this works for you. All I can say is that I'm sleeping, without the aid of pills, and feeling so much better each day. I still have some stiffness when I wake up, but within a few minutes of moving around, it's gone and I'm ready to rock 'n roll. Hope this helps. Hugs, Marilynn
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    mgm42 said:

I only stayed on them for
    I only stayed on them for about 8 or 9 days, and I changed my bedtime routine. Instead of listening to the radio when I got into bed each night, I avoided noise and light, then got some good books from the library. I also lowered the temeperature to 64 at night so the room is cool. I read for about 30 minutes each night. Then, I turn off the light, get comfortable and fall asleep. I also made sure that the LED displays on my telephone, clock radio and my TV receiver were turned away from me so that those lights didn't distract me. I hope this works for you. All I can say is that I'm sleeping, without the aid of pills, and feeling so much better each day. I still have some stiffness when I wake up, but within a few minutes of moving around, it's gone and I'm ready to rock 'n roll. Hope this helps. Hugs, Marilynn

I am glad that you are
    I am glad that you are getting some sleep finally Marilynn and feeling better!

Leeza
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    jnl said:

I am glad that you are
    I am glad that you are getting some sleep finally Marilynn and feeling better!

Leeza

Fibro
    I never get a good night's sleep anymore. When my fibromyalgia is bad, nothing works for me. Some drs. prescribe anti-depressants to help you relax but the pain keeps me up. The only thing that gives me relief is a pain reliever like Viacodin, but it doesn't last and has to be taken pretty often. I don't want to get addicted so I just tough it out most nights. I'm hoping I don't get a lot of joint pain from the Femara I'm on, that will just add to my problems. I'm glad you're sleeping good and have found something that works. Maybe that'll happen for me one of these nights.