revision after DIEP

seof
seof Member Posts: 819 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey, ladies,

I am finally getting completely over the DIEP procedure I had done in July. The next step will be breast revision and revision of the abdominal scar. Have any of you had experience with this? How does it compare to the DIEP surgery? How long in the hospital, how long recovering at home, how long till you can get back to normal activities, etc. I see Dr. next week and hope he will talk to me about it. So far his response has been markedly UNinformative while we have focused on dealing with the complications of healing from DIEP. I like to plan ahead as much as possible, so I am wondering what is "normal" with this.

Waiting to hear your experiences, thanks, seof

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    I had DIEP immediate reconstruction 4 days in the hospital
    than Chemo, and Radiation. While my Plastic surgeon suggested beast and tummy revisions, I decided not go go for any revisions at this point. Even I was told that it is going to be outpatient surgery 20 min each, I am still recovering from the treatment and delaying any invasive procedure. I think at least in my case, I will need binder and protect abdominal area from heavy lifting. Of course, much easy procedure, go home within two hours after both revisions.
    Ask you doctor.
    Good luck and let us know
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

I had DIEP immediate reconstruction 4 days in the hospital
    than Chemo, and Radiation. While my Plastic surgeon suggested beast and tummy revisions, I decided not go go for any revisions at this point. Even I was told that it is going to be outpatient surgery 20 min each, I am still recovering from the treatment and delaying any invasive procedure. I think at least in my case, I will need binder and protect abdominal area from heavy lifting. Of course, much easy procedure, go home within two hours after both revisions.
    Ask you doctor.
    Good luck and let us know

I think it depends on what

I think it depends on what revisions will be done. I think that the norm with my plastic surgeon is that there are no additional surgeries, only the creation of the nipples and the tattooing which are done in his office. One of my breasts ended up quite a bit larger than the other (I think that the fact that I'd had radiation in one breast was a factor). So, I'm having the larger one reduced, and I've been told that I should plan to be out of work for a couple days and have some restrictions on activities for a couple weeks. The surgery is outpatient.

Joyce
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jk1952 said:

I think it depends on what

I think it depends on what revisions will be done. I think that the norm with my plastic surgeon is that there are no additional surgeries, only the creation of the nipples and the tattooing which are done in his office. One of my breasts ended up quite a bit larger than the other (I think that the fact that I'd had radiation in one breast was a factor). So, I'm having the larger one reduced, and I've been told that I should plan to be out of work for a couple days and have some restrictions on activities for a couple weeks. The surgery is outpatient.

Joyce

Joyce
    I agree , probably radiation change the texture of a flap and radiated breast becomes smaller.
    I am glad that you mentioned it, because sometimes I have been upset about it.
    New Flower
  • 20questions
    20questions Member Posts: 24
    Typically it's an outpatient procedure
    at most a night in the hospital. 3 to 4 hours for abdominal scar revision, revision of the breast flaps (shaping), nipple reconstruction. There may be other procedures combined, some of the surgeons who do this do lipo around the donor site area for contouring while others do a significant amount of lipo in not on the donor area but others too to improve the all over body shape. Why don't you call your surgeons office and ask to speak to a patient who has completed the amount and type of revisions you are scheduled for. Ask her about her recovery. They should be anxious to share this info with you and you'll get first hand info. Best Wishes!