Starting Taxol

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Saw Chemo Dr. today (first time since surgery) and Thursday will be starting Taxol weekly for 12 weeks. As it stands now, to be followed by rads and Femara. It's IBC and was quite large and involved though had shrunk (4 doses of A/C) a lot and there were nodes involved. Guess I'd bettered get busy making/getting more warm head coverings as it'll be a while before I have enough hair back to keep head warm LOL! (I hate hats period - yuck!)

Susan

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    other ideas
    We share the same first name...I would say "small world" except that it is a VERY common name in our generation.

Alternatives to hats: wigs, tattoo (not very warm), scarf, hoodies, buy a mop head and dye it your favorite color of "Yes I am bald, want to make something of it?" and wear it on your head (warm, may attract more attention than you want).
    I did like hats, and still wear some of them. Some of my less "reserved" friends gave me some I only wore indoors, but you just have to have fun with it. Sounds like you can handle that.

Chin up, seof.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Susan, you may find that you
    Susan, you may find that you didn't like hats with your hair but without hair they may look totally different. I was never a hat person either but I wear either a headwrap (purchased at www.4women.com) or a ball cap or bucket hat. The hats have a totally different look without hair. Good luck and I hope you find something to your satisfaction.
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    MyTurnNow said:

Susan, you may find that you didn't like hats with your hair but without hair they may look totally different. I was never a hat person either but I wear either a headwrap (purchased at www.4women.com) or a ball cap or bucket hat. The hats have a totally different look without hair. Good luck and I hope you find something to your satisfaction.

Susan!
    I am following in your footsteps. I have my 1st appt with onc on Monday!! I will be learning of my 'cocktails' & schedule then.

I have never been a 'hat' person either. But, gotta keep the ol noggin warm some how, right?? I'm also not a 'scarf' person either, and I absolutely do not want to wear a wig.

Not sure how I'm gonna handle it, but like everything on this journey, we get through it.

Good luck & prayers that your 1st tx is easy for you!

Hugzzzzzzz
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

It's the 'feel'
    Hair's already been gone for about 9 weeks. It's not the 'look' of hats I hate - it's the 'feel' of anything on my head - period! When I was a little girl (back when dinosuars roamed LOL) little girls were expectd to wear hats to church but Mom could never keep 1 on me so she finally gave up and just pinned a flower or ribbon in my hair.

I have quite a few scarves that' I've made - each has been a little different than the previous and now have almost the perfect pattern (at least for how I sort of tolerate them) down pat. Actually so far I like my fleece Momba-soks (homemade not store bought) the best when out in the cold - yes, it's already quite cold in western South Dakota though it will get worse before better.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    sherria49 said:

Susan!
    I am following in your footsteps. I have my 1st appt with onc on Monday!! I will be learning of my 'cocktails' & schedule then.

I have never been a 'hat' person either. But, gotta keep the ol noggin warm some how, right?? I'm also not a 'scarf' person either, and I absolutely do not want to wear a wig.

Not sure how I'm gonna handle it, but like everything on this journey, we get through it.

Good luck & prayers that your 1st tx is easy for you!

Hugzzzzzzz

Want to wish you good luck
    Want to wish you good luck with Taxol!

HUGS
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    Rague said:

It's the 'feel'
    Hair's already been gone for about 9 weeks. It's not the 'look' of hats I hate - it's the 'feel' of anything on my head - period! When I was a little girl (back when dinosuars roamed LOL) little girls were expectd to wear hats to church but Mom could never keep 1 on me so she finally gave up and just pinned a flower or ribbon in my hair.

I have quite a few scarves that' I've made - each has been a little different than the previous and now have almost the perfect pattern (at least for how I sort of tolerate them) down pat. Actually so far I like my fleece Momba-soks (homemade not store bought) the best when out in the cold - yes, it's already quite cold in western South Dakota though it will get worse before better.

I hate hats too, just never
    I hate hats too, just never liked how they felt on my head. However, when it's really cold outside and you have no hair...a nice soft, warm hat is good to have. The only time I wore mine was when I was cold.
    :)
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    elizarose said:

I hate hats too, just never
    I hate hats too, just never liked how they felt on my head. However, when it's really cold outside and you have no hair...a nice soft, warm hat is good to have. The only time I wore mine was when I was cold.
    :)

hats
    I was never a hat person either ... but after the hair started coming out and I had a friend shave me head I learned to LOVE my little denim bucket hat from tlc catalog. It was perfect. It was "deep" enough that it covered my whole head and I wore it low enough on my forhead that when my eyebrows and eyelashes came out ... no one really noticed. I also had a very soft cotton night cap thing I wore when I went to bed. I couldn't believe how cold the pillowcase felt if forgot to put my nightcap on ... :-)

hugs.
    teena