Chemo Chicks

Cat64
Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ok the waterfall eyes are driving me crazy! If they aren't flowing they are crusty. Anyone else have this happen and what to do? I'm afraid to use any drops thinking it may burn. Help!
Thanks
Cathy

Comments

• always
    always Member Posts: 256
    try drops
    I was in hospital and my eyes and vision were making me crazy. Gentle tears or something that is only saline....it helps! It won't burn. Just be sure it is not something with other additives. Natural Tears, Gentle tears etc.

Hope it gets better soon

becky
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    always said:

try drops
    I was in hospital and my eyes and vision were making me crazy. Gentle tears or something that is only saline....it helps! It won't burn. Just be sure it is not something with other additives. Natural Tears, Gentle tears etc.

Hope it gets better soon

becky

Im having the same problem,
    Im having the same problem, seems like my left eye is always watering or wake up with it crusted. Also, my nose had ran since I started chemo. Onc suggested Claritin, but hasnt helped.
    Deb
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Deb1969 said:

Im having the same problem, seems like my left eye is always watering or wake up with it crusted. Also, my nose had ran since I started chemo. Onc suggested Claritin, but hasnt helped.
    Deb

eyes
    During chemo (taxol/herceptin) my eyes started itching and watering like crazy ... and that continued for a month or so after I finished chemo. Stupid me ... finally looked at my eyes in one of those magnifying mirrors and realized what was going on. My eyelashes were coming out. I hadn't been wearing makeup ... so I didn't have a clue. I just carried kleenex around with me ... and used eyedrops for the itching.

As far as the nose thing goes ... my nose didn't run ... but the chemo must have screwed up the membranes in my nose or something because my nose would stop up ... but when I'd blow it ... it would be bloody globs. I've heard of others who have had bloody noses during chemo. I don't consider what I had to be a bloody nose ... but whenever I blew my nose there was blood. Sorry to be so graphic. But ... it is amazing what chemo does. Oh ... and the fingernails and toenails ... YUK! That didn't start until chemo was almost over then my nails started looking real funky ... like I'd smashed them and they were bruised under the nail. They were lovely! I ended up losing several toenails ... and my thumbnails got pretty but I didn't lose them. I finished chemo the end of May and my nails are just now trying to get back to "normal."

Never a dull moment with cancer treatments. It's just one big "adventure."

hugs.
    teena
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    tgf said:

eyes
    During chemo (taxol/herceptin) my eyes started itching and watering like crazy ... and that continued for a month or so after I finished chemo. Stupid me ... finally looked at my eyes in one of those magnifying mirrors and realized what was going on. My eyelashes were coming out. I hadn't been wearing makeup ... so I didn't have a clue. I just carried kleenex around with me ... and used eyedrops for the itching.

As far as the nose thing goes ... my nose didn't run ... but the chemo must have screwed up the membranes in my nose or something because my nose would stop up ... but when I'd blow it ... it would be bloody globs. I've heard of others who have had bloody noses during chemo. I don't consider what I had to be a bloody nose ... but whenever I blew my nose there was blood. Sorry to be so graphic. But ... it is amazing what chemo does. Oh ... and the fingernails and toenails ... YUK! That didn't start until chemo was almost over then my nails started looking real funky ... like I'd smashed them and they were bruised under the nail. They were lovely! I ended up losing several toenails ... and my thumbnails got pretty but I didn't lose them. I finished chemo the end of May and my nails are just now trying to get back to "normal."

hugs.
    teena

Same problem here. Eyes
    Same problem here. Eyes water looks like I am crying. No crust, just tears. Lost eyelashes to so this may be the problem. Was told that the chemo does this to.
  • Cat64
    always said:

try drops

Hope it gets better soon

becky

Becky
    Thank you for the suggestion. Is that for dry eyes? I've seen things for red eyes & dry eyes but what about something to dry them out? I'm just ready for it to stop already! It started off in only one eye at a time, then both here & there, and progressed to constant all day long until I sleep then it gets crusty. Aggravating! I'm hoping this doesn't last too much longer.
    Cathy
  • Cat64
    Deb1969 said:

Deb

Deb
    My nose was the first to start with the dripping, then it got real dry, it was back & forth. Then I realized it was actually my nose hair falling out. Yuk! Claritin? I thought that was for allergies? Well...I guess it could dry things out. Sorry to hear it hasn't helped.
    Cathy
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Cat64 said:

Becky
    Thank you for the suggestion. Is that for dry eyes? I've seen things for red eyes & dry eyes but what about something to dry them out? I'm just ready for it to stop already! It started off in only one eye at a time, then both here & there, and progressed to constant all day long until I sleep then it gets crusty. Aggravating! I'm hoping this doesn't last too much longer.
    Cathy

Runny nose s/e
    I hadn't thought about it in those terms. I was just worried that I was getting a cold. My nose has been like a faucet since the 3rd day after chemo. I would think it's too soon for the nose hairs to go. Maybe I should check in the mirror. Now picture that - a magnifying mirror and me trying to find nose hairs. Lola
  • Cat64
    tgf said:

eyes

hugs.
    teena

Teena/Kat
    I did notice about a week ago that my eyelashes were thinning but I still have some. I had read on here once before that this can happen after they fall out. But, would this still happen while you still have some? A month "after" you finished?! You mean this can last that long?! Can't dare wear make-up. Could you imagine the burning? Thanks for the heads-up on the nails & toenails. Ewww.....I just can't imagine. So far they are pretty normal,they actually seem stronger than they were. The skin is peeling on my hands though. So much to look forward to...You got that right One Big Adventure!
    Thanks for your replies, it helps to know you are not the only one & that this is all somewhat normal!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Cat64

Runny nose s/e
    I hadn't thought about it in those terms. I was just worried that I was getting a cold. My nose has been like a faucet since the 3rd day after chemo. I would think it's too soon for the nose hairs to go. Maybe I should check in the mirror. Now picture that - a magnifying mirror and me trying to find nose hairs. Lola

Lola
    I've been trying to think of it as a way for the Chemo to escape my body but geez! How many places does it have to come out of?! That's funny! :-)I can just see you in a mirror digging up your nose!
    Cathy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Cat64 said:

Lola
    I've been trying to think of it as a way for the Chemo to escape my body but geez! How many places does it have to come out of?! That's funny! :-)I can just see you in a mirror digging up your nose!
    Cathy

I'm right here with you LADIES of Chemo, always 1 thing
    or another with me and these loopy side efforts of TCH .. I started my 4th - 3 week chemo cycle today .. week #10 with TCH 5 1/2 hours .. as I like to refer to as .. my week from HELL. Taste buds gone already .. so back to eating yogurt, cottage chesse, banana's, soup and my favorite . apple sauce .. Oh JOY. Taking Emend, so no throwing up or neusea-altho .. I feel a bit sick to my stomach for some reason, I have some green pill for neusea in my cabinet, so I will pop 1 tablet after signing off our board tonight.

Nose drips started several weeks ago, first my right side, then my left 2 days later. Twitching of my right eye has continued for just about 10 days .. constant. My eyes have teared up first my right then my left .. I have tried several eye drops .. what has worked for me is Claratin eye drops and Vasoline 'Red'. I alternate between the two, and now for 3 days have minminal eye tears ... meaning I am no longer dripping from both eyes, all day long ...

I am now waiting for my for my ears to start spitting out blood or liquid .. GEEZ can we all say it together. FYI .. I change my pillow case everyday .. I still have my nose hair, and southern region hair .. I continue to shave my underarms and legs, not as frequently. My eyebrows have thinned out, as well as my eye lashes, but I still am sporting both .. 10 weeks into 18 of my continuous chemo torture, oops I mean treatments.

Hope, Love and peace to you all chemo chicks ..

VickiSam
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    VickiSam said:

I'm right here with you LADIES of Chemo, always 1 thing
    or another with me and these loopy side efforts of TCH .. I started my 4th - 3 week chemo cycle today .. week #10 with TCH 5 1/2 hours .. as I like to refer to as .. my week from HELL. Taste buds gone already .. so back to eating yogurt, cottage chesse, banana's, soup and my favorite . apple sauce .. Oh JOY. Taking Emend, so no throwing up or neusea-altho .. I feel a bit sick to my stomach for some reason, I have some green pill for neusea in my cabinet, so I will pop 1 tablet after signing off our board tonight.

Nose drips started several weeks ago, first my right side, then my left 2 days later. Twitching of my right eye has continued for just about 10 days .. constant. My eyes have teared up first my right then my left .. I have tried several eye drops .. what has worked for me is Claratin eye drops and Vasoline 'Red'. I alternate between the two, and now for 3 days have minminal eye tears ... meaning I am no longer dripping from both eyes, all day long ...

I am now waiting for my for my ears to start spitting out blood or liquid .. GEEZ can we all say it together. FYI .. I change my pillow case everyday .. I still have my nose hair, and southern region hair .. I continue to shave my underarms and legs, not as frequently. My eyebrows have thinned out, as well as my eye lashes, but I still am sporting both .. 10 weeks into 18 of my continuous chemo torture, oops I mean treatments.

Hope, Love and peace to you all chemo chicks ..

VickiSam

Chemo Chicks I have the dry
    Chemo Chicks I have the dry crusty eyes, and just keep on rubbing them. This is one heck of an adventure for sure. They cut us, poke our veins, install ports, and serve us "cocktails" with all kinds of hangover effects. We then get shots to build us up, because our cocktails take us way down to the point of exhaustion. Did anyone say barbaric? I'm trying to be humorous, but who can deny this.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Different Problem Than Eyes...
    Hi Guys,

Had my second chemo on 10/30 and wound up in the hospital for 4 days with non-stop bloody diarrhea...under control now and having a colonoscopy on Monday just to rule out any other problems. But that's not my newest problem...it's the chemo "rash". It came back about a week after treatment and is on my face and all over my scalp. They are all sizes, some look like pimples, those are the very sore ones. Anybody have any suggestions on what to put on them? I know they eventually dry up but it's hard sleeping and head covers are kinda painful.

Help! Judy :-)
  • VickiSam
    natly15 said:

Chemo Chicks I have the dry
    Chemo Chicks I have the dry crusty eyes, and just keep on rubbing them. This is one heck of an adventure for sure. They cut us, poke our veins, install ports, and serve us "cocktails" with all kinds of hangover effects. We then get shots to build us up, because our cocktails take us way down to the point of exhaustion. Did anyone say barbaric? I'm trying to be humorous, but who can deny this.

Natly .. Tee Hee Tee Hee
    Humor and strength will get us thru, or so I think .. Right there with you .. Barbaric is a good term to use.

Strength, Love and prayers to you.

VickiSam
  • VickiSam
    Skeezie said:

Different Problem Than Eyes...
    Hi Guys,

Had my second chemo on 10/30 and wound up in the hospital for 4 days with non-stop bloody diarrhea...under control now and having a colonoscopy on Monday just to rule out any other problems. But that's not my newest problem...it's the chemo "rash". It came back about a week after treatment and is on my face and all over my scalp. They are all sizes, some look like pimples, those are the very sore ones. Anybody have any suggestions on what to put on them? I know they eventually dry up but it's hard sleeping and head covers are kinda painful.

Help! Judy :-)

Judy .. Caladryl lotion worked for ..
    Be careful not to put too much around your eye lids, my my lids puffed up after a few day.

Hope this helps.

VickiSam
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    VickiSam said:

Judy .. Caladryl lotion worked for ..
    Be careful not to put too much around your eye lids, my my lids puffed up after a few day.

Hope this helps.

VickiSam

Thanks VickiSam!
    I'm sending my husband to the store right now! This was much faster than calling my onc! Yes, this is quite an adventure, I thought about all of you when I was in the hospital and wondered who else mite be there for the same reason too. It's good to have each other for support and friendship...

Hugs & Luv, Judy :-)
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Cat64 said:

Becky
    Cathy

It is for dry eyes
    It is for dry eyes...but it brings the ph balance back to normal. It will help clean out the eyes and they should feel better.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Cat
    I don't have the watery eyes, but, like tgf, my nose bleeds when I blow it.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    side effects, side effects
    You guys are making me reminise about the good old days -- I mean the bad old days. The nose thing: yes, I remember all my nose hairs falling out and having a runny nose all the time. My eyelashes actually fell out several weeks after chemo ended. They have since grown back, but they are not as long as they used to be. Ask your onc. about which drops to use. There has to be something out there that helps. Good luck to you all.

Mimi

PS. Judy, I have that same IKEA cat tent and a similar looking cat!