Eating Issues

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I wonder if I am unusual. I just cant eat much, I have finished the 4
ac and had one taxol. but have lots of GI issues constiaption/diahrea. lower body part problems and pain. I see the posting on recipes and I look forward to eating but cant imagine doing it now. I am worried sick about my nutrition, just started boost. but am I weird? I saw a GI doctor and he put me on a restricted diet, low residue non lactose which doent help getting things in. I had soem issues prior but this is extreme. I ate enough to be overweight.
mpw I keep losing. I just want to know what other people are like whaT is your baseline?

Comments

• scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    Eating Issues
    were a problem for me also. At the end of July I finished 4 AC and 3 Taxol treatments. During AC treatments I experienced severe nausea, could eat very little and lost a few pounds. Beginning with first Taxol treatment, I had constant abdominal pain behind my belly button. I did not do the final Taxol due to the side effects. The abdominal pain continued for 2 months after ending treatment. I had a colonoscopy which turned out fine. The pain is gone now. I too worried about nutrition but since I was nauseated the entire time I decided to eat whatever I could and not worry about that. Boost was my favorite supplement. Good luck to you, you are almost done!
  • carkris
    scout5000 said:

Eating Issues
    were a problem for me also. At the end of July I finished 4 AC and 3 Taxol treatments. During AC treatments I experienced severe nausea, could eat very little and lost a few pounds. Beginning with first Taxol treatment, I had constant abdominal pain behind my belly button. I did not do the final Taxol due to the side effects. The abdominal pain continued for 2 months after ending treatment. I had a colonoscopy which turned out fine. The pain is gone now. I too worried about nutrition but since I was nauseated the entire time I decided to eat whatever I could and not worry about that. Boost was my favorite supplement. Good luck to you, you are almost done!

I am on the once aweek
    I am on the once aweek taxol, I also got lots of pain on both sides of my lower abdomen and have weird diahrea. complicating this is I have a virus, no fever during day then 101 at nightjust for the evening. My daughter is sick too. I have lost 35 pounds, Never in my life has it been a struggle to eat, does anyone have a regime to keep then regular? thank you scout 5000.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    If you are worried about
    If you are worried about nutrition ask your doctor about it. Maybe you should also be taking a multi-vitamin. I was nauseated during chemo but gained 20 pounds because they told me to keep something in my stomach. Having a hard time losing it. Is the restricted diet helping with the GI issues? If not you should talk to him and make adjustments or some more tests. It could be Irritable Bowel. But there are tests they can run to rule out other things first.
  • carkris
    Marcia527 said:

If you are worried about
    If you are worried about nutrition ask your doctor about it. Maybe you should also be taking a multi-vitamin. I was nauseated during chemo but gained 20 pounds because they told me to keep something in my stomach. Having a hard time losing it. Is the restricted diet helping with the GI issues? If not you should talk to him and make adjustments or some more tests. It could be Irritable Bowel. But there are tests they can run to rule out other things first.

I dont really know if the
    I dont really know if the diet is helping and do wonder about the irritable bowel, I wax between the two one day its one thing the next its something else. The doc has run some bloodwork, and wants cultures. I dont think IVe been on the diet long enough. They insist that adraimycin does not cause diahrea but my LFTs went up and then down after treatment, I thick my body hates chemo. and the diahrea/constipation was on the same day after treatment every time. It scares me i could never drop weight like this before. did you FEEL like eating? or just made yourself? did you like big meals or small? did you need laxatives? sorry to be so nosy I just want to know if other people felt the same way?
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    carkris said:

I dont really know if the diet is helping and do wonder about the irritable bowel, I wax between the two one day its one thing the next its something else. The doc has run some bloodwork, and wants cultures. I dont think IVe been on the diet long enough. They insist that adraimycin does not cause diahrea but my LFTs went up and then down after treatment, I thick my body hates chemo. and the diahrea/constipation was on the same day after treatment every time. It scares me i could never drop weight like this before. did you FEEL like eating? or just made yourself? did you like big meals or small? did you need laxatives? sorry to be so nosy I just want to know if other people felt the same way?

I had weekly taxol
    I had weekly taxol treatments and i had stomach issues also, just like you described. I took stool soffteners, Senaca. My oncologist also prescribed prilosec which i still take daily. I could not eat any dairy and still can't. He also prescribed a drug called Bendryl. It helped a little, but i think the prilosec helped the most. At the time, my oncologist told me it is not from the chemo, but i see so may posts of woman who had the same problems. I could not eat everything i used to eat, Here are some things that worked for me, applesauce, oatmeal, chicken noodle soup, baby pastina (which is a type of pasta), green tea, peppermint tea, baked chicken, carrots, saltine crackers,. For 2 days, i just ate water ice, hey it was summer and i live in Philly. drink a lot of water, NO soda. Also drink apple juice, green tea, and try prune juice for the constipation. Hope this helps and know that you are not alone. take care
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    meena1 said:

I had weekly taxol
    I had weekly taxol treatments and i had stomach issues also, just like you described. I took stool soffteners, Senaca. My oncologist also prescribed prilosec which i still take daily. I could not eat any dairy and still can't. He also prescribed a drug called Bendryl. It helped a little, but i think the prilosec helped the most. At the time, my oncologist told me it is not from the chemo, but i see so may posts of woman who had the same problems. I could not eat everything i used to eat, Here are some things that worked for me, applesauce, oatmeal, chicken noodle soup, baby pastina (which is a type of pasta), green tea, peppermint tea, baked chicken, carrots, saltine crackers,. For 2 days, i just ate water ice, hey it was summer and i live in Philly. drink a lot of water, NO soda. Also drink apple juice, green tea, and try prune juice for the constipation. Hope this helps and know that you are not alone. take care

FEC X 3 then Tax X 3
    My stomach was very upset, taste buds nearly dead, tongue, toes and fingertips asleep..........It was HELL.
    But even tho I couldn't stand the taste or texture of any food I knew I had to eat something (even tho it all tasted like poison and felt like grit)................I survived on MILK and BEER..............I know it sounds trite, but MILK is food and beer was my pain-killer/sleeping tablet. I only lost 20 pounds during 7 months of treatment....Well, they said drink fluids! LOL
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    carkris said:

Not again!
    I had a good long reply to this post and it disappeared! Ugh! I'll try again......
    I have been battling this eating issue since my Chemo started. I first tried eating as I normally would. That didn't work-caused the "BigD" & the "BigC". I then tried the soft foods ie:applesauce,yogurt,cottage cheese,pudding,etc..then discovered that I am now more lactose intolerant than I was before. Tried baked potatoes,can't handle the butter. Suffered from Dry Mouth,sores on the outside of my mouth,and my taste buds died. This made it even more frustrating. The only thing I have been able to taste is coleslaw of all things! I have found that the only thing I can eat without any problems is soup-without the taste. I have tried Mexican food & sweet food with no success. It has become quite a challenge. You may want to try things you've never had before or even thought you would eat. Just to get something to "stick". I cannot afford to lose any more weight as I was only 110 when this all started and have dropped down to 105 so I know your concern. I went to a nutritionist and even though she does not agree with the liquid suuplements, suggested to drink 2 Boosts or even 3/day. The goal is to somehow get 3500 calories/day. It is better to eat in smaller portions. You are not being nosy, how else is there to learn other than asking questions? I hope you feel better real soon!
    Cathy
  • carkris
    Cat64 said:

Not again!
    I had a good long reply to this post and it disappeared! Ugh! I'll try again......
    I have been battling this eating issue since my Chemo started. I first tried eating as I normally would. That didn't work-caused the "BigD" & the "BigC". I then tried the soft foods ie:applesauce,yogurt,cottage cheese,pudding,etc..then discovered that I am now more lactose intolerant than I was before. Tried baked potatoes,can't handle the butter. Suffered from Dry Mouth,sores on the outside of my mouth,and my taste buds died. This made it even more frustrating. The only thing I have been able to taste is coleslaw of all things! I have found that the only thing I can eat without any problems is soup-without the taste. I have tried Mexican food & sweet food with no success. It has become quite a challenge. You may want to try things you've never had before or even thought you would eat. Just to get something to "stick". I cannot afford to lose any more weight as I was only 110 when this all started and have dropped down to 105 so I know your concern. I went to a nutritionist and even though she does not agree with the liquid suuplements, suggested to drink 2 Boosts or even 3/day. The goal is to somehow get 3500 calories/day. It is better to eat in smaller portions. You are not being nosy, how else is there to learn other than asking questions? I hope you feel better real soon!
    Cathy

THEY PUT ME ON LOW RESIDUE
    THEY PUT ME ON LOW RESIDUE LACTOSE FREE DIET FOR A MONTH. I prob do not ingest 1000 cals per day. I fortunately or unfortunately have weight to lose but only another 10 pds or besides this is not healthy. I am so tied to the BR I dont go out except to doc and then I do not eat or drink beforehand. I drive 90 minutes for treatment. not that i wish it on anyone i am just sick of being told i am unusual and i dont think i am. maybe more extreme than others. I also thinkits funny if you DONT get EXPECTED SIDEEFFEC T than thats ok. anyway thanks for responding. I feel so frustrated!!!!! you guys help
  • Marcia527
    carkris said:

carkris, I didn't feel like
    carkris, I didn't feel like eating. I was nauseous. But I ate because it did make my stomach feel better for a little while. You just eat small amounts. I didn't feel hunger or fullness. I can't remember about the laxatives but don't remember taking any. If anything I took Imodium but you should check with your doctor. I was diagnosed in 2003. I assumed you were done with chemo and into radiation by something you said so the chemo should be out of your system. Maybe I misunderstood.
  • carkris
    Marcia527 said:

carkris, I didn't feel like
    carkris, I didn't feel like eating. I was nauseous. But I ate because it did make my stomach feel better for a little while. You just eat small amounts. I didn't feel hunger or fullness. I can't remember about the laxatives but don't remember taking any. If anything I took Imodium but you should check with your doctor. I was diagnosed in 2003. I assumed you were done with chemo and into radiation by something you said so the chemo should be out of your system. Maybe I misunderstood.

I just started taxol. I'm
    I just started taxol. I'm hoping it will be better than AC. I just dont like to eat now esp when I dont feel good. But I do just not much. I have to laugh as eating was never problem. i did take 1/2 dose immodium when the dihrea got to be too much. I think I am very sensative to meds. I think everyone is individual.
    I think I was unrealistic I thought i would feel crummy the feel a little better then crummy again. I just have very few good days and I really think it wouldnt have been that way if not for the bowels. so I keep trying to figure out what I am missing. body on chemo is a mystery to me!!!!! Plus I do worry about the nutrition. I think I will add the vitamins and try more boost. and thanks for replying guys, sometimes its nice to know you arent alone!
  • Marcia527
    carkris said:

I just started taxol. I'm
    I just started taxol. I'm hoping it will be better than AC. I just dont like to eat now esp when I dont feel good. But I do just not much. I have to laugh as eating was never problem. i did take 1/2 dose immodium when the dihrea got to be too much. I think I am very sensative to meds. I think everyone is individual.
    I think I was unrealistic I thought i would feel crummy the feel a little better then crummy again. I just have very few good days and I really think it wouldnt have been that way if not for the bowels. so I keep trying to figure out what I am missing. body on chemo is a mystery to me!!!!! Plus I do worry about the nutrition. I think I will add the vitamins and try more boost. and thanks for replying guys, sometimes its nice to know you arent alone!

If you just started Taxol
    If you just started Taxol then you should check with your oncologist first about the vitamins. Mine didn't want me on them during chemo. Ask him what you can do about your problems. Sometimes the nurses have suggestions also. They deal more directly with you when getting chemo and hear a lot more. Lots of people will tell more to the nurse than the doctor.