metastasized????

tamithurman
tamithurman Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a mastectomy two years ago, stage 2B, no lymph node involvement. I've been taking Tamoxifen, a horrible drug and I stopped it for a couple of months because it makes me feel horrible. For the past couple of months, I have noticed some pale blood on the tissue after urination. Sometimes tea-colored, sometimes rosey, but infrequent. Urinalysis found no blood, but high white blood cell count and no infection. After a CT scan, the urologist sees nothing to indicate why I am bleeding but said the radiologist is suggesting I get an MRI because he sees two "lesions" that weren't in my February CT scan. Freaking out. Can metastasized breast cancer cause blood in urine? No one is doing anything in any sort of hurry, that's for sure and I'm left to worry about it. Does anyone know about this? Thanks if you do.

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    I am sorry, but, I don't
    I am sorry, but, I don't know. When do you see your doctor again? I will certainly pray for you!

Leeza
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Tamoxifen
    Hi Tamithurman,

I have never heard of mets causing blood in urine, but I do know that tamoxifen can cause problems in the uterus - not mets, though. Could that be the source of the blood? I hope you don't have to wait too long for answers! Let us know - this is a very caring group of women who understand what you are going through.

Hugs,

Fran
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I was on Tamoxifen for 9
    I was on Tamoxifen for 9 months and started spotting. The oncologist did a blood test to make sure I was in menopause and then sent me to a GYN. She did a pap and biopsy and I ended up with a D&C. It wasn't cancer but polyps. I'm not saying that's what your problem is. Just what happened to me.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Tamoxifen can cause uterine
    Tamoxifen can cause uterine cancer but very rarely. Thats why they always tell you to report any vaginal bleeding to your doc immediately. Maybe what you're seeing is vaginal and not urinary bleeding.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    I know tamoxifen
    can cause uterine problems, but very rarely. Are you post-menapausal yet? After being off the tamoxifen for awhile may be causing strange stuff to happen. Ask your Dr. lots of questions - keep asking!!!! I know I bugged mine with alot of questions but I didn't give up until he'd talk to me.
    Try not to be too upset - I know, easier said than done but the waiting is always the worst part. Take care and keep up posted!
    -Jenny
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Blood in urine can be a
    Blood in urine can be a result from infection (most common), but can sometimes be a symptom of bladder or kidney cancer. There are also other causes of hematuria (blood in urine) besides cancer. If you google "causes of hematuria", you can check them out. The most common places breast cancer spreads is bone, lung, liver and brain, but cancer can spread anywhere. If the bleeding is vaginal, an endometrial biopsy is indicated as tamoxifen can increase your risk of uterine cancer. I had many endometrial biopsies (because of irregular vaginal bleeding and because I was on tamoxifen)and all were negative. Hope this helps. I am praying for you.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Blood in urine can be a
    Blood in urine can be a result from infection (most common), but can sometimes be a symptom of bladder or kidney cancer. There are also other causes of hematuria (blood in urine) besides cancer. If you google "causes of hematuria", you can check them out. The most common places breast cancer spreads is bone, lung, liver and brain, but cancer can spread anywhere. If the bleeding is vaginal, an endometrial biopsy is indicated as tamoxifen can increase your risk of uterine cancer. I had many endometrial biopsies (because of irregular vaginal bleeding and because I was on tamoxifen)and all were negative. Hope this helps. I am praying for you.

Just want to say good luck.
    Just want to say good luck. Please call your doctor as soon as possible. This shouldn't wait.

Sue :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Ritzy said:

Just want to say good luck.
    Just want to say good luck. Please call your doctor as soon as possible. This shouldn't wait.

Sue :)

If it is vaginal
    maybe because you stopped taking Tamoxifen. Maybe it is your first period after induced menopause.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

If it is vaginal
    maybe because you stopped taking Tamoxifen. Maybe it is your first period after induced menopause.

No, I don't know either.
    No, I don't know either. Tamox can make you have bleeding, but, you are suppose to call your doctor immediately if you do.

Let us know.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Blood in urine can be a

Usually blood means an
    Usually blood means an infection of some kind, doesn't it? Please call your doctor and tell them about this and update us on you. Praying that it is something simple.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Scary for sure!
    Tami, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I really don't much about Tamoxifen as I was only on it for 5 months when I had a recurrence, however my sister was on it for 5 years and hated going off of it so go figure. I guess the drug reacts different for each person. You will be in my prayers, please do your best to keep busy and do some uplifting things to keep your mind and body busy and as joyful and it can during such a stressful time. Sending cyber hugs!

RE
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Tami, just wanted to welcome
    Tami, just wanted to welcome you. I, too, am sending positive vibes your way for a resolution to your problem. We're here for you every step of ther way. Let us know how you are doing. Take care and try not to worry.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    RE said:

Scary for sure!
    Tami, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I really don't much about Tamoxifen as I was only on it for 5 months when I had a recurrence, however my sister was on it for 5 years and hated going off of it so go figure. I guess the drug reacts different for each person. You will be in my prayers, please do your best to keep busy and do some uplifting things to keep your mind and body busy and as joyful and it can during such a stressful time. Sending cyber hugs!

RE

I am sorry Tami. I am
    I am sorry Tami. I am sending you big cyber hugs! And, I will pray that you will be ok.

Angie
  • membermeg
    membermeg Member Posts: 25
    ???
    I honestly think these 2 things are not related. The blood in the urine could be God send that you had further testing that led to the finding of the 2 lesions. I would want the tests done asap just because if they are lesions then they can get them treated. I would not let them waste time. It is in your best interest to determine what if these lesions are benign or not. I will pray for you and hope that everything turns our for the best
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    So sorry
    I know the waiting and worrying is just so awful.

I don't have any answers for you but wanted to let you know that I will be praying that you get answers quickly and that it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

My uncle and mom both keep having to remind me to "wait to worry". It's much easier said than done!

Take care,
    Cindy