Can my hair be growing back?

natly15
natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My hair fell out around the 14th day after my first chemo. I did not shave my head, and had some peach fuzz remaining. Had 2nd chemo 10/27. It appears that some of that fuzz is growing a bit longer. Is this possible or am I hallucinating?

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Natly .. I am in the same boat ..
    I too cut my hair, buzzed it to the scalp .. twice .. Last time Oct. 15th. I have dark brown stubble and longer peach fuzz on about 90% of my scalp. My oncologist and Onc nurse told me weeks ago .. not to get excited because more than likely it will fall off after my 3rd TCH/Herc/Herc/ cycle.

Let me tell you that my longest hair (several blond and gray) are at 3/4" in length and my stubble is fully grown in, not at 100% scalp coverage, but over 90% of my scalp. I went out and purchased several baby 'velcro bows' and just to make my point again, I will be putting these velcro bows in my hair within the next 2 weeks and sporting the bows for my onc nurse and oncologist to see. I just hate hearing from them -- 'according to our clinical trails' regrowth at this point of your chemo treatments is impossible .. So just to be a bit.h, I am going to sport my baby bows showing off my new hair growth. I want to see their mouths drop ... Just going to prove my point, again .. that I am not your typical clinical trail - patient.

Please note that I am still shaving underarms, legs .. and I have NOT lost any private area hair ..

VickiSam
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    VickiSam said:

I too cut my hair, buzzed it to the scalp .. twice .. Last time Oct. 15th. I have dark brown stubble and longer peach fuzz on about 90% of my scalp. My oncologist and Onc nurse told me weeks ago .. not to get excited because more than likely it will fall off after my 3rd TCH/Herc/Herc/ cycle.

Let me tell you that my longest hair (several blond and gray) are at 3/4" in length and my stubble is fully grown in, not at 100% scalp coverage, but over 90% of my scalp. I went out and purchased several baby 'velcro bows' and just to make my point again, I will be putting these velcro bows in my hair within the next 2 weeks and sporting the bows for my onc nurse and oncologist to see. I just hate hearing from them -- 'according to our clinical trails' regrowth at this point of your chemo treatments is impossible .. So just to be a bit.h, I am going to sport my baby bows showing off my new hair growth. I want to see their mouths drop ... Just going to prove my point, again .. that I am not your typical clinical trail - patient.

Please note that I am still shaving underarms, legs .. and I have NOT lost any private area hair ..

VickiSam

Oddly enough, I had ONE hair
    Oddly enough, I had ONE hair that grew out to like 2 inches while the rest was falling out.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    My hair was soooooo stubborn!!!
    It grew back after each fallout, each infusion, to about 1/4 inch....

So, no, you are correct...the only thing that I used was Mary Kay night cream (fondly called 'axle grease' by MK people) for the itch...

Hugs, Kathi
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Me, too
    Hey, Cousin Natly -

I don't remember which chemo cocktail you're doing -- I did 4 rounds of Cytoxan/Taxotere, and my hair started growing sometime after the 3rd infusion.

I never thought of trying to put pretty bows in it like VickiSam -- though some friends suggested (as a joke) that I would look lovely in one of those lacy headbands you put on baby girls' heads!

:-) Traci
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    VickiSam said:

VickiSam

btch
    why would you be a btch???????? all the people around me are so nice, life is too short to be a btch...vikki
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    dont know
    i dont know bout this guess it does affect people differently.. i had my first treatment in april 2009 lost my hair in handfuls!! i buzzed it just as close as i could and when i took my 2nd one it was all but bald!! i am now done with my treatments and its coming back now.. so i guess it all depends on the meds you are given and effects each of us in its own way.. good luck to you hopefully you want loose it....
    brenda

HUGGGGGGSSS!!!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    VickiSam said:

VickiSam

VIVKI......NATLY
    I LOVE the velcro bow idea!!!! And I dont'think it's b---hy at all! EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT as far as reactions to chemo. YOU GO GIRL! I'm going to get myself some! My hair had no regrowth during chemo....I had Taxotere and Cytoxan....I finished in late Aug.....my hair is now about a 1/2 inch.....What has surprised me the most is the COLOR! It's salt and pepper....and I had very, very, little salt before! IT's kind of exciting to see what it will end up looking like.......BUT.........I have noticed facial hair that I NEVER had before..Anyone else experiencing this?

Keep us posted to their reaction to the hair and bows!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    TraciInLA said:

Me, too
    Hey, Cousin Natly -

I don't remember which chemo cocktail you're doing -- I did 4 rounds of Cytoxan/Taxotere, and my hair started growing sometime after the 3rd infusion.

I never thought of trying to put pretty bows in it like VickiSam -- though some friends suggested (as a joke) that I would look lovely in one of those lacy headbands you put on baby girls' heads!

:-) Traci

To all You Ladies
    So happy to know I'm not hallucinating. Cousin Traciln I'm taking that mean cocktail A/C. Vicki I love your velcro idea--thats not being a b--tch. It should give you great pleasure to wear those pretty bows and prove your point to all those experts. Post a photo of those pretty bows. I was a dark blonde until this chemo started, well visually it was blonde. I never gave meself the chance to really see the real color which I'm convinced was/is totally Salt. I also had to shave my legs yesterday. The most southern areas have also stopped shedding. My head looks very white. I wonder if there is any chance that my hair would grow back the same blonde that blew away with the wind a few weeks ago. Probably not, that is a real hallucination. Some day I'll have to become friends again with Miss Clairol.