Deodorant or anti persperant suggestions?

natly15
natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a large scar under my arm where lymph nodes were removed. Had my last surgery in August, and have not worn any deodorant or anti persperant under this arm. I'm currently on antibiotics for an infection at the surgical site which developed after the 2nd surgery. I wear an anti persperant under the other arm, but wonder if there is anything gentle I can use.

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    I really don't know Natly.
    I really don't know Natly. When I took radiation treatments, they said I could only use a non-aluminum deodorant. It was called Tom's from Maine. But, I didn't need it for long because my sweat glands got zapped out, so, I don't sweat under my arm anymore.

Best to call your doctor and ask them. I am sure they will know.

I love that picture of you and your grandbaby. You look so happy and so pretty!

Sue :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Ritzy said:

I really don't know Natly.
    I really don't know Natly. When I took radiation treatments, they said I could only use a non-aluminum deodorant. It was called Tom's from Maine. But, I didn't need it for long because my sweat glands got zapped out, so, I don't sweat under my arm anymore.

Best to call your doctor and ask them. I am sure they will know.

I love that picture of you and your grandbaby. You look so happy and so pretty!

Sue :)

Natly
    Are you sure that you need to use one? Since my lymph node were removed my body does not produce any sweat and odor under armpit at the surgical site. And yes radiation completely killed those glads which were functional after the surgery.
    Ask your doctor what to use.
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Nature's Gate makes a
    natural brand deodorant that can be found at many natural food stores and also on-line shops. Comes in a number of scents. My daughter got me started on them about a year ago (probably many years too late!) It has no aluminum. I like the Persimmon and Rose Geranium. It's very gentle. Lola
  • cvolk821
    cvolk821 Member Posts: 36
    Deodorant vs. Anti Persperant
    Burt's Bees makes a natural deodorant from herbs which is very gentle. It comes in a little pump bottle, and you must remember to shake it really well before each use or when you get to the bottom you smell like turkey stuffing (sage) when you heat up. (How very seasonal) It's available at Target - you could bring a bottle in when you see your doctor and ask him about it.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    cvolk821 said:

Deodorant vs. Anti Persperant
    Burt's Bees makes a natural deodorant from herbs which is very gentle. It comes in a little pump bottle, and you must remember to shake it really well before each use or when you get to the bottom you smell like turkey stuffing (sage) when you heat up. (How very seasonal) It's available at Target - you could bring a bottle in when you see your doctor and ask him about it.

CRYSTAL
    Crystal Body Deodorant. No Aluminium Chlorohydrate. Hypoallergenic. Fragrance and Paraben free. Endorsed by Cancer Treatment Centres. It works great and doesn't sting. I only bought it because I noticed the pink ribbom sign on top and that it was a sprat on (was too sore to use roll-on)
    Hope this helps. They have a wbsite.:

www.thecrystal.com

Jxxx
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    NATLY..
    My radiation oncologist's office gave me ALRA a non-metallic deodorant......They supplied everything like that for me.......But I found that during the radiation, I didn't need anything under that arm. If you have an infection, I wouldn't use anything right now. I was told that after my lumpectomy in May....because it could cause an infection.

Best wishes....
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    MAJW said:

NATLY..
    My radiation oncologist's office gave me ALRA a non-metallic deodorant......They supplied everything like that for me.......But I found that during the radiation, I didn't need anything under that arm. If you have an infection, I wouldn't use anything right now. I was told that after my lumpectomy in May....because it could cause an infection.

Best wishes....

After rads, you don't need
    After rads, you don't need anything. But, if you have an infection, you might not want to use anything either. Call your doctor and find out first. Good luck!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

After rads, you don't need
    After rads, you don't need anything. But, if you have an infection, you might not want to use anything either. Call your doctor and find out first. Good luck!

Talk to your doc
    You should probably call or go see your doctor Natly before you put anything on if you have an infection. Good luck and let us know.

KYLEZ ♥
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Kylez said:

Talk to your doc
    You should probably call or go see your doctor Natly before you put anything on if you have an infection. Good luck and let us know.

KYLEZ ♥

Thank you ladies for all
    Thank you ladies for all your good suggestions. I find that I do need it right now. I'll check with my onc and see what he has to say. My radiation is way down the road. I have at least 6 more chemo treatments. Thanks Again!
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    I use deodorant from the
    I use deodorant from the natural foods store--have for my entire adult life, due to allergies.
    But once rads started, I was not allowed to use anything. As soon as the rads were over, I went back to the natural stuff. I might have gotten by with using it during rads, but I just did not want to take a chance on any type of problem.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    natly15 said:

Thank you ladies for all
    Thank you ladies for all your good suggestions. I find that I do need it right now. I'll check with my onc and see what he has to say. My radiation is way down the road. I have at least 6 more chemo treatments. Thanks Again!

Glad you don't need it now
    Glad you don't need it now Natly. I don't have sweat glands where I got rads, so, I don't need any on that side, and, I don't sweat much anyway. Ask your oncologist.

Leeza
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    There is a deodorant that is
    There is a deodorant that is simple just salt rock. All natural. The name is Crystal.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    non-aluminum
    non-aluminum deodorant.. you can purchase it in a spray bottle or roll on at GNC... but I would wait till after that infection clears up.. you don't want to make the infection worse
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    natly15 said:

Thank you ladies for all

Check with your doctor....
    If you have an infection at the surgical site under that arm, your doc most likely will tell you to avoid using anything in that area. I was told I could use baking soda over my inscision, but I did not have an infection. After I healed, I used Chrystal (found at CVS) with the pink ribbon on the bottle (the one Tasha mentioned). I did stop sweating shortly into Rads and found that I did not need anything. Was hoping to be like others and kill the sweat glands. Here I am 2 months post Rads and all these hot flashes (tropical vacations!) are making me sweat. I'm back to using the Chrystal Deoderant. It works very well! At least no one has complained to me! Although they may be scared to because my head can start spinning around at the drop of a hat and pretty soon we'll probably encounter the green stuff! LOL Pammy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Probably best to call your
    Probably best to call your doctor Natly. You should never do anything just because you read it, even on here. Your doctor knows you the best. And, if you have an infection, he will probably tell you nothing until it clears up. Good luck to you Natly!

I don't sweat under my one arm as I have no sweat glands there because of rads. YEA!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    natly15 said:

Thank you ladies for all

Let us know what your
    Let us know what your oncologist says Natly.

HUGS
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Sweat Glands.....
    My armpit was NOT radiated..very close though....Although I did not sweat during treatment, less than a week after I completed treatment, I started to perspire again.. EVERYONE is different though.......Now I am back to using my regular Secret.......
    Best wishes