taleena ??

jennytwist
jennytwist Member Posts: 896
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi taleena,
Thanks for your info on the "CYP2D6" test. Since you were a "poor" metabolizer, did they give you any other options? Just wondering? I know it matters if your pre or post menopausal ?? The chemo put me into menopause so I'm not sure what I am. I believe they still wait a year before they change you from tamoxifen to the other for medication if you are post meno. ??
thanks again-
Jenny

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Hi Jenny... sorry for the
    Hi Jenny... sorry for the slow response ... still not quite back up to speed after finishing rads.....

Yes, I am a poor metabolizer, I am also pre menopausal, my tumor was extremely hormone receptor positive, something like 95% for both... so they want to force me into menopause... they will do this using a chemo medication called "Zoladex" it is a small capsule type injection that they put under the skin of my stomach that will self release over 30 days to seize my ovaries... I will have to have this injection every 30 days for a while, (I think a year) then it will go to every three months... then instead of the Tamoxifine they will give me Femara...which is usually used for post menopausal women...the other option was to have a complete hysterectomy with ovary removal... I am just not sure I'm ready for that evasive of a proceedure...

I have done lots of research on this... there aren't many people who end up in this position... only 5-7% of people actually can't metabolize Tamoxifine... I hope your not in that group with me....as with all medications there are side effects... it's just a matter of how bad they are for me personally... I will give it a shot... if it gets too bad I always have the surgical option.

Wishing you the best!

hugs,
    ~T
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    taleena said:

Hi Jenny... sorry for the
    Hi Jenny... sorry for the slow response ... still not quite back up to speed after finishing rads.....

Yes, I am a poor metabolizer, I am also pre menopausal, my tumor was extremely hormone receptor positive, something like 95% for both... so they want to force me into menopause... they will do this using a chemo medication called "Zoladex" it is a small capsule type injection that they put under the skin of my stomach that will self release over 30 days to seize my ovaries... I will have to have this injection every 30 days for a while, (I think a year) then it will go to every three months... then instead of the Tamoxifine they will give me Femara...which is usually used for post menopausal women...the other option was to have a complete hysterectomy with ovary removal... I am just not sure I'm ready for that evasive of a proceedure...

I have done lots of research on this... there aren't many people who end up in this position... only 5-7% of people actually can't metabolize Tamoxifine... I hope your not in that group with me....as with all medications there are side effects... it's just a matter of how bad they are for me personally... I will give it a shot... if it gets too bad I always have the surgical option.

Wishing you the best!

hugs,
    ~T

Thanks!
    Taleena,
    Thanks for your info. I know my onc mentioned something about this very vaguely as an option but didn't want to go that way with me.
    When do you start this procedure? I didn't have rads so I'm not sure how long that recovery time is. Are you done with them now?
    The chemo actually put me into menopause and as I'm 55 (a late bloomer I guess for not starting it yet - the Dr said). Anyway, I was thinking since I was in menopause right now I could opt for the other med they give. Armidex ?? spelled?
    Again, thanks for your info - it's been great to talk with someone who's had the test - hope all goes well for you.

much love,
    -Jenny