Caling all adriamycin gals....

2»

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Sending Best Wishes and Hopes for Good Heart Health
    Kathi, after all you went through earlier this year, you and Hans, you are way overdue for good luck! I will be thinking of you and hoping for good test results.

Thank you for sharing, as you always have, so that others can benefit from your experiences. My second opinion onc. did tell me I would need to be monitored by a cardiologist familiar with chemo-related heart issues. I have been too distracted and busy with work and just getting my stamina up to even think about yet another round of testing.

Please keep us updated as you can. I always enjoy your vacation posts and pics and informative posts even though I may not post myself.

Kathi
    You are one of our

Kathi
    You are one of our true angels. My prayers are that this is stress related (with all you have had going on that wouldn't be surprising). And you are indeed one of the best guides to the newbies and to all of us. You have had much on your plate and I hope that this will not be something new to deal with because gosh knows enough is enough. Positive thoughts and hugs are beaming your way. I have always admired your strength and your support for all of us.
    Stef
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    fauxma said:

Kathi
    You are one of our

Kathi
    You are one of our true angels. My prayers are that this is stress related (with all you have had going on that wouldn't be surprising). And you are indeed one of the best guides to the newbies and to all of us. You have had much on your plate and I hope that this will not be something new to deal with because gosh knows enough is enough. Positive thoughts and hugs are beaming your way. I have always admired your strength and your support for all of us.
    Stef

Kathi
    Kathi,
    I had an echocardiogram before I started A/C and then one after I finished A/C and then another after I finished Taxol w/Herceptin and I developed chemo induce cardiomyopathy so they gave me echos every three weeks until my ejection fraction was back to normal. Now that my ejection fraction is 60% my oncologist will have me have an echo every three months unless something comes up and then she will do one sooner.

Margo
  • BELIEVEx3
    BELIEVEx3 Member Posts: 24

Kathi
    Kathi,
    I had an echocardiogram before I started A/C and then one after I finished A/C and then another after I finished Taxol w/Herceptin and I developed chemo induce cardiomyopathy so they gave me echos every three weeks until my ejection fraction was back to normal. Now that my ejection fraction is 60% my oncologist will have me have an echo every three months unless something comes up and then she will do one sooner.

Margo

PLEASE
    ALL of us should have a baseline cardiac evaluation. You are never too young to have cardiac problems regardless of cancer treatment!
    As I have posted previously, listen to your body and report nagging symptoms no matter how seemingly benign. Cardiac symptoms can be subtle discomfort between the shoulders, arm heaviness, jaw pain, shortness of breath, nausea, increased fatigue, and may not be mid-sternal crushing chest pain. Physicians often dismiss these symptoms and blame it on stress especially the stress of a cancer diagnosis. Coronary artery disease and cardiomyopathy can come early or late. It is essential to have an annual cardiac evaluation from a cardiologist as a part of your long term follow-up.
    I had some of the above symptoms, was told I was too young, too fit and not at risk. MY TREATMENT placed me at risk. and not until my heart attack did anyone listen. We are teaching our physicians as we go along on this journey........and we must inform one another so that we can be our own best advocate. And the heart can be as insidious as cancer.......GET CHECKED EVERYONE! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
    (I also speak as a cardiac nurse)
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    BELIEVEx3 said:

PLEASE
    ALL of us should have a baseline cardiac evaluation. You are never too young to have cardiac problems regardless of cancer treatment!
    As I have posted previously, listen to your body and report nagging symptoms no matter how seemingly benign. Cardiac symptoms can be subtle discomfort between the shoulders, arm heaviness, jaw pain, shortness of breath, nausea, increased fatigue, and may not be mid-sternal crushing chest pain. Physicians often dismiss these symptoms and blame it on stress especially the stress of a cancer diagnosis. Coronary artery disease and cardiomyopathy can come early or late. It is essential to have an annual cardiac evaluation from a cardiologist as a part of your long term follow-up.
    I had some of the above symptoms, was told I was too young, too fit and not at risk. MY TREATMENT placed me at risk. and not until my heart attack did anyone listen. We are teaching our physicians as we go along on this journey........and we must inform one another so that we can be our own best advocate. And the heart can be as insidious as cancer.......GET CHECKED EVERYONE! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Call to Action
    One of the reasons I love this site. Thanks for the well-written "call to action." I will be sure to talk to my oncologist at my 3 month checkup in a couple of weeks. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Sending Best Wishes and Hopes for Good Heart Health
    Kathi, after all you went through earlier this year, you and Hans, you are way overdue for good luck! I will be thinking of you and hoping for good test results.

Thank you for sharing, as you always have, so that others can benefit from your experiences. My second opinion onc. did tell me I would need to be monitored by a cardiologist familiar with chemo-related heart issues. I have been too distracted and busy with work and just getting my stamina up to even think about yet another round of testing.

Please keep us updated as you can. I always enjoy your vacation posts and pics and informative posts even though I may not post myself.

Thank you, my friend Moopy!
    I'm keeping the faith that it is nothing, but I won't make the mistake I made the last time, with cancer, of just laughing the whole thing off....

And thank you for the supportive words about my posts...I hope to be able to go more places so I can post from there, too!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    fauxma said:

Kathi
    You are one of our

Kathi
    Stef

Thank you, dear Stef!
    I sometimes lose my footing, but I always find my way back to you all!

I, too, hope this is nothing a good cruise can't fix...lol...

And thank you for your warm encouraging words!
    Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM

Kathi
    Kathi,

Margo

Smart lady, Margo!
    WOW! I can't tell you I was the same, because it's 4 years later...but I sure hope we can clear it now....having just gone thru the cardiac mess with Hans...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    BELIEVEx3 said:

PLEASE

Thank you, believe, for the info....
    I know that many women are misdiagnosed with heart attacks because the symptoms are different. That is why I'm not messing with this....let the cardiologist tell me I'm just a bit too cautious!!! ROFL!

I hope everything is smooth sailing for you now....thank you for sharing!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    lynn1950 said:

Call to Action
    One of the reasons I love this site. Thanks for the well-written "call to action." I will be sure to talk to my oncologist at my 3 month checkup in a couple of weeks. xoxoxoxo Lynn

I agree, Lynn!!!
    It's one of the best sources for information around!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    KathiM said:

Thank you, my friend Moopy!
    I'm keeping the faith that it is nothing, but I won't make the mistake I made the last time, with cancer, of just laughing the whole thing off....

And thank you for the supportive words about my posts...I hope to be able to go more places so I can post from there, too!

Hugs, Kathi

Hi Kathi, Wow, I have had 3
    Hi Kathi, Wow, I have had 3 echo's so far. One before starting treatment. Another before starting Taxol & Herceptin and another just a few weeks ago. It was my understanding that the heart must be watched and anyone on herceptin it must be watched often.
  • KathiM
    Kat11 said:

Hi Kathi, Wow, I have had 3
    Hi Kathi, Wow, I have had 3 echo's so far. One before starting treatment. Another before starting Taxol & Herceptin and another just a few weeks ago. It was my understanding that the heart must be watched and anyone on herceptin it must be watched often.

That sounds more like what my cardiologist said....
    ...and he was even more irritated when I told him that I couldn't have my 4th AC because I was having irregular heartbeats, etc...

Especially after my first chemo round for the rectal cancer with cisplatin...also known for stressing the heart...

I will keep you posted, maybe all it will take is a bit of babying... with baby aspirin...ROFL!

Hugs, Kathi
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    KathiM said:

That sounds more like what my cardiologist said....
    ...and he was even more irritated when I told him that I couldn't have my 4th AC because I was having irregular heartbeats, etc...

Especially after my first chemo round for the rectal cancer with cisplatin...also known for stressing the heart...

I will keep you posted, maybe all it will take is a bit of babying... with baby aspirin...ROFL!

Hugs, Kathi

Eco and MUGA
    Hi Kathi,
    I had a MUGA before I started on the A/C - an eco after, as I ended up in the hospital with a totally different issue after my first round on taxol. (nothing to do with heart problems) No tests when I was done with chemo however. It's amazing to me how many different protocols there are when we all have a similar disease.
    take care and keep us posted -
    -Jenny