has anyone gone back on folfiri after a year off?

jillpls
jillpls Member Posts: 238
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HI, I was on folfiri with Avastin for 12 cycles in 2008. Went off for about a year and now showing signs of more growth. so onc wanted me to go into a clinical trial only insurance has denied it. It's in appeal now. If I can't go into the trial I'm thinking of asking to go back on folfiri with Avastin. Has anyone gone back on standard treatment? Last time it put me into (or close to) NED for a year. Thanks to everyone here. You are all so positive and informative. God bless each and every one.
JIll

Comments

• robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Hi Jill - Nice Board!
    I was put on a program of xeloda, irinotecan, and avastin 2-years after having been on FOLFIRI. I'm not sure what criterea they use to determine when it is worthwhile to go back on a drug. I think there are people here on long-term programs of xeloda (which is an oral from of 5FU)

Have you had your KRAS tested to see if Erbitux is an option.

There should be some good 2nd line options for you Jill. You haven't had Oxaliplatin yet? Xeloda?

Do ask your Onc and get a second opinion.

TTFN... Rob; in Vancouver
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    yes
    Hi Jill,

I am on Folfiri for the second time now. I am going to be changing to another treatment soon (my choice- I'm going to Dr. Cantrell in Nashville for his lovastatin/interferon treatment, but that's another conversation). Anyhow, yes, I've done Folfiri twice. The time in between was just four months because I had a recurrence when I went off it (I was on Avastin and Xeloda during that time) & once I went back to the full Folfiri again, a lot of what had started up growing again started shrinking (liver met went away, but lung mets remained stable).
    Best wishes to you with deciding what to do. I'd never want to go on Folfox w/ the oxalyplatin a second time, but there's not the toxicity issues with the irinotecan from the Folfiri.

Take care,
    Lisa
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    good information
    thank you for both your inputs. They are always helpful. I was on folfox first, clear for a year, then on folfiri for 12 cycles. Went on Xeloda and Avastin for about 10 months until stuff started to grow. Now waiting for consent from ins for clinical trial. If I don't get consent I'm looking at going back on folfiri with Avastin. I really am interested in the procedure/health plan with Dr Cantrell (sp?). It looks very promising so please post. PS I do have the Kras mutation...bummer.

JIll in CA
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    jillpls said:

good information
    thank you for both your inputs. They are always helpful. I was on folfox first, clear for a year, then on folfiri for 12 cycles. Went on Xeloda and Avastin for about 10 months until stuff started to grow. Now waiting for consent from ins for clinical trial. If I don't get consent I'm looking at going back on folfiri with Avastin. I really am interested in the procedure/health plan with Dr Cantrell (sp?). It looks very promising so please post. PS I do have the Kras mutation...bummer.

JIll in CA

so much the same
    Jill,

I hadn't realized our situations were so similar (except my times in between needing chemo were much shorter) I also have the kras mutation. I went the same pattern as you- Folfox- clear for 5 months- Folfiri- then clear for 4 months-Avastin and Xeloda for 4 months- recurrence, so then Folfiri again.
    I will definitely keep you posted on Dr. Cantrell- it's still close to a month away.
    DAN R has an appt on Nov 11th- hopefully we'll hear something from him about his appt.

Take care-
    Lisa