Caling all adriamycin gals....

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just saw a cardiologist yesterday for increasing palpitations and heart troubles...sigh...

He said "So, how often did you have an echo cardiogram during the period you were infused with adriamycin?" He was horrified with my answer "None". "They should have been monitoring better", he said. (I LOVE this man, very reserved, but has become a good friend during my beau's treatment).

I will now (4 years later) have an echo, a holter monitor, a stress test, and a corrotid artery scan.

We are hoping for the best here, that it is old injury and not a decline. I'm also older now...of course, my beau says "You know, you don't need to do EVERYTHING just like me!" (His cardiac failure journey started when he was 55....) ROFL!

The moral of the story: Make sure your treatment team is monitoring your heart!

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    They only checked my heart
    They only checked my heart before treatment began. Haven't had anything since. Now they don't run tests unless I'm having a problem. So sorry you have this problem but it's good they are keeping an eye on it. Hugs.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Kathi, I am so sorry to hear
    Kathi, I am so sorry to hear about this. It is my understanding that when administering adriamycin it is necessary to monitor your heart. I was given an echo and also an ekg before starting the drug, and then another one after completion. When my one year anniversary came around, my onc ordered a complete battery of tests, including the same...echo and ekg. Guess this is something necessary because of the drug itself. Good luck on your tests, and let us know the outcome. You have always been such a great support for me, as well as all others on the site, and we are here for you as well. Hugs,

Judy
  • KathiM
    Marcia527 said:

They only checked my heart
    They only checked my heart before treatment began. Haven't had anything since. Now they don't run tests unless I'm having a problem. So sorry you have this problem but it's good they are keeping an eye on it. Hugs.

I agree....
    And, no one disagrees with me that I had a fairly awful oncologist. Bless the insurance system...lol...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM

Kathi, I am so sorry to hear
    Kathi, I am so sorry to hear about this. It is my understanding that when administering adriamycin it is necessary to monitor your heart. I was given an echo and also an ekg before starting the drug, and then another one after completion. When my one year anniversary came around, my onc ordered a complete battery of tests, including the same...echo and ekg. Guess this is something necessary because of the drug itself. Good luck on your tests, and let us know the outcome. You have always been such a great support for me, as well as all others on the site, and we are here for you as well. Hugs,

Judy

Hugs back to you, Judy!
    Thank you for your kind words!

I have been 'behind the scenes' lurking for awhile...so much going on with my life with managing 2 houses, in 2 countries...and my health, and my beau's health...lol...

I'm glad that the 'greater' oncology community takes better care of their patients...I'm trying hard not to complain...I am, after all, alive and kicking!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    KathiM said:

I agree....
    And, no one disagrees with me that I had a fairly awful oncologist. Bless the insurance system...lol...

Hugs, Kathi

I didn't know anything when
    I didn't know anything when going through treatment. It would have helped if I had known about this message board. Some doctors don't like it when we self-diagnose and look for answers but hey if they aren't doing their job who is going to look after us? I had treatment in 2003/2004 so I guess if there were something wrong with my heart it would have shown up by now?
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I was tested before
    I was tested before treatment but not during or after. My onc is wonderful though, and my initial test showed my heart to be "the most perfect example of a normal heart" the technician had ever seen! In fact she said it was georgous!! So perhaps he felt further testing was not necessary. My pcp did an ekg as part of a physical last year though because there is a lot of heart disease in my family----it was perfectly fine.:)
  • KathiM
    Eil4186 said:

I was tested before
    I was tested before treatment but not during or after. My onc is wonderful though, and my initial test showed my heart to be "the most perfect example of a normal heart" the technician had ever seen! In fact she said it was georgous!! So perhaps he felt further testing was not necessary. My pcp did an ekg as part of a physical last year though because there is a lot of heart disease in my family----it was perfectly fine.:)

I'm certain that it's ok...
    My onc was such a pain! She YELLED at me when I said, on a Friday afternoon, that I was losing the hydration battle and needed some IV fluids...."Why didn't you call me earlier???" said she, in a voice full of accusation and frustration...I replied "Well, because I didn't feel bad earlier!". I guess I ruined her schedule, although even if it HAD been and earlier call, she had no one in her infusion center on Fridays, anyway...sigh...

I'm so glad you are on top of this with your family troubles...when Hans was diagnosed with cardio myopathy and eventually heart failure, it was a surprise to us...then, all the family history started coming out of the woodwork...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Marcia527 said:

I didn't know anything when
    I didn't know anything when going through treatment. It would have helped if I had known about this message board. Some doctors don't like it when we self-diagnose and look for answers but hey if they aren't doing their job who is going to look after us? I had treatment in 2003/2004 so I guess if there were something wrong with my heart it would have shown up by now?

Yeah, and since one was done before....
    I'm certain they are watching...

I never had one, and this infusion was after already having Cisplatin chemo (also known for heart trouble) for the rectal cancer, barely 6 months earlier...

We actually skipped the last AC (I only had 3) because my heart became so irregular. Sigh, she should have ordered an echo then...or referred me off to a cardiologist.

Hugs, Kathi
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    hope all is well with you Kathi
    I never heard of that either, what I did hear is that after chemo, there is a slightly higher risk of blood clots. Hope your tests results are good. I do have an EKG before each surgery (next one scheduled for Thursday), and everything looks fine, so I guess I don't have to worry.
    Let us know when you get your results!
    =^..^=
  • KathiM
    cats_toy said:

hope all is well with you Kathi
    I never heard of that either, what I did hear is that after chemo, there is a slightly higher risk of blood clots. Hope your tests results are good. I do have an EKG before each surgery (next one scheduled for Thursday), and everything looks fine, so I guess I don't have to worry.
    Let us know when you get your results!
    =^..^=

I sure will, sweet soul!
    And I can exercise (we bought a stationary bike), so it can't be THAT bad...

Maybe just getting old...lol...55 this coming July. A magazine in the cardiologist's office talked of women and aging and heart troubles...he's thinking I should start baby aspirin, just like a man, once a day...lol...

Hugs, Kathi
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Kathi,
    When will you have

Kathi,
    When will you have your tests? Hope they can be all at once and over and that you will be just fine.

Did your cardiologist describe the recommended heart test protocol for adriamycin druggies? I had an echocardiogram before starting chemo, but have had no heart tests since. The echocardiogram was my very favorite test, too.

Be well. xoxoxoxoxo Lynn
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    lynn1950 said:

Kathi,
    When will you have

Kathi,
    When will you have your tests? Hope they can be all at once and over and that you will be just fine.

Did your cardiologist describe the recommended heart test protocol for adriamycin druggies? I had an echocardiogram before starting chemo, but have had no heart tests since. The echocardiogram was my very favorite test, too.

Be well. xoxoxoxoxo Lynn

I had an echo before the
    I had an echo before the adria and was told i would not need another because i was not going on herceptin. The cardiologist said to do one a month off the adriamycin and I plan on it . I have to have another minor surgery and i want to be checked before I exersize also because I have heart disease in my family. and I am paranoid.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Kathi...
    I'm very sorry to hear of your cardiac problem. And yes, you should have been monitored more closely, in my humble opinion.

I have not had an echo, but my onc ordered a MUGA scan before treatment began, and also after the A/C and Abraxane chemos were finished.

I hope things turn out ok...big hugs.

CR
  • KathiM
    CR1954 said:

Kathi...
    I'm very sorry to hear of your cardiac problem. And yes, you should have been monitored more closely, in my humble opinion.

I have not had an echo, but my onc ordered a MUGA scan before treatment began, and also after the A/C and Abraxane chemos were finished.

I hope things turn out ok...big hugs.

CR

I understand MUGA is good, as well....
    I told my doctor that he could just pat me on the head and tell me it's just a stress reaction...just as long as it isn't the start of something more sinister. I'm a bit freaked out just because of the near-death experience this past March with Hans...I KNOW that heart disease is real...

Sigh...I just wish I would have known then what I know now...lol...

I guess that's why I volunteer so much to help 'newbies' thru the process...On top of all the red tape and insurance hassles, we have to deal with 'You have cancer' and all of the trappings...

Thanks for the warm words of encouragement!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    carkris said:

I had an echo before the
    I had an echo before the adria and was told i would not need another because i was not going on herceptin. The cardiologist said to do one a month off the adriamycin and I plan on it . I have to have another minor surgery and i want to be checked before I exersize also because I have heart disease in my family. and I am paranoid.

Sounds like you had the right stuff!
    I HOPE it's nothing more than stress. But, considering I self-diagnosed the non-reality of my cancers to begin with, I have learned to check with the experts...so, I'll keep you all posted!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    lynn1950 said:

Kathi,
    When will you have

Kathi,

Be well. xoxoxoxoxo Lynn

Lynn, Well, whenever HealthNet says I can...lol!
    But as soon as they do, my doctor is going to schedule them as many as they can together...

I will ask about any recommended protocol...he just seemed surprised that an echo cardiogram wasn't done...

Thank you for the kind words, dearheart!

Hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I never had a a heart check
    I never had a a heart check ...not even once during my Adriamycin infusions, and none thereafter, either. My Dr never said anything about it; maybe once or twice in 6 years has he even brought out a stethescope, much less ordered any tests! Hmmmmmmmm....

Hope you get the clean bill sweetie; I'll be thinking of you!

Hugs,
    C♥
  • KathiM
    chenheart said:

I never had a a heart check
    I never had a a heart check ...not even once during my Adriamycin infusions, and none thereafter, either. My Dr never said anything about it; maybe once or twice in 6 years has he even brought out a stethescope, much less ordered any tests! Hmmmmmmmm....

Hope you get the clean bill sweetie; I'll be thinking of you!

Hugs,
    C♥

You are such a young thing....
    It's probably a non-issue...lol...

Thanks, dear soul, for the warm words!

Hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    KathiM said:

You are such a young thing....
    It's probably a non-issue...lol...

Thanks, dear soul, for the warm words!

Hugs, Kathi

Takes a Lickin and keeps on tickin
    RIGHT! hahahahaha! Well, I did do the Santa Barbara Half Marathon today, so if my heart was going to stop, today would have been a good day! So far, so good.....

Hugs,
    C♥
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Sending Best Wishes and Hopes for Good Heart Health
    Kathi, after all you went through earlier this year, you and Hans, you are way overdue for good luck! I will be thinking of you and hoping for good test results.

Thank you for sharing, as you always have, so that others can benefit from your experiences. My second opinion onc. did tell me I would need to be monitored by a cardiologist familiar with chemo-related heart issues. I have been too distracted and busy with work and just getting my stamina up to even think about yet another round of testing.

Please keep us updated as you can. I always enjoy your vacation posts and pics and informative posts even though I may not post myself.