Problems with radiation - need advice

Wolfi
Wolfi Member Posts: 425
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi. I just had my 24th radiation treatment on Friday. I should be finished by next Thursday (yeah) but am having a few problems. I've read other posts on skin issues but nothing that is exactly like what I'm going through so I'm looking for some help.

I woke up this morning at 3:00am with pain. I now have three blisters on my back (by my shoulder)and it looks like one of them broke open. Under my arm the skin is starting to peel off and is VERY uncomfortable.

I can take Tylenol for the pain but I guess I'm more worried about getting an infection because of the open skin areas. I don't want to put cream on the parts that have broken skin but I don't think there is anything else I can do. Another question I have is about my lymphodema - will this make it worse? I've been very careful with my arm up to this point and I have a mild case of lymphodema and don't want it to get worse.

I'm thinking about calling a 24 hour nurse line because I'm not sure that my radiation clinic has an after hours call in number. Is this something I should just try to deal with until tomorrow morning?

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Definately call.
    Hi Wolfi,

What you have under your arm is called "breakdown" and is fairly common. You did nothing wrong. Some women get it and some don't. There is a perscription creme they can give you that will help. I know many women who used it. That must be soooo painful.

Don't know why you have blisters on the back of your shoulders. The techs told me that when people have radiation for other cancers it can go through to their backs. Maybe it was the angle they used to avoid your organs.

I know there is an increased risk of lymphodema during radiation but I don't think it has anything to do with the burns. I don't know for sure but be sure you ask when you call.

I'm really sorry you are suffering so much with this treatment.

ROseann
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Definately call.
    Hi Wolfi,

What you have under your arm is called "breakdown" and is fairly common. You did nothing wrong. Some women get it and some don't. There is a perscription creme they can give you that will help. I know many women who used it. That must be soooo painful.

Don't know why you have blisters on the back of your shoulders. The techs told me that when people have radiation for other cancers it can go through to their backs. Maybe it was the angle they used to avoid your organs.

I know there is an increased risk of lymphodema during radiation but I don't think it has anything to do with the burns. I don't know for sure but be sure you ask when you call.

ROseann
  • Wolfi
    roseann4 said:

Definately call.
    Hi Wolfi,

ROseann

Thanks.
    I called the 24 hour nurse line and talked to the on-call oncologist (my radiation clinic didn't have a contact number for weekends). He said to keep the skin clean and dry in those spots and to not put on any creams or antibiotic cream. (I think he was a little irritated that the answering service had to wake him up.) He said everything should be fine until my appointment tomorrow morning.

I guess I'm looking at a shower and then laying around in bed for the rest of the day because it hurts to move my arm. I'll just have to get my book and some movies together and spend the day eating ice cream until I feel better (that one's for you, Pammy - I don't like ice cream that much).

Roseann - you were right, the lymphodema changes due to the radiation treatment and is not because of breaks in the skin.

Thanks.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    talk to your rad
    talk to your rad oncologist.. they can prescribe a thicker cream to use on the open areas.. at least that is what my rad oncol told me to do if i develop blisters
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    e_hope said:

talk to your rad
    talk to your rad oncologist.. they can prescribe a thicker cream to use on the open areas.. at least that is what my rad oncol told me to do if i develop blisters

Call your rads oncologist
    Call your rads oncologist and ask them. He will know what to use.
  • Wolfi
    e_hope said:

talk to your rad

Thanks
    My rad oncologist is out of town this week but one of the other doctors looked at my skin and gave me a prescription for some thick antibiotic cream. I have been taking Tylenol (or some of my leftover pain meds from surgery) for the pain and have been trying to sleep as much as possible. I woke up at 2:00 this morning.....

I was told to skip rads until Wednesday and then the doctor will look at my skin again before they treat me. I only have four more treatments so it will now be next week before I finish.

I also took off from work yesterday after I went in to approve time sheets and checked to see if anyone had any issues or questions on their work. I was there about 40 minutes, came home and tried to rest.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Wolfi said:

Thanks
    My rad oncologist is out of town this week but one of the other doctors looked at my skin and gave me a prescription for some thick antibiotic cream. I have been taking Tylenol (or some of my leftover pain meds from surgery) for the pain and have been trying to sleep as much as possible. I woke up at 2:00 this morning.....

I was told to skip rads until Wednesday and then the doctor will look at my skin again before they treat me. I only have four more treatments so it will now be next week before I finish.

I also took off from work yesterday after I went in to approve time sheets and checked to see if anyone had any issues or questions on their work. I was there about 40 minutes, came home and tried to rest.

Wolfe... I too had some
    Wolfe... I too had some damage to my skin and I can relate to the pain...I'm one of the ones that had problems during rads too.... the doctor offered to stop treatment for a couple of days but I wouldn't let him... the damage was done and didn't get worse.. just stayed the same.. I didn't have anything on my back..what I can tell you, is that though I am still very tender, it has been one week yesterday since my last treatment and things are starting to heal up pretty well...

Thinking of you and wishing you the best.... (and sometimes ice cream is a good rx) ;0)

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • Wolfi
    taleena said:

Wolfe... I too had some
    Wolfe... I too had some damage to my skin and I can relate to the pain...I'm one of the ones that had problems during rads too.... the doctor offered to stop treatment for a couple of days but I wouldn't let him... the damage was done and didn't get worse.. just stayed the same.. I didn't have anything on my back..what I can tell you, is that though I am still very tender, it has been one week yesterday since my last treatment and things are starting to heal up pretty well...

Thinking of you and wishing you the best.... (and sometimes ice cream is a good rx) ;0)

♥ & hugs,

~T

Thanks.
    Taleena,

Thanks for the response. I had rads today and am on track to finish next Monday. The skin under my arm is peeling off but I have cream to put on which makes it feel better. The blisters seem to be gone and I'm just going to push through with the rest of the rads. I've been having a hard time sleeping the past few days due to the pain of my skin (plus I roll over on that side while I'm sleeping and it wakes me up). I went to my oncologist today and got some sleep medication to use for a while so I can get more than 4 hours of sleep each night. I'm hoping it works and that I can sleep for at least 8 hours without waking up.
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    Wolfi said:

Thanks.
    Taleena,

Thanks for the response. I had rads today and am on track to finish next Monday. The skin under my arm is peeling off but I have cream to put on which makes it feel better. The blisters seem to be gone and I'm just going to push through with the rest of the rads. I've been having a hard time sleeping the past few days due to the pain of my skin (plus I roll over on that side while I'm sleeping and it wakes me up). I went to my oncologist today and got some sleep medication to use for a while so I can get more than 4 hours of sleep each night. I'm hoping it works and that I can sleep for at least 8 hours without waking up.

Radiation
    I just finished 6 weeks of radiation today. I have had blisters, and now have peeling skin that is wet, and lots of itching. I'm using the silvadene and also, one of the nurses told me to mix 4 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda, wet a towel with it and place it on the radiated area. It helps a lot with easing the burn and the itchiness. I also had a friend give me an aloe plant that helped a lot and was much better than the bottled aloe. Hope this helps!
  • Wolfi
    Update
    I guess I won't be finishing rads next Monday. My regular radiation oncologist looked at my skin this morning and wants to hold off rads until at least next Monday. He will look at the skin on Monday and decide then if I have treatments Monday-Wednesday or if I'll have them postponed longer. I'm thinking that with 4 days off treatments my skin could heal quite a bit.

I took my first sleeping pill last night and slept 8 HOURS straight! It was really great since my "normal" has always been between 5-6 hours a night and has been less the last week or so. I'm hoping that with the creams, lotions and extra sleep that I won't be in pain much longer and my skin will get back to normal.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. It's nice to be able to talk about this with people who know what I'm dealing with.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    roseann4 said:

Definately call.
    Hi Wolfi,

ROseann

Call , you need skin treatment
    I amreally sorry. I hope you did you read recent post related to back and shoulder problems during radiation.
    I had to treat my shoulder/back the same way as the breast. All radiated areas were as well-done steak by the end of 36 treatment.
    You definitely need a special cream to address your problems. I was given Silverstin to avoid infection.
    On regular basis I used Aquaphor, which i hated but it did work.
    As for lympgedeme, I do have it as well,
    just apply moisturizer and pray.
    Nobody will suggest stopping Radiation because of lymphedema, however in my case it became worse. It took me 4 months of Physical therapy to get back to pre-radiation situation. Unfortunately I still have it.
    Hugs
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Wolfi said:

Update
    I guess I won't be finishing rads next Monday. My regular radiation oncologist looked at my skin this morning and wants to hold off rads until at least next Monday. He will look at the skin on Monday and decide then if I have treatments Monday-Wednesday or if I'll have them postponed longer. I'm thinking that with 4 days off treatments my skin could heal quite a bit.

I took my first sleeping pill last night and slept 8 HOURS straight! It was really great since my "normal" has always been between 5-6 hours a night and has been less the last week or so. I'm hoping that with the creams, lotions and extra sleep that I won't be in pain much longer and my skin will get back to normal.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. It's nice to be able to talk about this with people who know what I'm dealing with.

good solution
    Sleeping pills definitely helped me too.
    Good luck on Monday. How is your lymphedema?
    Write me a PM if you have questions about lymphedema.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

good solution
    Sleeping pills definitely helped me too.
    Good luck on Monday. How is your lymphedema?
    Write me a PM if you have questions about lymphedema.

Burns
    I took it really bad with radiation and had all these bloody creams to rub on whatever, Polysporin for the red stuff, special cream with steroids to go on the broken out bits, Man I felt like a jigsaw puzzle!

I also has Atavan and Oxys from my doctor...........Pills help.

Hugs to you Jxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Wolfi said:

Update

Wolfi
    I am so sorry Wolfi that you are having so much trouble with rads. It is too bad that your rads oncologist doesn't just say enough is enough, and, let you just heal and quit. I hope that your healing starts quickly!

Glad you got some sleep. We all need a little help sometimes.

Take good care of yourself!

Sue :)
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Under control
    Sounds like you have this under control. I wanted to let you know that you are not alone--look at my expressions page, I took pictures. Silvadene is wonderful. I was fortunate in that I was not working at the time so I didn't wear clothes much.

Hang in there...

Maureen
  • Wolfi

Under control
    Sounds like you have this under control. I wanted to let you know that you are not alone--look at my expressions page, I took pictures. Silvadene is wonderful. I was fortunate in that I was not working at the time so I didn't wear clothes much.

Hang in there...

Maureen

Clothing - optional
    Maureen,

I did look at your expressions pictures. My skin right now looks a lot worse. I have peeling skin on my peeling skin. I am feeling better and just have to keep putting the lotions and creams on constantly. I've also been taking Tylenol and using the sleeping pills at night.

I have been working part/full time during radiation so the optional clothing doesn't really work for me too much. I love coming home, taking off my work clothes (which includes my mastectomy tank top with inserts) and just putting on an old t-shirt and sweat pants for the night. If I didn't have two teenagers at home (with friends coming over) I would walk around with no shirt on every evening. Oh well, I'm dealing with it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Only three more days of rads.......
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Wolfi said:

Clothing - optional
    Maureen,

I did look at your expressions pictures. My skin right now looks a lot worse. I have peeling skin on my peeling skin. I am feeling better and just have to keep putting the lotions and creams on constantly. I've also been taking Tylenol and using the sleeping pills at night.

I have been working part/full time during radiation so the optional clothing doesn't really work for me too much. I love coming home, taking off my work clothes (which includes my mastectomy tank top with inserts) and just putting on an old t-shirt and sweat pants for the night. If I didn't have two teenagers at home (with friends coming over) I would walk around with no shirt on every evening. Oh well, I'm dealing with it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Only three more days of rads.......

it'll pass
    You are obviously a strong woman. You'll get through this. I personally have a problem with being injured in treatment but *shrug* what can you do? Rads, working, and teenagers? I just did 2 out of three and only 1 teenager! *grin*

Maureen