Reconstruct or not

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just diaganosised and will go thru a round of chemo before having a double mascetomy. I am 54 years old and wondering if the reconstruction surgery is really worth it?

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    That depends on you. If you
    That depends on you. If you are uncertain you can always go back and do it later. Some get it done right away and others go back later and others like me just doesn't do anything. Ask your doctor because mine said I'd have to wait and couldn't have it until after radiation. Others have said they had it done before radiation so not sure why that is. Maybe a difference in our conditions. I did not have a double but just the right and had a modified radical mastectomy.
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    Marcia527 said:

That depends on you. If you
    That depends on you. If you are uncertain you can always go back and do it later. Some get it done right away and others go back later and others like me just doesn't do anything. Ask your doctor because mine said I'd have to wait and couldn't have it until after radiation. Others have said they had it done before radiation so not sure why that is. Maybe a difference in our conditions. I did not have a double but just the right and had a modified radical mastectomy.

I agree...
    with Marcia! It's all about YOU. I am 49 yrs old, diagnosed with IBC in left, right was clear. I, personally, decide to go with double mastecomy w/immediate reconstruction. But if you have the opportunity to decide later, you may want to take the time to make the best decision for you. Weight the pros and cons. Just remember this is a personal decision for all of us.

We will keep you in our thoughts & prayers! Keep coming back with any and all questions, concerns, and needed advice. These women are my personal heros!!!

Hugzzzzzzz
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Welcome sweetvickid
    As the others stated, it is a personal choice whether to do reconstruction or not. I just turned 53. I had a partial and never even considered reconstruction. But with scar tissue developing under the skin from radiation, I decided instead of having questionable mammos, mri's and ultrasounds, I would have them remove the radiated skin, remove the lumps, and reconstruct the breast. This was just done in August of this year, and my BC surgery was March of 2007. I am glad I did it, and that it was more than two years later, giving me plenty of time to make that decision. Now I go in on Thursday for the implant on the unaffected breast to make me symetrical again. Good luck with this ever fascinating, and utterly life changing journey.
    Cat
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Another option
    I was just a month shy of 60 when I had a double mastectomy and chose not to have any reconstruction. Partly for the long recoup time, several weeks out this past year on family leave to help my parents left my sick leave and vacation leave pretty bear. Had to take 6 days of LWOP anyway.
    But the main reason was my age and the example set by my mother. She had both breast removed at age 39 and was a breast cancer survivor for 40 years until her death last year from liver/pancreatic cancer. She wore her prosthetics the entire time (a some of the older version were terrible. But she had grace and dignity throughout. As a minister's wife she was constantly in front of the public and was raising the last 4 of us 6 kids.
    If she could do it and the prosthetics out there for us are definitely better, I figured I could to.
    Each of us has to make our own decision as to what is best. For me it was no reconstruction and I'm pleased with it.
    Good luck with your decision. Sending positive vibes your way. The two hardest parts of this disease are the decisions and the waiting. Hang in there, you are among friends. Lola
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    It's you call!
    Aug, 09, I was diagnosed with IBC. Went through Chemo and had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago. All of my Drs (Surgeon, Chemo, and Rad) said not to think about reconstruction for at least 9 - 12 months as there will be more chemo and then rad.

Personally, at this time, I'm planning on reconstruction when the time is right. When the time comes where/if it is possible - I might have changed my mind by then - doubt it though. If reconstruction isn't meant to be - it isn't. Either way, I'm who I am. Oh by the way - I'm 63.

You and only you can make the decision of what is right for you.
  • ernesti
    ernesti Member Posts: 2
    Rague said:

It's you call!
    Aug, 09, I was diagnosed with IBC. Went through Chemo and had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago. All of my Drs (Surgeon, Chemo, and Rad) said not to think about reconstruction for at least 9 - 12 months as there will be more chemo and then rad.

Personally, at this time, I'm planning on reconstruction when the time is right. When the time comes where/if it is possible - I might have changed my mind by then - doubt it though. If reconstruction isn't meant to be - it isn't. Either way, I'm who I am. Oh by the way - I'm 63.

You and only you can make the decision of what is right for you.

This would depend on each individual. I had two separate radical masto... For myself, since I have always large breasts, I could not go on without reconstructions.
    the first pair were saline implants, for years had severe pain as they were very hard. Then in 2008 my surgeon removed them and went with another, which she stated was better. So I went for that. I would not feel feminene and secure self image without breasts. But no implants will never like one's originals.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Your decision
    After many weeks of extensive research and thought on the topic of reconstruction I decided to go without. Many people (including my surgeon) were surprised by my decision since I am a "young" 41, but I have not had a regret since my decision.

I think reconstructive surgery has a lot to do with both your age AND your job/location/marital status/outlook, etc. I normally don't wear makeup and don't spend much time or money on my hair or nails. I NEVER wear a swim suit and live in a state with 9 months of winter. I have been happily married for what seems like forever so I have no intentions of ever "dating" again.

This is me and I'm happy with how I look now.

Good luck with your decision. As long as YOU are the one making a decision (and not a friend, relative or doctor) you will be fine.
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Your Choice
    I personally decided (at 44) that I could not go without having a breast. I will have my mastectomy and reconstruction on Dec. 11. It was not a hard deision. The hardest part was realizing that I would lose my breast. It's feels like I'm losing part of what makes a woman. In the end it has to be your choice just remember that if you deccide not to reconstruct now you always have the chance down the road, if you change your mind.
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    To Reconstruct or Not
    Everyone that has replied to you is right. This is a very personal decision, and one you have to make for YOU! Each one of us are different, and we have to be true to ourselves. I'm 67 years old, and I guess I'm just vain enough that I want to get back to as much "normalcy" as I can, so I'm having reconstructive surgery in December, one week short of a year from when I had my mastectomy. I'm having a DIEP Flap with a tummy tuck. After a year of fighting the beast, I figure I owe this to myself. Besides, my husband is a boob man or should I say just a big boob. Don't rush your decision, and remember, if you decide not to have the surgery, you can always change your mind. After all, we're women, and that's our right! Connie
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I'm waiting...
    I'm 48 years old and had a radical mastectomy of my left breast. My surgeon recommended that I wait until after radiation and I, now, am happy that I did that. There was a local surgeon who would've given me immediate reconstruction but I wanted it done by someone who specialized in breast cancer. I was very torn. I am not very big, but I was very distraught about being flat on one side. I recovered EXTREMELY well from my surgery and was told it was because I didn't have the flap. This gives me something to look forward to at the end of all this. Because I was not very big, I plan to have the other enhanced to match :)) I have been told that radiation can ruin the reconstruction and have heard that some women need to go back and have it redone... so I guess that might be something to consider as well. Good luck with the choice you make and I hope that it all goes smoothly for you!

Hugs~ Marlene
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Marlene_K said:

I'm waiting...
    I'm 48 years old and had a radical mastectomy of my left breast. My surgeon recommended that I wait until after radiation and I, now, am happy that I did that. There was a local surgeon who would've given me immediate reconstruction but I wanted it done by someone who specialized in breast cancer. I was very torn. I am not very big, but I was very distraught about being flat on one side. I recovered EXTREMELY well from my surgery and was told it was because I didn't have the flap. This gives me something to look forward to at the end of all this. Because I was not very big, I plan to have the other enhanced to match :)) I have been told that radiation can ruin the reconstruction and have heard that some women need to go back and have it redone... so I guess that might be something to consider as well. Good luck with the choice you make and I hope that it all goes smoothly for you!

Hugs~ Marlene

Waiting for Reconstructive Surgery
    I think you made a very good decision in waiting for your reconstructive surgery till your treatments are complete. My plastic surgeon told me that I should wait at least three months after completing radiation to have the surgery. As it is, it will actually be six months when I have it on December 16th. I've heard of too many women who have had their reconstructive surgery at the same time they had their mastectomy and have had to have it redone for one reason or another. Being "lopsided" has been an interesting thing to deal with. I'm a size D and believe me, when one side of you is that big, and the other is flat, it's pretty disconcerting. I wear alot of jackets, etc. to disguise this. I'm sizing down to a C when I have the surgery, and I'm having the other breast sized down to match. Best of luck with all of your treatments and your reconstruction. Connie
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    contrail said:

I think you made a very good decision in waiting for your reconstructive surgery till your treatments are complete. My plastic surgeon told me that I should wait at least three months after completing radiation to have the surgery. As it is, it will actually be six months when I have it on December 16th. I've heard of too many women who have had their reconstructive surgery at the same time they had their mastectomy and have had to have it redone for one reason or another. Being "lopsided" has been an interesting thing to deal with. I'm a size D and believe me, when one side of you is that big, and the other is flat, it's pretty disconcerting. I wear alot of jackets, etc. to disguise this. I'm sizing down to a C when I have the surgery, and I'm having the other breast sized down to match. Best of luck with all of your treatments and your reconstruction. Connie

waiting...
    my Onc and Plastic Surgeon actually told me to wait at least a year after radiation. We do get differing opinions on just about every aspect of this journey, don't we?
    My surgery was scheduled for about a year and 3 months after, and it worked very well. Talking about lopsided, I have a poem on my expressions page about that, if you are interested.
    Cat
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    contrail said:

Too bad
    Too bad we couldn't somehow trade off, Connie, lol. I have a very close friend of mine that is HUGE and she has offered some of hers to compensate for my loss. Guess it's too bad that's not an option... YET. HAHA!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Marlene_K said:

Too bad
    Too bad we couldn't somehow trade off, Connie, lol. I have a very close friend of mine that is HUGE and she has offered some of hers to compensate for my loss. Guess it's too bad that's not an option... YET. HAHA!

Sweet Vic Kid .. It a PERSONAL decision, however,
    age consideration is a factor. If you have insurance and you are covered, I would strongly researching and speaking to other breast cancer suvivors in your age group.

My personal choice is based on the factor that I have 2 children .. late teens and cancer loves me. I have had both cervical and thyroid cancers, and have been clean for 16 years only to be diagnosised with breast cancer on 8/14/09 in my 1eft breast. I have DCIS - High grade, and Her2 positive -- stage 1. I truly do not wish to re-live my breast cancer experience ever again. So my choice is simple and clear.

I elected to do the Flap, only to be told that here in California many plastic surgeon vie for bi-lateral and reconstruction due to the length of time women are under ... So damn there goes my idea for a free tummy tuck.

Good Luck ..

VickiSam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

Sweet Vic Kid .. It a PERSONAL decision, however,
    age consideration is a factor. If you have insurance and you are covered, I would strongly researching and speaking to other breast cancer suvivors in your age group.

My personal choice is based on the factor that I have 2 children .. late teens and cancer loves me. I have had both cervical and thyroid cancers, and have been clean for 16 years only to be diagnosised with breast cancer on 8/14/09 in my 1eft breast. I have DCIS - High grade, and Her2 positive -- stage 1. I truly do not wish to re-live my breast cancer experience ever again. So my choice is simple and clear.

I elected to do the Flap, only to be told that here in California many plastic surgeon vie for bi-lateral and reconstruction due to the length of time women are under ... So damn there goes my idea for a free tummy tuck.

Good Luck ..

VickiSam

Check with your insurance
    I didn't have reconstruction, as I had a lumpectomy. The only thing that I would suggest that bc survivors do that may delay it, is to always check with your insurance to see how long you would be covered to have reconstruction done. I think I read somewhere where there is a time limit on having it done and paid for by your insurance.

Sue :)