One drain out

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Saw Surgeon yesterday (2 weeks 1 day post) and he took 1 of the 2 drains out. Barring any changes, he plans on taking the other out next Wed. Really 'good looking' drainage but still quite a lot but it's in the area where he had to take the most out so he's pleased.

Susan

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I'm glad you got one out. I
    I'm glad you got one out. I remember it was much more comfortable when the drains were gone. Glad things are going well.
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    It's such a great feeling to get even 1 out
    I had the first one out at day 11 and the second came out at day 14 for the same reasons you had to keep one in longer. The doctor had actually told me I could go back to work right after the 1st one was out but I didn't think I really wanted to be working with the extra appendage even though physically I felt OK.
    Happy for you that this last step of the surgery process is almost over for you. Lola
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    1 is so much easier to deal
    1 is so much easier to deal with 2 LOL. I didn't get one of the camisoles (sp?) with pockets in them for the drains so I've been clipping to a belt loop in my jeans. None of my shirts are long enough to go down and cover them completely - but some of my sweatshirt would - so it's been sweatshirt when out and about. The 1 fits nicely in my jeans back pocket and shirts all cover the top of pocket so much easier to do.

This last weekend I felt a lot better and did more than I should and was exhausted on Mon and Tues (over-all too much but was careful to not do anything to do harm).
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I had my mastectomy on Aug. 27th in Philadelphia which was an hour & a half away from home. My surgeon told me they could come out 7 days later. Well, for sure, I made my appt for 7 days after. Of course, a friend drove me out, but I was soooo thrilled they would be gone! I hated the daily maintenance of them and deciding what to wear every day to conceal them. I got all the way there and he didn't feel the drainage was enough. UGHHH! I went another week and that time, thank God, he pulled them. I also had anxiety over them being pulled as he said 'yes, it would hurt', so he pulled both at once and I was thrilled that it didn't hurt at all. I have NEVER been one to endure anything medical and it's just amazing all that we make it through to beat this beast! I tend to amaze myself at times, lol.

Sorry you have to wait a few more days to have the 2nd one removed, but know that it feels great to get over another hurdle when it happens.
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    I too, just had
    one removed on Thursday, Nov 5th, the other scheduled for Tuesday, Nov 10th for the same reasons. I know I will be relieved to have it removed as well.

Good luck on Wednesday, I hope it's quick & easy for you!

Hugs ~ Sherri
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    One to go
    I know it's no fun to have one drain left, but you need to think of the benefit whenever you are uncomfortable. I had my drains in a week longer than they originally though because I was still producing so much fluid. Even though it was a pain to have them in I'm glad I didn't have to deal with fluid build up after they were removed.

Good luck on Wednesday!
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Wolfi said:

One to go
    I know it's no fun to have one drain left, but you need to think of the benefit whenever you are uncomfortable. I had my drains in a week longer than they originally though because I was still producing so much fluid. Even though it was a pain to have them in I'm glad I didn't have to deal with fluid build up after they were removed.

Good luck on Wednesday!

I waited a week longer
    I waited a week longer myself. I had them in for a total of two weeks. I thought for SURE I was ready by then... obviously, so did my surgeon. Two days later, I had some fluid build up. I was ready to go to the local emergency room, as my surgery had been done at a hospital that is an hour and a half away. At the very least, I was so uncomfortable on that 3rd day, I was contemplating sticking a pin in for relief! My doctor's office assured me from how I explained it, that it would lessen. Thank God it did! The next morning I could tell it was better and within a couple days, it had completely gone away. Yes, it pays to wait until for sure they are ready to come out!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Marcia527 said:

I'm glad you got one out. I
    I'm glad you got one out. I remember it was much more comfortable when the drains were gone. Glad things are going well.

I know that feels good to
    I know that feels good to get one out. Congrats on that one being gone now!
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    congrads!!
    know you were glad to get one out so was I... It will be better soon when its all out!!!

prayers & Hugs to you!!!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    brenda247 said:

congrads!!
    know you were glad to get one out so was I... It will be better soon when its all out!!!

prayers & Hugs to you!!!

Soon you will be drains
    Soon you will be drains free! Congrats on getting the first one out!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    HOORAY! Another step closer
    HOORAY! Another step closer to Life After Cancer...we love the milestones! And I am especially happy that your Dr is pleased with how things are going. Awesome!

Hugs,
    Chen♥