Recurrence at surgical site

Hatshepsut
Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello.

My husband's Wednesday CT scan results are in and his oncologist told us this morning that he has a small mass located in his abdominal wall. (The CT scan indicates that the mass has NOT penetrated through the abdominal wall into the abdomen and has good margins to permit the surgeon to excise the mass. Our oncologist is pretty optimistic about my husband's prognosis.)

My husband had a similar situation in 2008.

So, like too many of you, we, too, are back in the surgery-mode.

This surgery (like the one in 2008) is expected to be much less invasive than his serious abdominal surgeries of 2006 and 2007, but my husband is elderly and, at 91 (although he is far younger and healthier than his age would indicate), surgery isn't the word you want to hear.

I'm interested to know if others have had recurrences in the abdominal wall after major colon cancer surgeries and, if so, how those recurrences have responded to surgical intervention.

Our oncologist suggested that he may prescribe focused radiation of the surgical site after the surgery to sterilize the area and prevent future occurrences.

This has been a difficult day and this is a tough, unrelenting fight. Thank you in advance for kind, supportive thoughts on our behalf.

Hatshepsut

Comments

• pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    I have not
    had that happen. But I am so sorry to hear you & your husband are having to go through this again.
  • cyndi2324
    cyndi2324 Member Posts: 72
    I'm sorry to say yes. I've
    I'm sorry to say yes. I've had 2 abdominal surgeries in 2 years started in 2007. It is back again 3rd time and so no more surgeries it is near S2 an 2 other places. I wish you and your husband the best. I hope all goes well.
    Cyndi
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Praying
    I'm so sorry. It hasn't happened to me. Just wanted to say I'm praying for you and your husband.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Hatshepsut
    I am sorry to hear that your husband has to go through this again. It does all sound very positive though, at least as positive as something like this can be. His oncologist sounds promising about your husbands prognosis. I have not had any experience with this so I am sorry that I can not offer any personal experiences to you.

As always, you both are in my thoughts
    -phil
  • donnare
    donnare Member Posts: 266
    Hi
    Hatshepsut,

I just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm sorry to read that you and your husband are going through this again. I'm sending prayers, thoughts and positive energy your way.

Donna
  • Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member
    Me and Winny

Thank you for your supportive posts and kind good wishes.

We've been fighting this exhausting battle for more than three years now and I know that my husband and his team of great doctors will beat this yet again.

Nevertheless, this CT scan report with its news of a recurrence hit us hard.

There is not much to laugh about here, but I am reminded of one of my favorite comedian's best lines. Steven Wright joked about his friend Winny being so low that he could "limbo under a rug."

It seems to me that that is a pretty good take on how it feels to get a diagnosis of a colon cancer recurrence.

Hatshepsut (typing this note from somewhere under the rug)
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464

Me and Winny

Thank you for your supportive posts and kind good wishes.

We've been fighting this exhausting battle for more than three years now and I know that my husband and his team of great doctors will beat this yet again.

Nevertheless, this CT scan report with its news of a recurrence hit us hard.

There is not much to laugh about here, but I am reminded of one of my favorite comedian's best lines. Steven Wright joked about his friend Winny being so low that he could "limbo under a rug."

It seems to me that that is a pretty good take on how it feels to get a diagnosis of a colon cancer recurrence.

Hatshepsut (typing this note from somewhere under the rug)

So Sorry
    Hatshepsut,

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. You are both very strong and have been fighting this for a long time. You just keep on fighting 1 day at a time. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Don't forget to crawl out from under that rug and keep us posted. We care.

Blessings to you,

Debbie (gramma)