I miss my tastebuds

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How I loved to eat, but now, without taste it's just not the same. I just lost my tastebuds a few days ago, until then, I was wondering if I would ever get the side effect everyone else had. Chocolate tastes like wax. Can't taste sweet or salty anything. But I don't have the metal taste in my mouth like some. My appetite is still great even though I know I won't taste anything I put in my mouth. When will my taste return? Anyone else lose their taste recently?

Comments

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Laurissa
    This was the worst part of it for me. I too didn't get the metallic taste, it's just that everything had either NO taste, tasted like poison or had a revolting texture like grit, even rice and mashed potatoes. I couldn't even handle the smell of coffee.
    I recently had my first coffee in a year, it tasted great.........it takes some time to come back with some people, mine is just starting to get there.

I finished chemo and Rads september last year and tried to cook a great thanksgiving dinner for 6 (october here) they all piled into it and I just sat there after 5 hours of solid cooking and burst into tears, it tasted AWFUL! (to me).. I thought they were just being kind. Not So..........I took a lot of convincing though.

Now after a whole year out of treatments my taste buds are starting to slowly come back, OMG, I LOVE FOOD!... Many people who I have spoken to have not had to wait this long........ I hope this is true in your case. It's just horrible not to be able to eat and enjoy.

During chemo (FEC and Taxotare) my tongue turned blue/white and brown and I had this absolutely revolting taste all the time. It's fading away now. I really hope you recover faster than I did, But if not, Please don't despair, It Does come back!.... Wishing you all the very best. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    That was one of the hardest things
    Laurissa,

I'm sorry, I don't remember which chemo cocktail you're on....I was on Cytoxan/Taxotere, and I had completely whacked out tastebuds for about a week after each chemo -- some things were completely tasteless, some things tasted just horrible. In my case, my tastebuds mostly came back just before the next chemo, and were completely back to normal within a few weeks after I finished chemo.

One approach (that I "stole" from other women on this board) that helped me was to eat more strongly-flavored food -- like Mexican or Thai food. I was definitely able to taste spicier foods better than plainer foods.

Don't give up, keep trying! Even foods that you didn't like before -- with your temporarily-altered tastebuds, you might like them now.

Traci
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Hmmm....
    We've talked about me following in your footsteps, as it was just a week ago when you lost your hair. Is this my next hurdle? Ughh! I love food and so far my taste buds haven't changed nor have I had that 'metal' taste. Oh grrrrreat! lol
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Hi Laurissa!
    Hi Laurissa,

For some reason, you are the person that has inspired me the most on this site probably because you are ahead of me in treatment? and not by much....maybe it was the 2 different pictures you have posted (have you lost your hair yet?) or the time that you joined and got diagnosed.., I don't know..somehow tho, through the words that you are saying - you are on my wave-vibe (is that a word?)---hahahaha.

I like reading your posts because I am directly following in your footsteps. And in a way, I am sorry for that because I really can't give you any advice.. but when I get to where you are I hope to compare notes. I get my port in on Monday (the 9th - which is my husband's b-day) and I remember that you said that it hurt...

I really am not scared of that to be honest (but I will talk more after it is done...haha) Actually, I, like you, love to eat!!! I have been telling people at work that when chemo starts I am going to lose weight I hope!!! (Cuz I really need to lose about 20 lbs.)

I can't imagine right now not tasting food - that will be VERY WEIRD for me. How can you eat if you don't taste anything? I guess I don't understand yet...

I hope you are doing well Laurissa, we will get thru this for sure!!!

Tracy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hi Laurissa!
    Hi Laurissa,

For some reason, you are the person that has inspired me the most on this site probably because you are ahead of me in treatment? and not by much....maybe it was the 2 different pictures you have posted (have you lost your hair yet?) or the time that you joined and got diagnosed.., I don't know..somehow tho, through the words that you are saying - you are on my wave-vibe (is that a word?)---hahahaha.

I like reading your posts because I am directly following in your footsteps. And in a way, I am sorry for that because I really can't give you any advice.. but when I get to where you are I hope to compare notes. I get my port in on Monday (the 9th - which is my husband's b-day) and I remember that you said that it hurt...

I really am not scared of that to be honest (but I will talk more after it is done...haha) Actually, I, like you, love to eat!!! I have been telling people at work that when chemo starts I am going to lose weight I hope!!! (Cuz I really need to lose about 20 lbs.)

I can't imagine right now not tasting food - that will be VERY WEIRD for me. How can you eat if you don't taste anything? I guess I don't understand yet...

Tracy

taste buds
    i just finished AC and started taxol I had a lot of lower GI issues, which compicated things. (not usual) but do not have any appetitie. Sometimes I watch TV comercials and think will I
    ever eat that stuff again? It ;ooks good but one bite and its yuck. unfortunately I just got put on a low residue, lactose free diet now I'm like what am I going to eat now? I was pretty overweight and have lost 30 pds 10 prior from the stress, 40 total. I am more worried about my nutritional status. later I will be battling my appetite again I know. I dont want to regain the weight just wish it could have been a healthier weight loss and not because of this!!!!!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Laurissa, I think you're on
    Laurissa, I think you're on the same cocktail I was, Taxotere and Cytoxan. My situation was the same as Traci's. I lost taste buds right after chemo and got it back just before the next chemo. I've been done with chemo for 3 weeks now and have my taste buds back. Hang in there, it will get better.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    No taste
    I'm sorry. This is a maddening side effect. I had minor taste changes, but my taste buds always came back in between chemos. I found that I could taste olives for some reason. They will definitely come back, probably very quickly after chemo ends. In the meantime try to get all your nutrition and build yourself a healthy diet. I figured, if I can't truly enjoy all the high fat stuff, I might as well eat the healthy stuff and get myself into a good habit. Good luck.

Mimi
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Laurissa
    This was the worst part of it for me. I too didn't get the metallic taste, it's just that everything had either NO taste, tasted like poison or had a revolting texture like grit, even rice and mashed potatoes. I couldn't even handle the smell of coffee.
    I recently had my first coffee in a year, it tasted great.........it takes some time to come back with some people, mine is just starting to get there.

I finished chemo and Rads september last year and tried to cook a great thanksgiving dinner for 6 (october here) they all piled into it and I just sat there after 5 hours of solid cooking and burst into tears, it tasted AWFUL! (to me).. I thought they were just being kind. Not So..........I took a lot of convincing though.

Now after a whole year out of treatments my taste buds are starting to slowly come back, OMG, I LOVE FOOD!... Many people who I have spoken to have not had to wait this long........ I hope this is true in your case. It's just horrible not to be able to eat and enjoy.

During chemo (FEC and Taxotare) my tongue turned blue/white and brown and I had this absolutely revolting taste all the time. It's fading away now. I really hope you recover faster than I did, But if not, Please don't despair, It Does come back!.... Wishing you all the very best. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxx

Laurrisa
    You described my systoms 5 days after my first TCH treatment 9 weeks ago. Nothing and I mean nothing taste good. I've lost 17 lbs .. good thing as I love food. My onc states that my taste buds have gone by the wayside due to the taxotere and herceptin .. which will be dripping thru my veins for another solid 9 weeks.

Beleive me when I say I am all abt food, I am a great cook .. classes and all. So I cried and cried at different times in the day .. wishing I could taste anything. This went on for weeks. What I was able to eat 4 weeks, is not the case today .. My food list is getting smaller, the longer I am in chemo.

Bread is no longer my friend, I can not stomach rice, potatoes, tuna or carrots. I want to eat all the time, but can't .. nothing taste good. Can't stomach mayonisse, mustard, cottage cheese .. pickles, chicken - baked or fried. Milk taste pretty much like cold water with a bit of an after taste.

Mexican food is a delight for me .. but only 14 days after each TCH treatment. I don't care for chinese .. and steaks - forget about it ...

I wish I could help you ..

VickiSam
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    This has come on pretty
    This has come on pretty suddenly over last weekend. Spicy foods are the best I can taste. I can also taste honey, but without the sweetness, tastes horrible. Maybe my appetite will subside a bit since I know what a disappointment it will be. Whats weird is how chocolate tastes like wax, have to spit it out. I'm sure it will get better in time.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    I finished chemo Sept. 18th
    I finished chemo Sept. 18th and probably a month later I started to get my taste back. Now everything tastes good again! I couldn't stand fruit or veggies or coffee ...even cokes tasted bad.... but now it's all good again....I did lose my eyelashes and eyebrows a month after chemo though...I guess it's all a tradeout
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    laurissa said:

This has come on pretty
    This has come on pretty suddenly over last weekend. Spicy foods are the best I can taste. I can also taste honey, but without the sweetness, tastes horrible. Maybe my appetite will subside a bit since I know what a disappointment it will be. Whats weird is how chocolate tastes like wax, have to spit it out. I'm sure it will get better in time.

Laurissa, I know what you
    Laurissa, I know what you mean. I was so looking forward to breakfast with my husband this AM at Mimi's. The pumpkin muffin had no flavor and I couldnt stomach the coffee, now my tummy has that burning sensation. The past week and half was pretty rough for me with nausea. I was feeling better yesterday and didnt expect this result. I just cant taste things, and some of the things taste like rubber to me. My 3rd chemo is 11/17. Are you scheduled on 11/16?
  • terpsi
    terpsi Member Posts: 33
    where are my taste buds
    My tongue has lost all sensitivity to taste except for the edges, which seem to know salt. I can taste that in the foods I eat but not much else. My tongue is a virtual dead zone. I eat for nourishment but avoid going out to dinner to spend any money because it's a waste.

I had some Chinese food last week, and because I put soy sauce on the food, it tasted decent.

My chemo started in April, and I'll go to the end of the year when they'll give me a break for a while :), if all goes well between now and then (no progression of the mets).

Hopefully, I'll be able to taste again and actually enjoy my favorites. Oh, yeah, my mouth is also very sore, so I cannot eat anything with spice, though I love spicy food. Any little bit of spice sets my mouth afire.

Good luck, and be sure to eat healthy, even for just the nutrition :)
    donna peach
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    terpsi said:

where are my taste buds
    My tongue has lost all sensitivity to taste except for the edges, which seem to know salt. I can taste that in the foods I eat but not much else. My tongue is a virtual dead zone. I eat for nourishment but avoid going out to dinner to spend any money because it's a waste.

I had some Chinese food last week, and because I put soy sauce on the food, it tasted decent.

My chemo started in April, and I'll go to the end of the year when they'll give me a break for a while :), if all goes well between now and then (no progression of the mets).

Hopefully, I'll be able to taste again and actually enjoy my favorites. Oh, yeah, my mouth is also very sore, so I cannot eat anything with spice, though I love spicy food. Any little bit of spice sets my mouth afire.

Good luck, and be sure to eat healthy, even for just the nutrition :)
    donna peach

Mouth sore
    Donna - Maybe you could try the "magic mouthwash" get the prescription from the doc. The lidocaine in it will numb your mouth so you might be able to eat some of the spicy food. Of course it may numb it so much you can't taste the spice. Catch -22. How soon after the 1st chemo did the loss or change in tastes happen. I want to prepare. Lola
  • terpsi
    terpsi Member Posts: 33

Mouth sore
    Donna - Maybe you could try the "magic mouthwash" get the prescription from the doc. The lidocaine in it will numb your mouth so you might be able to eat some of the spicy food. Of course it may numb it so much you can't taste the spice. Catch -22. How soon after the 1st chemo did the loss or change in tastes happen. I want to prepare. Lola

where are my taste buds
    Hi Lola,

I'll ask about the "magic mouthwash," thanks. I don't remember exactly when this started; it was one of those side effects that seemed to sneak up on me, and it did take a while for this particular side effect to get me. I'd say after I'd been on chemo maybe two or more months. Funny, I don't like salty things normally, but potato chips are one of the things that taste decent for me. I don't eat much, but sometimes they help before I eat a meal. Sounds crazy, but it seems to work for me.

Cheers,
    donna peach
  • Bimboopa
    Bimboopa Member Posts: 2 Member
    Tastebuds
    Laurissa, Just concentrate on getting better. Your tastebud will return after all your treatments, I can't remember exactly when. But it definitely returns. When people said this to me, I didn't believe, but I was waiting to see the miracle that will make food taste the way they should taste. Now, anytime I eat (even though I conscious of weight), I still appreciate and thank God that I can taste whatever I'm eating. Good Luck with your treatment. My last chemo was in August 2007. Bola
  • Bimboopa
    Bimboopa Member Posts: 2 Member

Hi Laurissa!
    Hi Laurissa,

Tracy

Hi Tracy, I finished chemo
    Hi Tracy, I finished chemo August 2007 but I can still give you some pointers. The port is not the same in everybody. I my support group, the discussion is that - it hurt some people and it doesn't hurt some people. I didn't have any problem with mine, and I hope you don't. About the weight loss - I was so much wishing that I would loose about 20lbs, especially when I wasn't able to eat, I was just eating to survive - I wasn't that lucky. The treatment makes one feel and look bloated. That extra weight you think you have might be a lifesaver, since they don't want you loosing too much weight during treatment. Another important advise, when you have running stomach for too long don't try to ignore it. I did that and it almost sent me to the emergency room because I was sooooo dehydrate and had to get about three bottles of drips. Now it's funny, but it wasn't funny then - I thought, if I'm going so much maybe I'll loose those 20Ibs. Good Luck with your treatments. I'm sure you'll make it - You go girl!!!!
    Bola