New to all of this

Options
BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
New to this message board stuff but I have been reading all of the comments for a few weeks and thought I might give it a try.

My husband's mother moved in with us the end of May. She is 86 and no longer able to live by herself. She had a heart attack the week after my husband went and got her. If she had not been with us she would have died. I found the lump the week she was in the hospital recovering from her heart attack. Needless to say I made all of my appointments with GYN and such and then told my husband, all the time hopeing it was just a cyst and the lump would go away. Of course it didn't. Invasive Ductal Carcinomia 2cm HER2+ and ER+. My Oncotype test was high so I will have Chemo. The Oncotype was negative for HER2 but the FISH test said I was positive so I get Herceptin. I had one lymph node with a microscopic amount of cancer(removed). Everything else is clear.

My husband has been with me for every appointment with all of my doctors. I had a Lumpectomy on the 16th of Sep and had the port put in last Friday. Due to start Chemo on the 4th of Nov. I am Postmeno so will get TCH (Taxotere/ Carboplatin and Herceptin) The TC part of Chemo is every 3 weeks for 18 weeks, total of 6 sessions. The Herceptin is every week for 18 weeks and then every 3 weeks for a year. And then of course Arimidex for however long, years from what I have read.

I bought a wig already and scarfs and such. My husband did not quie understand why I had to get all this done before I even had Chemo or lost any hair but I have to be prepared.

I told my surgeon when I had the port put in that I was really scared even more than I was when I had the Lumpectomy and he asked me why. I told him I guess the more that is done to me the more real all of this becomes. He hesitated for a momment and when he finished reading my chart he talked to me for about 15 minutes trying to reasure me. I guess it helps to just get it all out. I haven't cried just trying to be strong but there are times that I have wanted to. Sometimes it is all just a little overwhelming.

Thanks for just listening.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Welcome, BlownAway
    I just wanted to welcome you, and encourage you to come here often and ask any questions. I also had never thought of joining a message board until I came here (I thought only antisocial computer geeks who live in their parent's basement joined message boards! :-o).

I really admire how proactive you're being -- knowing every step of your treatment plan (you'd be surprised how many women don't), and getting prepared for The Great Hair Loss. And coming here...with everything you have to deal with now, it's just as important to be proactive about marshalling support for yourself.

My diagnosis was very different from yours, but we most definitely have women here who've done TCH chemo, are HER2+, and/or are taking Arimidex....just know that you're in the company now of some great resources and the best support you'll find.

Traci
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, BlownAway
    I just wanted to welcome you, and encourage you to come here often and ask any questions. I also had never thought of joining a message board until I came here (I thought only antisocial computer geeks who live in their parent's basement joined message boards! :-o).

I really admire how proactive you're being -- knowing every step of your treatment plan (you'd be surprised how many women don't), and getting prepared for The Great Hair Loss. And coming here...with everything you have to deal with now, it's just as important to be proactive about marshalling support for yourself.

My diagnosis was very different from yours, but we most definitely have women here who've done TCH chemo, are HER2+, and/or are taking Arimidex....just know that you're in the company now of some great resources and the best support you'll find.

Traci

Welcome, BlownAway, to the
    Welcome, BlownAway, to the club that no one ever wants to join. Like the above poster, I congratulate you on being so proactive. I want to wish you the best in your treatment.
    Hugs & prayers sent your way....
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Tux said:

Welcome, BlownAway, to the
    Welcome, BlownAway, to the club that no one ever wants to join. Like the above poster, I congratulate you on being so proactive. I want to wish you the best in your treatment.
    Hugs & prayers sent your way....

BlownAway .. I am on the same exact chemo plan as
    you have described ... I've posted several response's .. only to have problems today .. So I will try again tomorrow.

VickiSam
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi and welcome BlownAway
    A little overwhelming is an understatement. Its a whole lot overwhelming. Thats why this site is so great. Hope we can help you through your journey.

Jadie<3
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    yeah I was new to message
    yeah I was new to message boards when I first signed in too. Didn't even post for a year or so but I'm addicted now.

I know overwhelmed too. So post when you can and read when you can't post. Someone is usually here to listen.

I bought a wig but never wore it. It gave me comfort to know I had it just incase I needed it.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

yeah I was new to message
    yeah I was new to message boards when I first signed in too. Didn't even post for a year or so but I'm addicted now.

I know overwhelmed too. So post when you can and read when you can't post. Someone is usually here to listen.

I bought a wig but never wore it. It gave me comfort to know I had it just incase I needed it.

Welcome
    You have a right to be blownaway and overwhelmed. After all, you got hit by a Mack truck, ran over and now you're sitting on the curb, still alive, while they tell you what's wrong with you and what they're going to do. It's something most of us have gone thru and its not fun. But you'll find you're in good company and there are a lot of beautiful courageous people on this site who understands and welcomes everyone. Sometimes I don't have much to add since I've only been diagnosed a few weeks and am on therapy to shrink my tumors before surgery. Some days you're up, some days you're down but there's always so much love and support here. Hope you feel better and we're here for you.
    Hope you picked yourself a great wig, I'm thinking about it. I might do something drastic and see if my hubby likes his new wifey.
  • BlownAway60
    Options
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the incouragement. I really appreciate it. Just knowing I have such a great support team helps. Wed is my first Chemo. Keep me in your prayers.

Also forgot to mention the 5-6 weeks of Radiation after Chemo. I guess everybody already knows the routine. You get a Lumpectomy you get Radiation.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Thanks for all the incouragement. I really appreciate it. Just knowing I have such a great support team helps. Wed is my first Chemo. Keep me in your prayers.

Also forgot to mention the 5-6 weeks of Radiation after Chemo. I guess everybody already knows the routine. You get a Lumpectomy you get Radiation.

Hi BlownAway and welcome to
    Hi BlownAway and welcome to the boards. I have pretty much the same diagnosis as you. Diagnosised in april, lumpectomy in June and now in chemo, next Rads and continued Herceptin for a year. You will find alot of support here. Again welcome.
  • mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Like the others - I'm right
    Like the others - I'm right here with you! My diagnosis was almost the exact same as yours - and with the high Oncotype, I'll be doing chemo too. I will be talking to the oncologist tomorrow to find out when the port will be placed and when therapy will start. And we are on the same regimen TCH + radiation + hormone therapy - so maybe we can compare notes as we go along!

Good luck on your first treatment. I'll be praying for you and sending good vibes your way!

Lori
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Like the others - I'm right here with you! My diagnosis was almost the exact same as yours - and with the high Oncotype, I'll be doing chemo too. I will be talking to the oncologist tomorrow to find out when the port will be placed and when therapy will start. And we are on the same regimen TCH + radiation + hormone therapy - so maybe we can compare notes as we go along!

Good luck on your first treatment. I'll be praying for you and sending good vibes your way!

Lori

Hi and welcome to this site!
    Hi and welcome to this site! Wishing you good luck!

Angie
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Hi and welcome to this site!
    Hi and welcome to this site! Wishing you good luck!

Angie

welcome
    It goes without saying we all wish you didn't need to be here. Yet, we are glad to be here for each other. Stay encouraged. These boards will help. They help me continually. You will be in my prayers for peace and strength and healing. Like everyone says visit as often as you need.

Becky
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Welcome, BlownAway. Just
    Welcome, BlownAway. Just wanted to welcome you and let you know we're here for you. I've finished my chemo and am about ready to start rads; hopefully next week. Good luck to you.
  • VickiSam
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome, BlownAway. Just
    Welcome, BlownAway. Just wanted to welcome you and let you know we're here for you. I've finished my chemo and am about ready to start rads; hopefully next week. Good luck to you.

Attempt #6 .. Donna - I am on the same program
    for DCIS - High Grade and Invasive Plus Her2 positive, however I am ER/PR negative.

I started my first of 18 weeks of Chemo on 9/8 - just completed week #9 this morning. My cycles again are the same as yours ..

Week 1 -- TCH
    Week 2 -- Herceptin
    Week 3 -- Herceptin

Week 4 -- TCH and so on. My side efforts have been varied, but the bone aches and fatigue seem to stay longer and longer with each treatment.

Our chemo is very aggressive, and our bodies do NOT get any rest between cycles - making life at times difficult .. It is doable, but difficult. I thank GOD for my family, support system (our BC site here) and friends.

Please check out chemocare.com - home page will display Scott Hamilton's photo - I found information relating to my side efforts (Onco doctor stated only hair loss and fatigue), but neglected to mention any other efforts. This site also gives you helpful hints on handling side efforts ... Useful information in my case.

I am here to help you anytime .. day or night ...

VickiSam
  • BlownAway60
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Attempt #6 .. Donna - I am on the same program
    for DCIS - High Grade and Invasive Plus Her2 positive, however I am ER/PR negative.

I started my first of 18 weeks of Chemo on 9/8 - just completed week #9 this morning. My cycles again are the same as yours ..

Week 1 -- TCH
    Week 2 -- Herceptin
    Week 3 -- Herceptin

Week 4 -- TCH and so on. My side efforts have been varied, but the bone aches and fatigue seem to stay longer and longer with each treatment.

Our chemo is very aggressive, and our bodies do NOT get any rest between cycles - making life at times difficult .. It is doable, but difficult. I thank GOD for my family, support system (our BC site here) and friends.

Please check out chemocare.com - home page will display Scott Hamilton's photo - I found information relating to my side efforts (Onco doctor stated only hair loss and fatigue), but neglected to mention any other efforts. This site also gives you helpful hints on handling side efforts ... Useful information in my case.

I am here to help you anytime .. day or night ...

VickiSam

Thanks VickiSam
    Thanks VickiSam
    I will check out the site you have indicated. I go for my first Chemo tomorrow. We will diffenatly have to compare notes.

My Onc gave me printouts of the drug fact sheets for all of the drugs I will be taking. I am just hoping that I am not hit with all of the side effects. I am sure I can tollerate some of them but having them buch up on you can be very depressing. My Onc switched me to TCH because he said that it was easier on your heart and some of the other drugs can cause heart damage down the road.

Again Thanks for your support and trying 6 times to get it to post. Remember I am here for you too. If I can help in any way.

Donna
  • BlownAway60
    Options

Lori

Lori
    Be glad to compare notes. Will try to post after Chemo tomorrow. Thanks to all for the prayers they must be working I found all of you didn't I.

Donna
  • VickiSam
    Options

Thanks VickiSam
    Thanks VickiSam
    I will check out the site you have indicated. I go for my first Chemo tomorrow. We will diffenatly have to compare notes.

My Onc gave me printouts of the drug fact sheets for all of the drugs I will be taking. I am just hoping that I am not hit with all of the side effects. I am sure I can tollerate some of them but having them buch up on you can be very depressing. My Onc switched me to TCH because he said that it was easier on your heart and some of the other drugs can cause heart damage down the road.

Again Thanks for your support and trying 6 times to get it to post. Remember I am here for you too. If I can help in any way.

Donna

Donna - No worries .. I can be reach via cell if ever you
    need someone .. I live in California ... Just let me know.

VickiSam
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on
    Welcome and good luck on your first chemo today. Sounds like you are well prepared. Take good care of yourself. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Marilyn
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Welcome
    BlownAway,

Welcome to the forum - you will find much comfort and information here for whatever you are going through. I have been posting here since my diagnosis and it is my "home away from home" and a place where I can talk about whatever is bothering me to people who understand and who have been there.

I had a bilateral mastectomy in August and ended up buying a mastectomy tank top (with fiber fill inserts) two days after my surgery. My husband didn't understand why I wanted to buy it so soon but I told him I wanted something just in case people came over to the house to visit or I was out somewhere. I have been back at work for over a month and most people I work with still don't know I had breast cancer (and that my breasts are gone).

I would like to let you know that it is ok to cry if you need to. I found that I was so busy doing things to get through my surgeries and treatments that I didn't take time to figure out how I was feeling. Things went so fast I didn't slow down until one day I was on the radiation table and just lost it and started to cry very hard. It is overwhelming and you have even more to deal with than some of us with your mother-in-law living with you and needing care. Don't try to do too much by yourself - get some help for your mother-in-law and yourself during this time and rest whenever you are able - your body will thank you for it later.

Take care and post often. Know that you are not alone in your fight.

Wolfi
  • mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    Options

Lori
    Be glad to compare notes. Will try to post after Chemo tomorrow. Thanks to all for the prayers they must be working I found all of you didn't I.

Donna

How Did It Go?
    I hope your first treatment went well. I'll have my first on Friday. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and me both!

Hugs and prayers going your way!

Lori