HELP! Has Anyone Had A Needle Excision/Aspiration Done?

DebbyM
DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had a needle aspiration or needle excision done on a cyst in their breast? I have a small one, a small bump, which the ultrasound said was a cyst and my surgeon said he can remove it in the office by needle aspiration. Does it hurt or what happens? I am suppose to call tomorrow to find out more info. They just called and wanted to schedule it with me. thanks

Debby

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Nope
    No, I haven't Debby. Why are you having it done?
  • kathyrcady
    kathyrcady Member Posts: 27
    needle
    I had a needle biopsy, and probeble is the same as what you are going to have. They injected a numbing agent,,lidocain,,painted it with iodine and I hadley felt the needle,,after wards just had to ice it off an on for a few hours. They have you lay a little tipped to your side with your arm up over your head. You should not take any ibuprophen type meds cuz that will increas bleeding potential and caouse bruisiong,,hope that helps,,,it hardle hurt afterwards,,jus took a couple tylenol,,which does not effect blood clotting,,godd luck,,kathy
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    I have had a Fine Needle Aspiration
    But it was to sample cells for biopsy, not to excise the entire cyst. I'm not sure if it would be different, but for me it was fairly painless and quick. Just a very small needle stick.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just ask plenty of questions when you get there.

Good luck!
  • DebbyM

I have had a Fine Needle Aspiration
    But it was to sample cells for biopsy, not to excise the entire cyst. I'm not sure if it would be different, but for me it was fairly painless and quick. Just a very small needle stick.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just ask plenty of questions when you get there.

Good luck!

They already took a sample
    They already took a sample to have it tested and it is benign, non cancerous. And, that really hurt. I just wanted it out and he said he thought with the needle aspiration that he could dissolve them or something that way. Then, I wouldn't have to have actual surgery. I had a lumpectomy and don't want anymore.

So, they just stick a needle in it? And, it doesn't hurt? What did you do with your cyst Cindy? Leave it in?

thanks
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    DebbyM said:

They already took a sample
    They already took a sample to have it tested and it is benign, non cancerous. And, that really hurt. I just wanted it out and he said he thought with the needle aspiration that he could dissolve them or something that way. Then, I wouldn't have to have actual surgery. I had a lumpectomy and don't want anymore.

So, they just stick a needle in it? And, it doesn't hurt? What did you do with your cyst Cindy? Leave it in?

thanks

Yes
    That one was several years ago on my left side, and hasn't given me any problems since. I was diagnosed this September with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma on my right side following a routine mammogram.

I'm sure the needle will be much easier than a lumpectomy would be. As they were testing me for my recent diagnosis I had another fine needle aspiration and 3 core needle biopsies (with a big needle - those hurt!) to check out the cancerous lump as well as other questionable areas on both my right and left side. All of those were easier than the lumpectomy, however.

Glad it was benign, and I hope it all goes well for you tomorrow!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    My sister had one.
    My sister had one done in the doctor's office and there was no pain. They numb the surface and for some reason the inside of the breast did not hurt at all. After my surgery, I developed a hemotoma and needed a needle asperation to remove the blood. Numbed the area and NO PAIN! I saw that needle and thought I would pass out but it didn't hurt at all. All in all, I needed 3 asperations after my surgery and it never hurt at all. You can relax but I would definately close my eyes.

Roseann
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    roseann4 said:

My sister had one.
    My sister had one done in the doctor's office and there was no pain. They numb the surface and for some reason the inside of the breast did not hurt at all. After my surgery, I developed a hemotoma and needed a needle asperation to remove the blood. Numbed the area and NO PAIN! I saw that needle and thought I would pass out but it didn't hurt at all. All in all, I needed 3 asperations after my surgery and it never hurt at all. You can relax but I would definately close my eyes.

Roseann

I had 2
    on my left breast. it was no big deal. it was done in the Doc office. To me it didn't hurt. I think she numbed it a bit. she just stuck the needle in and drew out the fluid. it was kinda greenish... and the cyst was gone!!!
  • terpsi
    terpsi Member Posts: 33
    fine needle aspiration
    Hi Debby,

I had cysts in my breasts, which never caused me any trouble. Then, two got so big they caused me discomfort. At that time, and this is some years ago, before BC in 2004, the gynecologist I was seeing suggested the needle biopsy while I was in the office. I freaked. What? A needle in my boob? Well, it was totally fine: no pain at all. A little anesthetic at the site of the needle insertion made the needle insertion painless. I couldn't feel a thing, and it was a very large cyst that drained several cc's of fluid. He drained two cysts that day. I had no significant after effects.

Now, when I went for the biopsy in my breast when we found the cancer in 2004, it was a different story. That was very uncomfortable, but the needle gauge was much, much larger and the entire process completely different.

Best wishes,
    donna peach
  • DebbyM
    Calleen said:

I had 2
    on my left breast. it was no big deal. it was done in the Doc office. To me it didn't hurt. I think she numbed it a bit. she just stuck the needle in and drew out the fluid. it was kinda greenish... and the cyst was gone!!!

Whew
    Thanks! I am not having it done yet. They scheduled it for December as it isn't an emergency I guess. I did have the core needle biopsy before I had my lumpectomy. Yes, that needle was big, but, I felt nothing. So, it was ok, cancer, but no pain.

But, when the doctor took some tissue out of this cyst, he said he gave me a local and it hurt, but, I still felt him pushing the needle in and that hurt too. Maybe this surgeon just didn't numb me enough. That is why I am scared to have this needle aspiration with him. Sorry, but, it did really hurt. They said that normally after these needle aspirations, that the cysts just go away. That is what I am hoping for. I don't want to leave it in. I guess I just need to be really clear that I want to be NUMB! Right? I don't like pain and I guess I am being a bit of a baby about it. But, I don't care. My boob is still tender from rads, I don't need more pain.

Debby
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    terpsi said:

fine needle aspiration
    Hi Debby,

I had cysts in my breasts, which never caused me any trouble. Then, two got so big they caused me discomfort. At that time, and this is some years ago, before BC in 2004, the gynecologist I was seeing suggested the needle biopsy while I was in the office. I freaked. What? A needle in my boob? Well, it was totally fine: no pain at all. A little anesthetic at the site of the needle insertion made the needle insertion painless. I couldn't feel a thing, and it was a very large cyst that drained several cc's of fluid. He drained two cysts that day. I had no significant after effects.

Now, when I went for the biopsy in my breast when we found the cancer in 2004, it was a different story. That was very uncomfortable, but the needle gauge was much, much larger and the entire process completely different.

Best wishes,
    donna peach

I haven't had one but
    I did have the core needle biopsy done, and, I didn't feel a thing. The needle was huge, but, I was so numb that I felt nothing. I hope everything works out for you Debby. Be sure and let us know.

And, I love your kitty waving. Too cute!

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Ritzy said:

I haven't had one but
    I did have the core needle biopsy done, and, I didn't feel a thing. The needle was huge, but, I was so numb that I felt nothing. I hope everything works out for you Debby. Be sure and let us know.

And, I love your kitty waving. Too cute!

Looks like you got some good
    Looks like you got some good advice. Maybe, you should talk to your doctor a little more about this if you are scared before you have it done. Good luck!

HUGS!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Looks like you got some good
    Looks like you got some good advice. Maybe, you should talk to your doctor a little more about this if you are scared before you have it done. Good luck!

HUGS!

I want to wish you good
    I want to wish you good luck! I hope it doesn't hurt at all. I am sure they can numb it, so, that you won't feel anything. Let us know.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    susie09 said:

I want to wish you good
    I want to wish you good luck! I hope it doesn't hurt at all. I am sure they can numb it, so, that you won't feel anything. Let us know.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Sorry
    I had a needle bopsy that didn't hurt at all. Then I got another lump and the surgeon aspirated it.. hurt like hell, but only for about 30 seconds. It's gone now. Make sure they numb it, they didn't do with me and it would have been a lot better if they had. Sorry you are going through all this, and sorry to have to be honest. I hope this helps. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Sorry
    I had a needle bopsy that didn't hurt at all. Then I got another lump and the surgeon aspirated it.. hurt like hell, but only for about 30 seconds. It's gone now. Make sure they numb it, they didn't do with me and it would have been a lot better if they had. Sorry you are going through all this, and sorry to have to be honest. I hope this helps. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxx

NUMB IT
    Just make sure they NUMB it first! Then, you shouldn't feel a thing. Let us know how you get along.