discouraged

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I feel like such a paradox, just finished AC 4 cycles, did well except for the constipation/diahrea. which exacerbated a prexisting issue. now have a fissure, and
gi system is so messed up. NP says unusual to have diahrea but I see people here report it. I wonder if it was the neulasta as it was always 5 days after treatment. now my life is non existant centered around what am i going to eat etc... seeing a
gi guy and dietician this week (have been busy with the surgeon) now taxol is going to start and I am so anxious, they say it is so much easier but somehow I have trouble believing it. I need to grear mysrlf up just having difficulty. anybody have any good stories about taxol? do you think its easier with 12 treatments than 4?

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Carkris
    I just finished Taxol last week. Other than everything tasting horrible and getting tired ,it was much easier than the A/C treatments. I'm also taking herceptin. Hugs, Diane
  • carkris
    chickad52 said:

Carkris
    I just finished Taxol last week. Other than everything tasting horrible and getting tired ,it was much easier than the A/C treatments. I'm also taking herceptin. Hugs, Diane

thanks, I just feel rather
    thanks, I just feel rather run down have lost 30 pounds (not that i didnt need to) how is the herceptin going for you?
  • carkris
    carkris said:

thanks, I just feel rather
    thanks, I just feel rather run down have lost 30 pounds (not that i didnt need to) how is the herceptin going for you?

did anyone ever take
    did anyone ever take glutamine for stomach issues?
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    carkris said:

did anyone ever take
    did anyone ever take glutamine for stomach issues?

I was on Taxol for 12
    I was on Taxol for 12 treatments (weekly) i did not have any problems. I have heard that 12 treatments are easier. I did not take glutamine, however, i did have some stomach issues. My doctor put me on Prilosec and that seemed to work
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    You are thru the worst of it!!!!!
    Hang in there, even the 4 times Taxol, which I had 3 years ago, was easier than the Adriamycin...With the AC, I had every side in the book, including bowel trouble starting day 3 after infusion.

Your comment about 'gearing up' is good. Just remember, this is not going to last too much longer...and then you go on with your life. I just accepted feeling awful for the period, and then celebrated the days I felt good!

I was still recovering from a bowel resection for colon cancer, 6 months earlier, so I never could be sure what was causing the upset....but I do know that I had pink (lovely) pee the day after infusion with the AC...

Drink PLENTY of water, and for the upset tummy...I drank ginger ale and ate scalloped potatoes...day 5, I was feeling better, so I always got a thick turkey sandwich from a local drivethru...on whole wheat, tomatoe, lettuce, and nothing else...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Taxol for me was so much
    Taxol for me was so much better than the 4 rounds of ac. I am currently on round 9 of 12 of the taxol. I still have constipation/diahrea problems. I have not been sick at all. I have felt pretty good except I am very tired lately. The food thing, well Red Meat for me is out for now. I can not stand the taste of it. Every now and again I come across something else that tastes bad. I have not lost any weight, and I can afford to. I have not gained any so I guess thats good to. I also get herceptin. I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck.
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Kat11 said:

Taxol for me was so much
    Taxol for me was so much better than the 4 rounds of ac. I am currently on round 9 of 12 of the taxol. I still have constipation/diahrea problems. I have not been sick at all. I have felt pretty good except I am very tired lately. The food thing, well Red Meat for me is out for now. I can not stand the taste of it. Every now and again I come across something else that tastes bad. I have not lost any weight, and I can afford to. I have not gained any so I guess thats good to. I also get herceptin. I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck.

Well wishes
    None of my treatment plan falls in line with giving you any recommendations. I want encourage you to hang on and push into this head first. You are on a homeward stretch. It is a long run. But you have lots of incredible people here cheering you on. You can do this. You do have an amazing life to enjoy. Know that the amazing women of this discussion board will lift you up with advise and encouragement. My thoughts and prayers will be with you so the discouragement will leave and make room for stamina to frun the race. Becky
  • carkris
    always said:

Well wishes
    None of my treatment plan falls in line with giving you any recommendations. I want encourage you to hang on and push into this head first. You are on a homeward stretch. It is a long run. But you have lots of incredible people here cheering you on. You can do this. You do have an amazing life to enjoy. Know that the amazing women of this discussion board will lift you up with advise and encouragement. My thoughts and prayers will be with you so the discouragement will leave and make room for stamina to frun the race. Becky

saw the GI doc today put me
    saw the GI doc today put me on a low residue lactose free diet Now where do i get my calories. I think he wants to rest the bowels and decrease the iritation. I hope it works. I gues syou are right need to just feel ucky and deal with it, and then get on. I did go buy myself something to wear as nothing fits, it felt good to be out and about. Question though why do they seem suprised about the diahrea other people here have it also??????
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    carkris said:

saw the GI doc today put me
    saw the GI doc today put me on a low residue lactose free diet Now where do i get my calories. I think he wants to rest the bowels and decrease the iritation. I hope it works. I gues syou are right need to just feel ucky and deal with it, and then get on. I did go buy myself something to wear as nothing fits, it felt good to be out and about. Question though why do they seem suprised about the diahrea other people here have it also??????

Calories....protein....and carbs...
    Scalloped potatoes was a BIG help for me...I'm still lactose intollerant (almost 4 years later) from all the chemo...sigh...BUT, there are fairly tasty lactose-free ice creams out there...and pasta (toss with margarine and herbs)and fruit juice (apple, etc...the clear stuff) has MONDO calories...check labels...under fiber....

I have no idea about the surprise to them....but, in my experience, there were many, many reactions that I had that surprised them...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Taxol WAY easier than AC.
    Taxol WAY easier than AC. Fatigue and bone pain. No nausea.
  • carkris
    Eil4186 said:

Taxol WAY easier than AC.
    Taxol WAY easier than AC. Fatigue and bone pain. No nausea.

I had my first taxol
    I had my first taxol yesterday 11 to go. I was so anxious because AC was a tough go from atypical side effects or shall we say more enhanced. anyway it went well no reaction and tolerated the benadryl which in the past made me antsy (although made a liar out of me) We shall see how the next days go, but one day at a time. thanks so much for your comments.