I made it through me FIRST Chemo

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well I made it through my first Chemo session. I had a few side effects while they were admistering the different drugs. Mostly headaches, dizziness and stomach discomfort. Mostly with the Taxotere. I took Emend before Chemo and have had no nausea so far <:-)(Me with no Hair). They also gave me more Decadran(Steriod),which effects my sugar levels, not good, since I am also a Type II Diabetic. I will have to watch my sugar really closely. I took Prilosec OTC as recommend by the Chemo nurse for my stomach discomfort. I had alredy read that it was what I needed to have on hand somewhere in this site. So I was prepared. I had my Chix Noodle Soup when I got home and am really tired but the nurse told us it would be better for me not to just lay around. So I am doing the next best thing and posting here. I spoke with a friend of ours that was having Herceptin. She had already done TCH Chemo and Radiation and was finishing up her every 3 weeks of Herceptin. She told me the worst for her was the diarrhea. I will probably need to some Immodium.

Thanks for all of your support, prayers and well wishes.

Always
Donna

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Congratulations, BlownAway!
    The first one is the worst one due to the unknown. I'm glad you made it through it. Now, the rest will be a little easier because you know what to expect. Good luck with them and take care. Be sure to drink lots of water, that seems to help too.
  • BlownAway60
    MyTurnNow said:

Congratulations, BlownAway!
    The first one is the worst one due to the unknown. I'm glad you made it through it. Now, the rest will be a little easier because you know what to expect. Good luck with them and take care. Be sure to drink lots of water, that seems to help too.

Thanks
    Working on my fourth 16.9 oz bottle
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Donna
    Despite all the discomforts, I'm glad you made it through the first one alright. Once you know what to expect, it's easier the following. Yes! Get some Immodium just incase! If you don't use it,all the better! I stocked up on Immodium,Senokot,Biotene Mouthwash,& Baking soda. So glad I did. I found CNS hard to eat with the drymouth so I got the Chicken & Stars instead. Hope your s/e are minimal!
    Take Care!
    Cathy
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Good for you!
    Glad it went OK. Good call on the water and the immodium. My doc. recommended this as well. You will know more or less what to expect now. It's funny, but you actually get good at handling the side effects after a while, and by then it's just about over. Best wishes.

Mimi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Bless your heart! As
    Bless your heart! As previously mentioned, the first one is usually the most difficult, and it seems you are doing just fine! Glad to know you are hydrating and flushing your system; it is really important!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Glad to hear
    It went well for you. It sounds like you were very well prepared and I hope the rest of your journey goes as smoothly.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • BlownAway60
    Cat64 said:

Donna
    Despite all the discomforts, I'm glad you made it through the first one alright. Once you know what to expect, it's easier the following. Yes! Get some Immodium just incase! If you don't use it,all the better! I stocked up on Immodium,Senokot,Biotene Mouthwash,& Baking soda. So glad I did. I found CNS hard to eat with the drymouth so I got the Chicken & Stars instead. Hope your s/e are minimal!
    Take Care!
    Cathy

Stock Up
    I also have the Biotene and baking soda. Found that in another post.

You all are just full of good information.

Donna
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Glad to hear
    It went well for you. It sounds like you were very well prepared and I hope the rest of your journey goes as smoothly.

Take care,
    Cindy

Glad you got through your
    Glad you got through your first round. That drug Emend is just great. Best of luck to you.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Kat11 said:

Glad you got through your
    Glad you got through your first round. That drug Emend is just great. Best of luck to you.

great job on the water thats
    great job on the water thats impressive! one done and in the books!
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    carkris said:

great job on the water thats
    great job on the water thats impressive! one done and in the books!

Congrats
    You are on your way now. Take it as it comes and keep up all your good hydrating. I found that Sams' advise and a few others about making sure I ate helped. If I stretched out eating my gut ached.

best to you. Thinking of you and wishing you well. Becky
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    always said:

Congrats
    You are on your way now. Take it as it comes and keep up all your good hydrating. I found that Sams' advise and a few others about making sure I ate helped. If I stretched out eating my gut ached.

best to you. Thinking of you and wishing you well. Becky

Emend is a wonderful drug that will
    keep you on the mend and sane. Hydrate, Hydrate and rest when you can. Next week Herceptin ..

I am thinking about you and praying.

VickiSam
  • mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    Congratulations! I hope the
    Congratulations! I hope the side effects stay minimal. I've heard the 3rd day is the hardest. . .but since I have my first treatment Friday, I haven't experienced the 3rd day effect myself! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't have to experience it either!

Lori
  • BlownAway60

Congratulations! I hope the
    Congratulations! I hope the side effects stay minimal. I've heard the 3rd day is the hardest. . .but since I have my first treatment Friday, I haven't experienced the 3rd day effect myself! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't have to experience it either!

Lori

All Good Thngs Must Come to an End
    Had to take Compazine at 6pm. Small dinner at 630pm 3 ribs 2 spoons brown rice and half a small salad. Took Diabetic meds right after dinner and went to the drug store with my husband and got Immodium. Tanked out at 800pm and went to bed. Up at 1211am. Checked temp 96.98(Normal for me is 97.6), sugar 178 not horrible but high. Mouth is really dry drinking more water. Cheeks are red from the steriods. Very tired but cannot sleep, steriods again. Glad I cut my hair, sweating a lot. Get my Nuelesta shot around 230pm today. Excuse any boo-boos I am really not with-it. I am in FL and it is the middle of the night here. Gonna drink some more water. maybe rinse my mouth with Biotene and try try try to go back to bed.

Cannot wait for day three.

Donna
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387

All Good Thngs Must Come to an End
    Had to take Compazine at 6pm. Small dinner at 630pm 3 ribs 2 spoons brown rice and half a small salad. Took Diabetic meds right after dinner and went to the drug store with my husband and got Immodium. Tanked out at 800pm and went to bed. Up at 1211am. Checked temp 96.98(Normal for me is 97.6), sugar 178 not horrible but high. Mouth is really dry drinking more water. Cheeks are red from the steriods. Very tired but cannot sleep, steriods again. Glad I cut my hair, sweating a lot. Get my Nuelesta shot around 230pm today. Excuse any boo-boos I am really not with-it. I am in FL and it is the middle of the night here. Gonna drink some more water. maybe rinse my mouth with Biotene and try try try to go back to bed.

Cannot wait for day three.

Donna

I'm following your posts. I
    I'm following your posts. I can tell you are going to do fine with this because you are armed with information and a no-nonsense ability to get the job done. Way to go!!! There will be high moments and there will be low. Just remember that you can do this and it is only for a certain amount of time. There is always graduation day when we get to tell the chemo staff that we hope to never see them again! Good luck! Pitt
  • BlownAway60
    pitt said:

I'm following your posts. I
    I'm following your posts. I can tell you are going to do fine with this because you are armed with information and a no-nonsense ability to get the job done. Way to go!!! There will be high moments and there will be low. Just remember that you can do this and it is only for a certain amount of time. There is always graduation day when we get to tell the chemo staff that we hope to never see them again! Good luck! Pitt

THANKS PITT
    I am feeling much better this morning <:-). Temp back up this morning to 97.6 and sugar back down to 152, not so scary. There was a Diabetic in the Chemo lab that told us that his suger went to over 600 and he had to be hospitalized. Not something I ever want to happen to me. Will be monitoring it very closely and I always watch everything I eat anyway. So should be doable. No nausea so far this am. Just nice rosie cheeks from the steriods.
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    you did it !!!! CONGADS!!
    just wanted to say congrads!! i was taken taxotere and herceptin lost my hair after 3 weeks of first treatment.. i am done with the taxofere but will be on herceptin for awhile NO SIDE EFFECTS!!! YEEPPPPY!! i had a pretty tough time through mine my counts were off and it was shot after shot. but i made it!!! and you will do just fine you already got a head start just take those meds and if you have any problems ask your dr. they have some great drugs for chemo effects.. well take care and good luck to you!!
    prayers with you!!
    brenda
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Treatments -- new here
    So glad I found this site.

Donna, it sounds like you know a lot about the side effects and what makes them better. The first treatment is the worst because you don't know what to expect.

I was diagnosed in July of this year. Doctors decided to do chemo first, then surgery. I have completed 5 of 6 chemo treatments. Each one brought me different side effects, but days after the treatment. My ACS support person never had any side effects, so its reassuring to read here that side effects are not abnormal. For me the mouth sores were the worst. Through it all, I have been able to work, except for several days around my treatments.

One more treatment to go next week, then the lumpectomy. I wish you the best in the remainder of your treatments.

Judy