after surgery bra

mberg
mberg Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am unclear if I need to buy a special bra for after surgery, or do they supply one. My surgeon mentioned I would be going home in a bra, but i didn't ask if I buy it or not? I just dont want any unnecessary jiggling after surgery! thanks monica

Comments

• sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    Monica.....
    I was sent home in a bra from the hospital. I was told I would be wearing this one for awhile. I have expanders in so not sure if that is your situation. I think it's included in the whole surgery thing.

Good luck with surgery!!
  • Grains
    Grains Member Posts: 27
    ARe you getting
    ARe you getting reconstruction? If you are, I have no answer. Are you having a lumectomy?
    I had a mastectomy. I did not have a bra when I went home. On my one week visit, I asked for a post mastectomy camisole and got one. It had soft boobs in it and I wear it all the time. It is so nice and soft, it pads my surgical site and is soothing.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Grains said:

ARe you getting
    ARe you getting reconstruction? If you are, I have no answer. Are you having a lumectomy?
    I had a mastectomy. I did not have a bra when I went home. On my one week visit, I asked for a post mastectomy camisole and got one. It had soft boobs in it and I wear it all the time. It is so nice and soft, it pads my surgical site and is soothing.

it depends on your hospital
    I had mastectomy and reconstruction and was not given bra.
    I had to shop for a bra myself.
    Definitely ask your surgeon.
  • mcsessions
    mcsessions Member Posts: 48
    Grains said:

ARe you getting

camisole
    Where did you buy this camisole?
    Thanks!
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    bra and camisole
    I was given one at the hospital too, but it was really uncomfortable and had a front velcro closure that was horrible. At my pre-op appointment the nurse suggested that I get a mastectomy camisole before surgery and I was so happy she did. It has little pockets for the drains too which was nice because it kept them out of the way. It was really comfortable and much easier on my scar than the one the hospital gave me. I got mine at Nordstrom and my insurance even covered it. (look into that.) You can get them online too - I think the ACS site sells them.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    mickeymom said:

bra and camisole
    I was given one at the hospital too, but it was really uncomfortable and had a front velcro closure that was horrible. At my pre-op appointment the nurse suggested that I get a mastectomy camisole before surgery and I was so happy she did. It has little pockets for the drains too which was nice because it kept them out of the way. It was really comfortable and much easier on my scar than the one the hospital gave me. I got mine at Nordstrom and my insurance even covered it. (look into that.) You can get them online too - I think the ACS site sells them.

No
    I had a partial mas and was sent home with what I had on............most uncomfortable and I couldn't even do it up myself......Bugger! So I got a few front-unloaders and was back on track (if lopsided as hell) for a while. Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxx
  • tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44

camisole
    Where did you buy this camisole?
    Thanks!

I got post-surgical
    I got post-surgical camisoles at a local mastectomy supply boutique. My surgeon wrote a prescription for them and insurance covered the cost of 3 camisoles. They have pouches for the drain bulbs, soft "poufs" stuffed with batting that can be adjusted to the appropriate size, and are extremely soft cotton. I love them! I still wear them almost daily because they are so much more comfortable than wearing a regular bra.

The hospital sent me home with a bra (if you can call it that!) that had a velcro closure in the front. It was quite uncomfortable. The elastic irritated my skin and the edges of the velcro poked my incision. I was elated when the soft camisoles arrived.
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    BRA
    I WAS SENT HOME IN A SURGICAL BRA WITH VELCRO FRONT CLOSING-----VERY TIGHT FITTING AND VERY UNCOMFORTABLE AND INSTRUCTIONS SAID TO WEAR IT 24/7 FOR 30 DAYS.....THERE ARE BRA PLACES, ASK YOUR DOCTOR OR NURSE OR CONTACT AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY IN YOUR AREA. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE OTHER AVAILABLE WHEN YOU COME HOME SO YOU HAVE ONE TO SWITCH TO WHEN YOU WASH IT...I AM ON MEDICARE AND THEY HELP PAY FOR MINE, CHECK YOUR INSURANCE. THE FRONT CLOSING IS A GOOD THING AFTER SURGERY...
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    BRA
    YOU CAN ALSO GO ONLINE WWW.TLCDIRECT.ORG THIS IS AMC SITE, THEY ALSO HAVE A CATALOGUE WHICH HAS HATS, SCARVES, BRAS, CAMISOLES, WIGS AND WHATEVER ONE NEEDS AFTER SURGERY---IF YOU HAVE A AMC SOCIETY NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE, I WENT THERE AND THEY GAVE ME A FREE BRA, A SLEEP CAP AND A SCARF---SO TRY TO VISIT ONE IF YOU CAN.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I was sent home strapped
    I was sent home strapped 'tight' - as if I was trying to look like a 'boy'. Told not to take off the bandage until it would be taken off at the Surgeon's office the next week. Accoding to Dr. to strap down the remaining one made a better/more even strapping for the surgery area (Mod. Rad.). The local ACS sent me a soft fiber-fill one to use for the time being and it's working great so far with the 'old' bras. Tomorrow I see the Surgeon agai to have the drains taken out (2 weeks post) so intend on talking with him then about next 'step'.
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    Rague said:

I was sent home strapped
    I was sent home strapped 'tight' - as if I was trying to look like a 'boy'. Told not to take off the bandage until it would be taken off at the Surgeon's office the next week. Accoding to Dr. to strap down the remaining one made a better/more even strapping for the surgery area (Mod. Rad.). The local ACS sent me a soft fiber-fill one to use for the time being and it's working great so far with the 'old' bras. Tomorrow I see the Surgeon agai to have the drains taken out (2 weeks post) so intend on talking with him then about next 'step'.

thanks
    you guys are great! I always get great responses from you!!!
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    mberg said:

thanks
    you guys are great! I always get great responses from you!!!

I got
    1 or really 2... I came out os surgery with one. it's a surgical bra. I had a double masectomy with immediate reconstruction. the first one was cut on by the surgeon and kinda bloody so when I showered the first time they gave me a fresh one. On the front it has 2 hook and eyes and then a zipper. it also had velcro adjustable straps. I still wear it at night. and my surgery was july 29th...