Cutting My Hair

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was thinking about cutting my hair before my first Chemo? The Chemo nurse told me that every hair folicle hurt after Chemo. My hair is thick and long about six inches past my shoulders and the idea of having all that hair falling out everywhere is just driving me nuts. I was thinking if I got it cut before it all fell out it would be less mess and less traumatic when it all did fall out.

I have my first Chemo tomorrow. I wore a bandana to work today to get everybody used to seeing me with it on. The guy who works in the office with me told me that it looked cute but did not really matter what I wore because beauty comes from with in and I would be okay no matter what I wore. Almost made me cry.

My husband's daughter sent me some make-up to use to replace my eyebrows. I told her I was looking for something and she got it for me and had her sec send it to me. Gotta love her.

Donna

Comments

• brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    i know how ya feel
    yes you do loose your hair but some dont due to what meds they get. i was on taxofere and herceptin and after the first treatment in 3 weeks mine came out in handfuls. my hair was long also and it was hard. but you know at least they tell you we know what to expect. i cut mine close when i first saw a sign it upset me but i knew it would come back and what i have been told by most it will be better than the first!! i just got off treatments oct 1 2009 and in 3 weeks mine is now coming back.. different color and everything..
    well just wanted to say good luck with your treatments and hope you the best!!
    take care
    HUGGGSSS!!

brenda
  • BlownAway60
    brenda247 said:

i know how ya feel
    yes you do loose your hair but some dont due to what meds they get. i was on taxofere and herceptin and after the first treatment in 3 weeks mine came out in handfuls. my hair was long also and it was hard. but you know at least they tell you we know what to expect. i cut mine close when i first saw a sign it upset me but i knew it would come back and what i have been told by most it will be better than the first!! i just got off treatments oct 1 2009 and in 3 weeks mine is now coming back.. different color and everything..
    well just wanted to say good luck with your treatments and hope you the best!!
    take care
    HUGGGSSS!!

brenda

I will be getting
    I will be getting Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. Looks like you took about the same as I will be getting. Chemo nurse said I would loose it all in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Donna
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233

I will be getting
    I will be getting Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin. Looks like you took about the same as I will be getting. Chemo nurse said I would loose it all in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Donna

hello
    Yes, I am on carboplatin, taxotere and herceptin. My hair started falling out exactly 2 weeks after first treatment. They said the faster your hair grows, the faster it will fall out. My hair was also long and thick and I chopped it before it started falling out and when it did, I shaved it. My eyebrows and eyelashes have not fallen out and I have had 3 treatments....im thankful for that! Good luck and stay strong..Remember, drink lots of water and start today if first treatment is tomorrow. This will help with flushing your system quickly.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Good luck, Donna,
    Yes, mine fell out right on schedule, too. I got it cut a cute, short style a few weeks before, and then went to the wig store the morning it starting coming out. They cut it all off for me and fitted me for a wig. My head never really hurt, though, and I never shaved it. I had stubble throughout chemo. It's not easy, even if you know what to expect. Give yourself an extra treat or take yourself out to dinner after it happens. This is a process. Good luck.

Mimi
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Sam726 said:

hello
    Yes, I am on carboplatin, taxotere and herceptin. My hair started falling out exactly 2 weeks after first treatment. They said the faster your hair grows, the faster it will fall out. My hair was also long and thick and I chopped it before it started falling out and when it did, I shaved it. My eyebrows and eyelashes have not fallen out and I have had 3 treatments....im thankful for that! Good luck and stay strong..Remember, drink lots of water and start today if first treatment is tomorrow. This will help with flushing your system quickly.

hair
    Sounds like you have beautiful hair ... and my suggestion would be to get it cut soon before it does start to fall out ... and donate it to Locks of Love.

It seems that most of the hair loss starts between day 13 and 20 after the first chemo treatment. For me it was day 15 ... and as soon as I ran my fingers through my hair on that day and ended up with a fistful of hair ... I high-tailed it to a friend's house and she shaved it all off. I took charge and it felt good.

hugs.
    teena
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    mimivac said:

Good luck, Donna,
    Yes, mine fell out right on schedule, too. I got it cut a cute, short style a few weeks before, and then went to the wig store the morning it starting coming out. They cut it all off for me and fitted me for a wig. My head never really hurt, though, and I never shaved it. I had stubble throughout chemo. It's not easy, even if you know what to expect. Give yourself an extra treat or take yourself out to dinner after it happens. This is a process. Good luck.

Mimi

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck Donna!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    DebbyM said:

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck Donna!

I am adding my good luck to
    I am adding my good luck to you Donna. We all support you!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Donna
    Yes, I was on taxotere and carboplatin and it took about two and a half weeks after my first treatment for it to start to fall out. Everyone laughed at me when I told them it hurt, nobody could figure out why, but it did. Then someone told me it was the hair root dying. It wasn't all that bad, it just felt wierd. My hair was short, gray, and permed curley. I started Chemo on November 21 last year, and now my hair is about an inch and a half long, still gray, but wavy and curly - it can't seem to make up its mind, but it sure has a lot of body. My brother who comes for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year shaved it for me last year, so he will be surprised to see how its grown back. It so hard to believe this is all behind me - it was a quick year. My eyebrows and lashes did not totally fall out, so just a little enhancing was all I needed, but when they grew back, I wound up with a unibrow! Got that taken care of fast!

Good luck tomorrow. Did you get a port put in? That makes it so much easier (another battle scar, but that was fine w/me). Go out for lunch or dinner after then go home and crash!
    I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Hugs - Pat
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    padee6339 said:

Hi Donna
    Yes, I was on taxotere and carboplatin and it took about two and a half weeks after my first treatment for it to start to fall out. Everyone laughed at me when I told them it hurt, nobody could figure out why, but it did. Then someone told me it was the hair root dying. It wasn't all that bad, it just felt wierd. My hair was short, gray, and permed curley. I started Chemo on November 21 last year, and now my hair is about an inch and a half long, still gray, but wavy and curly - it can't seem to make up its mind, but it sure has a lot of body. My brother who comes for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year shaved it for me last year, so he will be surprised to see how its grown back. It so hard to believe this is all behind me - it was a quick year. My eyebrows and lashes did not totally fall out, so just a little enhancing was all I needed, but when they grew back, I wound up with a unibrow! Got that taken care of fast!

Good luck tomorrow. Did you get a port put in? That makes it so much easier (another battle scar, but that was fine w/me). Go out for lunch or dinner after then go home and crash!

Hugs - Pat

Pat,
    They LAUGHED when you said that your hair roots hurt?! That is cold. Well, we'll only laugh at you because you're incredibly witty and funny. Hugs, girl.

Mimi
  • BlownAway60
    padee6339 said:

Hi Donna

Hugs - Pat

Well It Is All Gone
    I had it all cut off really short. My pony tail is only 9 1/2" so don't know if I can donate it or not. I think they want 10". Feels a lot different. I have not had short hair in 30 years.

Hoping I do not loose my eyebrows and eyelashes too.

Thanks for all the super support. Let you know how things go tomorrow.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Well It Is All Gone
    I had it all cut off really short. My pony tail is only 9 1/2" so don't know if I can donate it or not. I think they want 10". Feels a lot different. I have not had short hair in 30 years.

Hoping I do not loose my eyebrows and eyelashes too.

Thanks for all the super support. Let you know how things go tomorrow.

And, I bet you look
    And, I bet you look great!

Sue :)
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Ritzy said:

And, I bet you look

Donna wishing you the very
    Donna wishing you the very best tomorrow. When the hair starts coming out, I think you'll be happy you cut it short beforehand. You will soon join the rest of us baldies. My hair started falling out 14 days after my firt chemo. I was bald by my 2nd chemo. I still have some peach fuzz, and walk around bald in the house occasionally. My husband said my head feels as soft as a baby. It is soft, but I must admit I look much better in a wig or scarf. Sending pleasant thoughts and prayers your way.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Ritzy said:

And, I bet you look

Hair..........
    I had mine chopped into a most unflattering shortie on the was home from chemo #1.. It started falling out in handfuls 2 weeks later. But I had warning...The first hair to fall out was NOT on my head..OK...And the scalp hurts like hell when your head hair is getting ready to go. When this started, I got my husband to use his electric clippers and take the lot off. I had a load of fun with wigs and beautiful scarves. I hope you'll try to make the most of this horrible situation.........Hugs jxxxxxxx
  • BlownAway60
    padee6339 said:

Hi Donna

Hugs - Pat

Thanks Pat
    Got my port last Friday, still recoupertaing from that.

Funny thing about the port surgery they did not knock me all the way out and I could hear them talking. Don't remember what they said but was aware of them being there and doing stuff to me. Wierd.

Donna
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Thanks Pat
    Got my port last Friday, still recoupertaing from that.

Funny thing about the port surgery they did not knock me all the way out and I could hear them talking. Don't remember what they said but was aware of them being there and doing stuff to me. Wierd.

Donna

I had my head buzzed prior
    I had my head buzzed prior to 3rd treatment. did not want to deal with the hair coming out. i still have some as mimi described and have not lost all everywhere. although underarm and leg hair to not grow. I start taxol thurs. so may lose more then. I have slow growing hair. no port here. anyway best wishes.