endometrial biopsy

Hi all
I am having some issues understanding my pathology reports. First’s pathology report found cancer through an endometrial biopsy on September 21 2009. On Oct. 20 2009 I had surgery. Afterwards pathology report said no cancer was found. How can that that be? Has any one had this happen? So did I have cancer or not?
Confused.
Thanks SD

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    sd,
    Sounds confusing! I

sd,
    Sounds confusing! I would go back to my doctor and ask them to explain. I had a similar experience. Surgeon opened me up...couldn't do the surgery due to the mets. Took a bunch of lymph nodes and closed me back up. Stated the CA had attached to my bladder...went from an initial DX of 1B2 to IVA. Ten months later while talking to my radiology oncologist he changed DX to IIIB. When asked why, he skirted around the subject and did not give a definitive answer. I'm alive...that's all that matters at this time to me.
  • sd7777
    sd7777 Member Posts: 9
    beckyracn said:

sd,
    Sounds confusing! I

sd,
    Sounds confusing! I would go back to my doctor and ask them to explain. I had a similar experience. Surgeon opened me up...couldn't do the surgery due to the mets. Took a bunch of lymph nodes and closed me back up. Stated the CA had attached to my bladder...went from an initial DX of 1B2 to IVA. Ten months later while talking to my radiology oncologist he changed DX to IIIB. When asked why, he skirted around the subject and did not give a definitive answer. I'm alive...that's all that matters at this time to me.

endomertial biopsy
    Hi again....
    Just want to clarify. Pathology report said I had cancer only from endometrial biopsy tissue they took from me on September 21 2009.No other testing except for ultrasound and cat scan and they both did not detect cancer. Just enlarged uterus w/ thick lining.
    When I had surgery on oct.20 2009 the pathology report said no malignancy found in 11 lymph nodes, uterus, tubes or ovaries, vaginal margin, and omentum.
    My doctor explanation is all cancer cells were removed by endometrial biopsy done on September 21 09 and this cured me (because she got all the cancer cells in the biopsy) but the doctor did not know this until surgery on oct.20 09.
    My problem believing this is would not the cells continue to grow until surgery in my uterus and still show cancer cells. I mean would not the cells continue to grow again even if she removed all of them wouldn’t they return with no treatment.
    I am so confused I will see the doctor on nov 18 for more of a answer. There is not even staging of the disease for me because there was nothing to stage.
    So confused.
    sd
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    sd7777 said:

endomertial biopsy
    Hi again....
    Just want to clarify. Pathology report said I had cancer only from endometrial biopsy tissue they took from me on September 21 2009.No other testing except for ultrasound and cat scan and they both did not detect cancer. Just enlarged uterus w/ thick lining.
    When I had surgery on oct.20 2009 the pathology report said no malignancy found in 11 lymph nodes, uterus, tubes or ovaries, vaginal margin, and omentum.
    My doctor explanation is all cancer cells were removed by endometrial biopsy done on September 21 09 and this cured me (because she got all the cancer cells in the biopsy) but the doctor did not know this until surgery on oct.20 09.
    My problem believing this is would not the cells continue to grow until surgery in my uterus and still show cancer cells. I mean would not the cells continue to grow again even if she removed all of them wouldn’t they return with no treatment.
    I am so confused I will see the doctor on nov 18 for more of a answer. There is not even staging of the disease for me because there was nothing to stage.
    So confused.
    sd

sd,
    I can understand your

sd,
    I can understand your confusion. Hopefully you'll get all the answers your looking for on your next doctor visit. Good Luck!