Bone Pain without Neulasta?

always
always Member Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Bone Pain without Neulasta?

I am on taxotere and cytoxan no nuelasta shot? My bones hurt- yet everywhere on here I only see bone pain related to taxol or nuelasta. Anyone else experience this...advise. I am 5 days since first chemo last two have been unbearable. Later part of today a bit better. thanks in advance becky

Comments

• cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
    I had the bone pain for like
    I had the bone pain for like 2 days after the shot which I got the day after my chemo shot. My nurse had me take tylenol before the shot and it helped. What worked best for me was to just sleep that day! Felt bad sleeping the day away but it helped.
  • always
    cindyc59 said:

I had the bone pain for like
    I had the bone pain for like 2 days after the shot which I got the day after my chemo shot. My nurse had me take tylenol before the shot and it helped. What worked best for me was to just sleep that day! Felt bad sleeping the day away but it helped.

Thanks Cindy
    I know alot of posts indicate pain with Nuelasta shot...but I did not get one so I am confused. I do have bone islands non cancerous tumors found in the pet scan, but am uncertain if the pain is med related or what? Can't sleep.
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Bone Pain
    Hi Becky,

Taxotere, which I also had, is very similar to Taxol - and I had a lot of bone, muscle & joint pain for a few days after each treatment. Tylenol helped - and I've heard Claritin helps too, but I didn't know that when I was going through it. I did have the neulasta shot, but I know that these types of pain are also frequent side effects of Taxotere. Do mention it to your doctor - it is not uncommon to need strong pain meds.

Hang in there! I found the second treatment to be a little easier, but everyone is different.

Fran
  • always
    Fran1947 said:

Bone Pain
    Hi Becky,

Taxotere, which I also had, is very similar to Taxol - and I had a lot of bone, muscle & joint pain for a few days after each treatment. Tylenol helped - and I've heard Claritin helps too, but I didn't know that when I was going through it. I did have the neulasta shot, but I know that these types of pain are also frequent side effects of Taxotere. Do mention it to your doctor - it is not uncommon to need strong pain meds.

Hang in there! I found the second treatment to be a little easier, but everyone is different.

Fran

thanks Fran
    Today is better than yesterday. I just didn't expect the pain...sneaked by bad nausea. So I am irritated that this snuck up on me. I think part of the reason that tylenol isn't helping is that I waited too long and it just can't catch up. I was on singular and stopped taking it when heartburn got bad on day two, hoping to not add any aggravation. Maybe singular was working like claritin, and not taking it has made the bones worse. I am hanging in there and will be very greatful if round two is easier. Guess its just nice to know why I feel this way.

becky
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    I had pain from Taxotere. It
    I had pain from Taxotere. It causes alot of side effects which were not mentioned to me or listed in the materials provided to me. I hope it doesn't last too long for you.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Becky
    I had taxol and taxotere I think is similar. I used 800mg ibuprofen 2 times per day and it only worked for about 6 hours. My oncologist orderred allegra and that helped me a whole lot so why dont you give that a try?

Hugs
    Linda T
  • calvertcrafts
    calvertcrafts Member Posts: 93 Member
    bone pail
    I'm on the same cocktail with no shot and after my first chemo, the bome pain was intense for about 5 days but didn't start until after day 4. I sat covered with a blanket and used a heating pad. I have my next chemo next Tuesday so I'll let you know if I have more pain. Just keep your spirits up!!
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    I had some bone pain when i
    I had some bone pain when i had adromycin/cytoxin with nulasta shot.. then had HORRIFIC PAIN with the taxotere and nulasta shot.. so bad some days i would have tears in my eyes... when it got that bad.. I would take 2 vicoprofin (unlike vicodin: Vicoprofin has motrin in it.. its hydrocodone and motrin.. instead of hydrocodone and tylenol) 2 extra motrin (so i was getting a total dose of 800 mg of motrin) and lay in bed with heating pads on my legs and back and not move.. it was the only way I could get the pain to ease up...

GOOD LUCK .. TALK WITH YOUR ONCOLOGIST... pain is a terrible thing to deal with....
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Becky, I had the same chemo
    Becky, I had the same chemo drugs as you. I did have the Nuelasta shot and thought the bone pain I experienced was from that but it could have been from the taxotere. For what it's worth, the worst bone pain was after the first treatment. I didn't have hardly any pain with the last treatment. I did however take Tylenol every 4-6 hours starting on day 3. That was when the bone pain would start. Good luck and I hope the remaining treatments are tolerable for you. Do talk to your doctor as you may need stronger drugs than Tylenol.
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    know the feeling....
    i was on the same meds as you and i know how you must feel! there wasnt a bone in my body that didnt hurt they gave me some pain medicine that help at some time but it will get better mine didnt last but a day or two.. so hang in there and my prayers are with you!!!

brenda
  • always
    brenda247 said:

know the feeling....
    i was on the same meds as you and i know how you must feel! there wasnt a bone in my body that didnt hurt they gave me some pain medicine that help at some time but it will get better mine didnt last but a day or two.. so hang in there and my prayers are with you!!!

brenda

Feeling Human
    I took Linda T's suggestion for 800mg of ibuprofren. I hadn't taken that large of a dosage and 20 mg of claritan. Horrible cotton mouth...but bone pain began to subside within about 30 minutes. Thank goodness. That was about 12 hours ago. Starting to ache a bit. But I at least feel human. For awhile I was wishing the Mack Truck that had hit me had finished the job. But...I am much better now. So I am hoping each day is better and better. Now I can concentrate on my real life and gear up for chemo #2 expecting the same or similar experience as this time. If nothing it has once again reestablished that this too shall pass. Thanks to all of you for the advise and keeping me from thinking I was just plain a wimpy nut. Becky
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    always said:

Feeling Human
    I took Linda T's suggestion for 800mg of ibuprofren. I hadn't taken that large of a dosage and 20 mg of claritan. Horrible cotton mouth...but bone pain began to subside within about 30 minutes. Thank goodness. That was about 12 hours ago. Starting to ache a bit. But I at least feel human. For awhile I was wishing the Mack Truck that had hit me had finished the job. But...I am much better now. So I am hoping each day is better and better. Now I can concentrate on my real life and gear up for chemo #2 expecting the same or similar experience as this time. If nothing it has once again reestablished that this too shall pass. Thanks to all of you for the advise and keeping me from thinking I was just plain a wimpy nut. Becky

Bone ache ... You are describing my life
    I have tried everything - with exception of pain meds. 4th TCH treatment and neulasta next Tuesday and Wednesday and this time I must say, I will be asking for something stronger than advil. Days 3 to 6 are the worst for me. My problem is that I let the pain get so bad that when I finally decide to take anything - I hardly notice any relief when I take advil. Only after 4 or 5 doses do I then notice any relief.

I do have 800 mg ibuprofren and will start taking them the night I have my neulasta shot. To suffer for days from chemo is not a good way to live.

I also tried claritan -- didn't notice a difference last chemo, but I'll try it again. Anything to avoid losing 3 days of life.

Cotton mouth should go away is 2 days, drink plenty of fluids.

Good Luck and hang in there.

VickiSam
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    ASK FOR.....
    I had the same chemo cocktail. From what I was told it is the Taxotere......My legs started hurting during the first infusion.....then I had the Nuelasta injection.......that kicked my butt, bigtime the first time, but not afterwards......I was given prescription pain meds.....AND I TOOK THEM.....tried the Tylenol and Advil first, they did nothing.....My oncologist told me when he gave me the RX for the pain meds, there is absolutley no reason to suffer any pain what so ever.......I agreed 100% He advised me to take them at FIRST on a regular basis, every 6 hours.....so the pain didn't "get hold" of me......I took them for 2 days......what a difference they made! Ask for something if nothing else helps....

Hope you're feeling better......
  • always
    MAJW said:

ASK FOR.....
    I had the same chemo cocktail. From what I was told it is the Taxotere......My legs started hurting during the first infusion.....then I had the Nuelasta injection.......that kicked my butt, bigtime the first time, but not afterwards......I was given prescription pain meds.....AND I TOOK THEM.....tried the Tylenol and Advil first, they did nothing.....My oncologist told me when he gave me the RX for the pain meds, there is absolutley no reason to suffer any pain what so ever.......I agreed 100% He advised me to take them at FIRST on a regular basis, every 6 hours.....so the pain didn't "get hold" of me......I took them for 2 days......what a difference they made! Ask for something if nothing else helps....

Hope you're feeling better......

Thanks
    I am still not comfortable. But I don't feel like I wish I could run away from the pain. It was so bad I thought I would go crazy. The ibuprofren and claritan combo seems to help. But like VickiSam I have a tendancy to try to ignore the pain and then it is too late. I will be trying to keep this at bay. Hope everyone else here that has simialr pain gets the relief they need soon.

always becky