Has anyone ER & PR positive done the nutrisystem diet(lots of soy)?

sure_hope
sure_hope Member Posts: 60
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was trying to do the nutrisystem diet but most of the products have soy in them. Has anyone had tried it with positive ER & PR?

Thank you
Sheryl

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    I haven't
    But I would definitely discuss with your Oncologist if you're considering it. If you're trying to lose weight, I would recommend Weight Watchers. It does take a bit more work, since you can eat pretty much whatever you want, you just have to learn what combination of foods will keep you feeling satisfied and also meet the health guidelines of the program. Once you take the time time to learn it, however, it is a very adaptable plan, and the health guidelines (eating at least 5 servings of fruit/vegetables a day, drinking lots of liquids, etc.) seem to fit in well with the recommendations I've read for cancer prevention guidelines.

Just my .02 (No, I don't work for Weight Watchers, but I did use it to lose about 30 pounds and I really liked the fact that it taught me how to eat well for the rest of my life).

Good luck,
    Cindy
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Before bc I used a lot of
    Before bc I used a lot of soy products for health reasons. However, soy is not recommended for bc patients. I have finished surgery & rads & am now on tamoxifen. I asked the med onc. about it and he said to go ahead with the soy, as the tamoxifen would block any estrogen coming from the soy. However, I am not using nearly as much soy as before, just to be on the safe side. Good luck - no matter what plan you choose.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Tux said:

Before bc I used a lot of
    Before bc I used a lot of soy products for health reasons. However, soy is not recommended for bc patients. I have finished surgery & rads & am now on tamoxifen. I asked the med onc. about it and he said to go ahead with the soy, as the tamoxifen would block any estrogen coming from the soy. However, I am not using nearly as much soy as before, just to be on the safe side. Good luck - no matter what plan you choose.

I have lots of concerns about that type of program.
    Hi,
    I have some weight to lose but I have decided to stay away from plans that are based on products in prepackaged servings. Many call for microwaving them in the package which I have read can release chemical estrogen. Also, they have lots of preservatives. I would LOVE to be able to follow that type of program for the portion control and ease of preparation however I think BC has made me aware that whole foods prepared fresh are a safer choice. On the other hand, estrogen is made in fat cells so I'm determined to do something about the bulge. Life before BC was so much simpler!

Roseann
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    roseann4 said:

I have lots of concerns about that type of program.
    Hi,
    I have some weight to lose but I have decided to stay away from plans that are based on products in prepackaged servings. Many call for microwaving them in the package which I have read can release chemical estrogen. Also, they have lots of preservatives. I would LOVE to be able to follow that type of program for the portion control and ease of preparation however I think BC has made me aware that whole foods prepared fresh are a safer choice. On the other hand, estrogen is made in fat cells so I'm determined to do something about the bulge. Life before BC was so much simpler!

Roseann

No Soy For Me
    My onc told me to stay away from soy products as I'm ER+. I'm on Femara, to reduce my tumors. Femara is supposed to reduce the estrogen level and starve the tumors. She said not to worry about soy by-products which are in a lot of bought foods. I need to lose weight too and am eating a lot more fresh fruits and veggies.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Hi Sheryl. I am ER and PR
    Hi Sheryl. I am ER and PR +, so therefore, I have to avoid all soy products when possible. My oncologist said that it will be impossible to never have any soy, as, it is hidden a lot of times in foods. But, avoid it if you can.

Sue :)
  • Booberta
    Booberta Member Posts: 61
    Ritzy said:

Hi Sheryl. I am ER and PR
    Hi Sheryl. I am ER and PR +, so therefore, I have to avoid all soy products when possible. My oncologist said that it will be impossible to never have any soy, as, it is hidden a lot of times in foods. But, avoid it if you can.

Sue :)

Just read
    an article about soy and breast cancer. In premeno women it can be helpful but it is a no-no for post-meno women. Weight Watchers sounds like the way to go.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    My cancer was er/pr positive
    My cancer was er/pr positive and my oncologist said that dietary soy is fine in moderation. Soy supplements are not.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Eil4186 said:

My cancer was er/pr positive
    My cancer was er/pr positive and my oncologist said that dietary soy is fine in moderation. Soy supplements are not.

I am ER and PR postive, so,
    I am ER and PR postive, so, I cannot have soy. Ofcourse, I am sure that it is in certain things I eat, but, I am not aware of it.

Leeza
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    jnl said:

I am ER and PR postive, so,
    I am ER and PR postive, so, I cannot have soy. Ofcourse, I am sure that it is in certain things I eat, but, I am not aware of it.

Leeza

I've been advised to avoid soy
    I've not tried any of the Nutrisystem diets, but if there is a lot of soy, I'd have to pass. The oncologist said I could use soy sauce as a condiment, but be careful about soy in general. Before my dx, I used a lot of soy products, thinking they were good for me. Now I read labels and frequently find it in foods I would have assumed were "safe". Soy oil is "everywhere"...Chocolate...who knew? And yes, it is frequently disguised. For instance, if you see "hydrolized protein" on the label, it is very likely soy. Some products do identify it as "hydrolized soy protein", but many do not. This disease sure forces us to be proactive regarding nutrition.