Breast Cancer new to boards

dontlikeit
dontlikeit Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I beleive i will like this once i get use to moving around. I was a 20 year breastr cancer surviror until a couple weeks ago when diganosed in my left bresat. previous was my right bresat. then i had a lumpectomy, radiation then chemo. had one portion of node maligment. i can not rember what the size was. The current lump is 8mm. I have had the biopsy and waiting on an appointment with the surgeon to discuss my options. what i can not find info on is, is 8mm large or small or what. if i recall i think mine previous cancer was a 3mm; however couled be totally incorrect on that.

Comments

• rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Welcome
    I am sorry about your re-occurance, wow a 20 year survivor!! I bet you already know you will survive this time also. and I am glad you joined this group of amazing women and friends here. You will find so much comfort and support here. I know I have.
    Hugs, Jackie
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    TUMOR SIZE
    Welcome and Sorry you have to go through this again. You have reached a great site. Ladies are all very knowledgeable and supportive.

I think 8mm is very small. 10 millimeters equals 1 centimeter. 2 Centimeters is about 3/4 of an inch.

Post when you can.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Mine was 1.2 cm
    Mine was 1.1cms which was small.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Well, I know 8mm would be
    Well, I know 8mm would be larger than you'd like but mine was 6cm and 3 cm and a smaller one so to me that is small. Sorry you had recurrance. I had cancer in my nodes too. Make sure you ask the surgeon what small is considered.
  • dontlikeit
    dontlikeit Member Posts: 2
    how great and such quick replies. the doctor just called to schedule my surgury for Monday next week. i have not even checked up on this surgeon. Does anyone know a web address for researching doctors. my previous surgeon is retired and i have since moved away from Ohio. my previous surgeon used to joke with me. He called the right brest, his breat and would say things like, "I can tell you this, it is not coming back in my right breast". he was right about that. wish he had not retired, i trusted him so much.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729

how great and such quick replies. the doctor just called to schedule my surgury for Monday next week. i have not even checked up on this surgeon. Does anyone know a web address for researching doctors. my previous surgeon is retired and i have since moved away from Ohio. my previous surgeon used to joke with me. He called the right brest, his breat and would say things like, "I can tell you this, it is not coming back in my right breast". he was right about that. wish he had not retired, i trusted him so much.

I would google 'physician
    I would google 'physician profiles' with your state included. See what comes up. Usually states that I've checked out have a website to search for doctors backgrounds.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    BC has come a long way in the past 20 years.
    Hi Dontlikeit,

Your tumor is very small. Do you have a research hospital or teaching hospital nearby? They usually have the latest treatments and a wide variety of experts. That's often where the best and brightest docs hang out. I would contact your area hospital and ask for a surgeon who specializes in breasts. I found one that way. She was terrific! The surgeon can refer you to an oncologist.

Good luck! You will overcome again!

Roseann
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi dontlikeit
    I dont blame you...I dont like it either!!! I think your tumor is small, probably less than 1/2 inch so that sounds good to me. Guess thats a question to ask your surgeon though.

Twenty year survivor is wonderful and its great to know that there are those out there.

Hang in there, and keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs
    LindaT
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

Surgeons
    You could also google your surgeon's name and city, state, and get a rating that way. You should check out your surgeon and find out more about him/her. The first surgeon I went to was a big mistake and I checked around and found another one that I now have confidence in. My tumors are 2.2cm, 1.5cm and another smaller one plus node involvement. Sorry to hear you're going thru this again. Wishing you well and let us know how you're doing. Hugs to you.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Donlikeit, just wanted to
    Donlikeit, just wanted to welcome you. I know, you really don't want to be here, but this is a great group of very supportive and caring individuals. We'll help you get through this for the second time. Take care.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Donlikeit, just wanted to
    Donlikeit, just wanted to welcome you. I know, you really don't want to be here, but this is a great group of very supportive and caring individuals. We'll help you get through this for the second time. Take care.

Just wanting to welcome you
    Just wanting to welcome you as the others have. I am sorry about your recurrence. We all fear that. We will help you in anyway that we can!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi dontlikeit
    I dont blame you...I dont like it either!!! I think your tumor is small, probably less than 1/2 inch so that sounds good to me. Guess thats a question to ask your surgeon though.

Twenty year survivor is wonderful and its great to know that there are those out there.

Hang in there, and keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs
    LindaT

Welcome to this wonderful
    Welcome to this wonderful board. But, I am sorry that you had to come here because of bc.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Dontlikeit
    I sure agree with you on that! I'm sorry you have a recurrance, I can't imagine what that feels like. Sometimes when you google your physician's name they will give you websites with patient comments. But I say WELCOME to this site with all its Amazing Women and Men!
    Hugs and Prayers - Pat
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, don'tlikeit
    Congrats on being a 20-year survivor! 8mm is tiny and it's great that they caught it at this stage. Mine was considered pretty small and it was 2.6cm. You will be a survivor again before you know it. Good luck.

Mimi
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    rjjj said:

Welcome
    I am sorry about your re-occurance, wow a 20 year survivor!! I bet you already know you will survive this time also. and I am glad you joined this group of amazing women and friends here. You will find so much comfort and support here. I know I have.
    Hugs, Jackie

Hi and welcome! I am so
    Hi and welcome! I am so sorry that you had a recurrence, and, after 20 years. You are not alone though, there are several on here with multiple recurrences unfortunately. You beat bc the first time though, and, you will again. And, we will help you! Once again, I am so sorry.

Sue :)