heart attack after breast cancer

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
In July of 2008, I had a heart attack. I am not overweight, have low blood pressure and have no family history or risk factors. In 1987, I had received 2 months of left-sided radiation for breast cancer after mastectomy. I have been reading about the risks (particularly earlier radiation) being associated with heart disease. Wondering if anyone else has heard or experienced heart disease long after treatment?

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    That's Scary...
    I never heard that before, but as I'm currently doing radiation...I'd sure like to know more too....
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

That's Scary...
    I never heard that before, but as I'm currently doing radiation...I'd sure like to know more too....

heart disease and radiation
    I had read the British study implicating radiation with heart disease several months before I had the heart attack. I believe that helped save my life because I was aware that it could be a possibility. None of the initial docs that I saw were aware of the link and the Er docs thought I was fine because I am not overweight and am so active, etc. It wasn't until my cardiac enzymes began to climb that everyone began to rush around. The study was in BMC Cancer--I think in 2007. However, of course I would still have radiation (just had it again) as cancer also kills! Just want everyone else to be aware. There were some guidelines published by Duke University physicians recommending possible prophylactic meds (all of which I am now on) such as statins in certain survivors with borderline cholesterol. Not sure how to put a link in here?
  • BELIEVEx3
    BELIEVEx3 Member Posts: 24
    Heart Attack
    I have had an MI after treatment for breast cancer which included radiation of my left chest. My LAD was in the field of radiation and is where the artery was blocked. Radiation has changed over the years and "they" are better at protecting the heart. Those of us who were treated more than 10 years ago are more at risk. Your long term follow-up should include a stress echo. And as a woman, we must all listen to our hearts............
  • BELIEVEx3
    BELIEVEx3 Member Posts: 24
    dyaneb123 said:

That's Scary...

Do not be scared
    We make treatment decision based on saving our lives. Radiation has a known risk to the heart, especially with left sided radiation and for people who receive chest radiation treatments for various types of cancer including children. The important news to take away fro this is once again, listen to your body and never stop telling someone about a symptom. Women and heart disease present differently than men. It is not necessarily a crushing pain in the middle of your chest. The discomfort may be a subtle pressure, in the chest, in the shoulders, jaw or arms. It may be nausea, shortness of breath, or fatigue, the things that seem so familiar as you forge through treatment. The symptoms are often brought on by exertion or emotional stress. You do not have to be overweight, or old or have high cholesterol. All women should have a baseline stress echo prior to treatment. And all women should follow-up long term with an oncologist who is aware of the risks involved. To date women are still often ignored, told it is their "nerves," that we are too young or do not have risk factors, we need to teach them that with radiation and some of our chemo, none of the other risk factors matter. Our treatment can be a risk. But thank goodness for the treatment. I know I would not be here without it.................and would not trade a treatment for the life I have, despite my setbacks.....
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    BELIEVEx3 said:

Heart Attack
    I have had an MI after treatment for breast cancer which included radiation of my left chest. My LAD was in the field of radiation and is where the artery was blocked. Radiation has changed over the years and "they" are better at protecting the heart. Those of us who were treated more than 10 years ago are more at risk. Your long term follow-up should include a stress echo. And as a woman, we must all listen to our hearts............

Yes, I have heard of this.
    My radiologist oncologist told me that radiation on the left side does present some risk of heart damage. She also said that it was more risky years ago. I'm very sorry about your heart attack.

Roseann
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Age is also a factor....and chemo...sigh...
    Everything to keep we breast cancer survivors alive can impact out hearts...

Even just STAYING alive...lol...I just read an article in my cardiologist's office (yes, I'm having heart troubles) that said any woman over 50 needs to be much more aware...signs of a heart attack are sometimes explained away in women, and are different than in men...

Thanks for the info, I will share what my guy says this week after my test results...

Hugs, Kathi