another newbie

newbiefromcananda
newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hello I am another "newbie" I am 38 years old, 4 children (a nurse myself) and have had my lumpectomy and pathology report (stage III grade 2) invasive breast cancer, I try to stay positive for the most part but also find myself crying , the stories everyone shares on here are remarkable and give everyone hope and inspiration I am glad to be a part of the discussion board thanks ladies (and men) ....lisa

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, Lisa
    Just wanted to welcome you, and encourage you to ask any questions you have.

I'm 40, and had bilateral lumpectomies in June. I'm done with chemo, have started Tamoxifen, and am about to start radiation. Of course you'll have times you cry -- you wouldn't be human if you didn't -- don't let anyone tell you you should (or even can) be positive ALL the time!

Let us know how we can help, anytime. The women and men on this board are the best resources you can have.

Traci
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Staying positive
    I am not an 'old timer' here for sure but there are such amazing women on here. They step up to the plate right away to offer just the right words. I have days when I'm down but very fortunately, for now, it only lasts a day. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June. I wanted to make all the right choices because it's very important 'how' we deal with it. I had a mastectomy of my left breast on Aug. 27th and the pathology report put me in stage 3a. It turns out my tumor was 7 cm... yeah, HUGE! I started chemo last week and, thank God, for small (or in this case HUGE favors), I haven't experienced any horrible side affects. I plan to beat this, and so will you! It's important to stay positive and don't ever lose it (for more than a day). I really believe we all have to be allowed down time, but it's important to stay focused. What's the point in living if we live in fear? It's just crazy that everyone I talk to in life knows someone that has had breast cancer, and low & behold we seem to be winning the battle. There may not be a 'cure' but they sure have come a LONG way in survival rates. It's unfortunate that you have to be here, Lisa, but you found a fantastic site! Post any questions you might have, and everyone here will do the best they can to point you in the right direction. Remember, you might have cancer, but cancer doesn't have you. Fight to win!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Lisa
    Welcome to the boards!! You will find a whole lot of support here. Believe me there always is someone who is going thru the same thing you are or has been thru it previously. I had bilateral mastectomy in may with invasive ductal cancer high stage 2 her 2 positive. I still need reconstruction sometime next year and just finished chemo 3 wks ago. I will need to take herceptin every 3 wks until august and am considering a clinical trial as well. I too am a nurse and do home health. My kids are 19 and 23 so are out of the house and my husband is retired. I work full time, but dont have any home responsibilities.

You have alot more pressure on you with managing all of this with 4 kids, I assume pretty young based on your age. One piece of advice I would give you is this: women in general are caregivers and nurses are especially good in that role, but right now you will not be able to give to anyone if you dont take care of you first. The treatment phase of this will not last forever and you will need to rest, eat drink lots of fluids EXERCISE to stay well. I was lucky that my employer allowed me to work 1/2 days the week after chemo. I was pretty much able to work about 25 hours per week initially then up to 35 to 38 hours per week.

If you need an antidepressant, ask for one and an antianxiety as well. I am on paxil and have xanax prn which I rarely use now. When I first was diagnosed, all I did was cry. I could barely concentrate on patient care cuz my head was not into it at all.

There are lots of young women on this site who are going thru this with young kids. I am sure they will post soon. Meanwhile, please take care of yourself first! and post often, cuz we are all here for you

Hugs
    Linda T
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Welcome Lisa,
    sorry that you have to be here-but this is a wonderful site that will hopefully prove to be invaluable to you as it is to the rest of us!
    You can make it through this-it is a rough road,but you can do this!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Lisa
    Just wanted to welcome you, and encourage you to ask any questions you have.

I'm 40, and had bilateral lumpectomies in June. I'm done with chemo, have started Tamoxifen, and am about to start radiation. Of course you'll have times you cry -- you wouldn't be human if you didn't -- don't let anyone tell you you should (or even can) be positive ALL the time!

Let us know how we can help, anytime. The women and men on this board are the best resources you can have.

Traci

Hi and welcome Lisa! You
    Hi and welcome Lisa! You will find lots of support and encouragement here.

KYLEZ ♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Lisa
    Welcome to the boards!! You will find a whole lot of support here. Believe me there always is someone who is going thru the same thing you are or has been thru it previously. I had bilateral mastectomy in may with invasive ductal cancer high stage 2 her 2 positive. I still need reconstruction sometime next year and just finished chemo 3 wks ago. I will need to take herceptin every 3 wks until august and am considering a clinical trial as well. I too am a nurse and do home health. My kids are 19 and 23 so are out of the house and my husband is retired. I work full time, but dont have any home responsibilities.

You have alot more pressure on you with managing all of this with 4 kids, I assume pretty young based on your age. One piece of advice I would give you is this: women in general are caregivers and nurses are especially good in that role, but right now you will not be able to give to anyone if you dont take care of you first. The treatment phase of this will not last forever and you will need to rest, eat drink lots of fluids EXERCISE to stay well. I was lucky that my employer allowed me to work 1/2 days the week after chemo. I was pretty much able to work about 25 hours per week initially then up to 35 to 38 hours per week.

If you need an antidepressant, ask for one and an antianxiety as well. I am on paxil and have xanax prn which I rarely use now. When I first was diagnosed, all I did was cry. I could barely concentrate on patient care cuz my head was not into it at all.

There are lots of young women on this site who are going thru this with young kids. I am sure they will post soon. Meanwhile, please take care of yourself first! and post often, cuz we are all here for you

Hugs
    Linda T

Hey Lisa. Welcome to the
    Hey Lisa. Welcome to the best support group ever!

HUGS!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Welcome Lisa,
    sorry that you have to be here-but this is a wonderful site that will hopefully prove to be invaluable to you as it is to the rest of us!

Hi Lisa! Sorry that you are
    Hi Lisa! Sorry that you are here because of bc. Just know that we are here for you. And, crying or venting is part of having bc unfortunately. Good luck!

Debby
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Welcome Lisa,

Hi anothernewbie! I always
    Hi anothernewbie! I always hate to see new ones as that means that another bc diagnosis was made, but, if you need some help, this is the place to be. Good luck to you!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Angie2U said:

Hi anothernewbie! I always
    Hi anothernewbie! I always hate to see new ones as that means that another bc diagnosis was made, but, if you need some help, this is the place to be. Good luck to you!

Hi There
    I am also in Canada. Ontario. But im a Limey. I wish you all the best and welcome.. Hugs jxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Marlene_K said:

Staying positive
    I am not an 'old timer' here for sure but there are such amazing women on here. They step up to the plate right away to offer just the right words. I have days when I'm down but very fortunately, for now, it only lasts a day. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June. I wanted to make all the right choices because it's very important 'how' we deal with it. I had a mastectomy of my left breast on Aug. 27th and the pathology report put me in stage 3a. It turns out my tumor was 7 cm... yeah, HUGE! I started chemo last week and, thank God, for small (or in this case HUGE favors), I haven't experienced any horrible side affects. I plan to beat this, and so will you! It's important to stay positive and don't ever lose it (for more than a day). I really believe we all have to be allowed down time, but it's important to stay focused. What's the point in living if we live in fear? It's just crazy that everyone I talk to in life knows someone that has had breast cancer, and low & behold we seem to be winning the battle. There may not be a 'cure' but they sure have come a LONG way in survival rates. It's unfortunate that you have to be here, Lisa, but you found a fantastic site! Post any questions you might have, and everyone here will do the best they can to point you in the right direction. Remember, you might have cancer, but cancer doesn't have you. Fight to win!

Marlene, just wanted to
    Marlene, just wanted to comment that my tumors were 6cm and 3cm and another smaller one. I was a stage 3a also and was grade 3 and was diagnosed in 2003. Just wanted you to know that.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I found this board after
    I found this board after treatment. Wishing you the best with the rest of your treatment.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Marcia527 said:

I found this board after
    I found this board after treatment. Wishing you the best with the rest of your treatment.

Welcome to this board. I
    Welcome to this board. I would agree with the earlier posters who advised you to eat right, get plenty of rest, take care of yourself first, and exercise. I wish you the best in your treatment.
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi Lisa
    And welcome to the club. Glad that you found us although sorry for the reason. Hope you get the help and support that you need here.

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    thanks
    this site is just amazing, when I feel down or start to cry I come to this site !! I feel surrounded by good friends the positive feelings , thoughts and prayers keep me strong...thanks again to a great bunch of wonderful people....xoxoxoxoxo.....Lisa